Japanese IME support (linux)

shaun....@us.socionext.com

Mar 15, 2017, 2:34:00 PM3/15/17
Wondering if there is any IME support in Tk, specifically for Japanese on Linux ?
(preferably for RHEL/CentOS/Fedora)

In the very distant past (Tcl 8.0/8.1), a custom version of Tk supported kinput2. For example, you could bind to a text widget '$w' as follows to show Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana alternatives via kinput2 from 'romaji' text entered on the keyboard :

bind $w <Control-space> {kinput_start %W}

Searching on the internet suggested that there were problems, a while ago, in Tcl/Tk 8.4.x with XIM (X Input Methods) via "tk useinputmethods". Were these problems ever resolved ?

Kinput2 is very old (I believe obsolete). Other IME systems for Linux are now used, for example SCIM, anthy, etc, but I'm not sure how to integrate/collaborate with these through Tcl/Tk ...

Can anyone steer me in the right direction ?

Shaun

Brad Lanam

Mar 15, 2017, 8:17:45 PM3/15/17
On Linux, ibus-daemon is the most common, and comes pre-installed on several variants of Linux.

I think 'fcitx' with 'mozc' (rather than anthy) is also popular for Japanese.

There is currently some lack of support for IMEs in Tk 8.6.6. This will be fixed in 8.6.7. You will notice this if you try to restart the ibus-daemon and Tk will crash.

I suspect that 'tk useinputmethods' is quite old, and I know it isn't necessary. Just use the IME as usual.

shaun....@us.socionext.com

Mar 16, 2017, 3:13:58 PM3/16/17
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a closer look at ibus-daemon and fcitx...
Shaun