testing minitree hobby application

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 12:16:32 PM7/13/15
HI-

I am working on a hobby application I call minitree. It is a note taking application.

I am wondering if there are any tcler's that have teapot and can check out my minitree manual at my site, see if they meet the requirements, and help me test it. My site is at www.3rdshiftcoder.net. I think the only thing that has to be configured is the the connectToDB proc in my source file.

I am asking here because I don't know anyone who has Tcl/TK elsewhere. I am hoping that maybe someone who meets the software requirements listed in the manual could try it out, and it won't take too much time. I only have one notebook, and it doesn't support hardware virtualization.

If you check it out and it runs okay in wish8.6, per the manual, please let me know at thirdsh...@gmail.com.

If you don't have time and/or are not interested, I understand, and that is okay too.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx - jim mcnamara

Arjen Markus

Jul 13, 2015, 2:27:02 PM7/13/15
Just a quick thought:
To make the customisation easier, you could store the connectToDB procedure in a separate file and use the [source] command to load the definition at run time. That way people can simply store that procedure once and you can develop new versions without them having to change the source code.

And: I guess the BWidget people will be interested in the bug you mentioned.

Regards,

Arjen

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 2:59:09 PM7/13/15
Hi Arjen-

Okay. I will start working on a fix later this week for the connectToDB. That is a cool idea!

My apologies if people think i said the bug is with BWidget. It is not. It is something unique that I had a little difficulty with in my program. BWidget is awesome and works great. TkProE loads BWidget code and saves it in my .tcl file, but I insisted on keeping it because I like BWidget. I think I can make it so the BWidget code doesn't end up being saved, but I'd have to figure out what namespaces to exclude.

E.g. If the program were to encounter Toplevel .t and then a second Toplevel .t, it might complain that .t already exists. I had a similar reference problem to a name that is related to BWidget. I tried to fix my program, so that I am not referencing the same name in the code twice.

thanks very much for writing,
jim

Richard Owlett

Jul 13, 2015, 3:08:52 PM7/13/15
thirdsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> HI-
>
> I am working on a hobby application I call minitree. It is a note taking application.
>
> I am wondering if there are any tcler's that have teapot and can check out my minitree manual at my site, see if they meet the requirements, and help me test it. My site is at www.3rdshiftcoder.net. [snip]

I just clicked on the link and got:
"If you are the owner of this web site you have not uploaded (or
incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading
your web site using FTP client software or web design software,
click here for FTP Upload Information."

Arjen Markus

Jul 13, 2015, 3:09:09 PM7/13/15
Op maandag 13 juli 2015 20:59:09 UTC+2 schreef thirdsh...@gmail.com:
Note you can also put up a page on the Wiki, if you feel comfortable with that. It is a less volatile system and may attract more people.

Regards,

Arjen

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 3:24:37 PM7/13/15
I am trying to think why you got that. I bet you have javascript turned off. Yes. I just tried it with the scripts off. Hmmm. I am not a very good website person. Unless my site has been hacked, there is no malicous javascript on that page. It is just a couple of lines of a redirect if I remember burried in the wordpress. I will have to stop and think this over. Maybe I can figure out something for this weekend. I don't even know where to begin. I will have to see if I can find all my website passwords, so I can investigate.

Sorry for shutting you down like that!

jim

Arjen Markus

Jul 13, 2015, 3:28:54 PM7/13/15
Op maandag 13 juli 2015 21:24:37 UTC+2 schreef thirdsh:
> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 3:08:52 PM UTC-4, Richard Owlett wrote:
Well, a quick alternative is to post the code on the Wiki :).

Regards,

Arjen

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 3:31:22 PM7/13/15

> Note you can also put up a page on the Wiki, if you feel comfortable with that. It is a less volatile system and may attract more people.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

I will definitely consider that. I will google and do some reading about that later on. Thanks for the suggestion!

jim

Richard Owlett

Jul 13, 2015, 7:51:28 PM7/13/15
thirdsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 3:08:52 PM UTC-4, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> thirdsh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> HI-
>>>
>>> I am working on a hobby application I call minitree. It is a note taking application.
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there are any tcler's that have teapot and can check out my minitree manual at my site, see if they meet the requirements, and help me test it. My site is at www.3rdshiftcoder.net. [snip]
>>
>> I just clicked on the link and got:
>> "If you are the owner of this web site you have not uploaded (or
>> incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading
>> your web site using FTP client software or web design software,
>> click here for FTP Upload Information."
>
> I am trying to think why you got that. I bet you have javascript turned off.

You got it in 'one'.
*BUT* not why you thought.
As a matter of policy I *NEVER _EVER_* view an unknown site with
JavaScript enabled.
I'm used to getting STRANGE results ;/
THEREFORE my first reaction was to "view HTML" [ as a SeaMonkey
user I did Cntrl-U].
I did not see anything "strange".
_*HOWEVER*_ I just looked at the page with JavaScript enabled.
I got something which I assume was your intended page.

Any page acting that way is presumed to be TERMINALLY *MALICIOUS*
!!!!!

P.S. I date from era of 20 mA current loops. I can be ... ;/

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 9:21:00 PM7/13/15
When I set that site up a long time ago, I didn't like they way it came off.
It was a hack. It wouldn't load the right page, so I did a javascript redirect to the
real page to fool it. It is good to know that for that reason I am
scaring people away! Anything I basically do with a website is a hack.
I could use a course or two. I have hidden all my passwords, so I will
be calling this weekend to get that sorted out.

Thanks for checking!
jim

Olivier

Jul 14, 2015, 4:51:46 AM7/14/15

> As a matter of policy I *NEVER _EVER_* view an unknown site with
> JavaScript enabled.

To Richard : Just doing like you and certainly many ! In that case I just look at "3rdshiftcoder" with Google, and a "cache" is accessible giving a view to Jim's website.

To Jim : One reason I cannot try your application is that I don't use teapot, my notebook for work having no connection to Internet. But I opened the source "miniTree06292015" to see what was the difference of the treeview in 8.6 and your miniTree. What struck me is that you are using BLT which is no more supported. Is there a reason you want to use BLT ? Youcan find here and there some supported version, but I think that BLT is not supported by ActiveState.

Olivier.

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2015, 7:27:59 PM7/14/15
Olivier, the BLT is just some old code I need to clean out.

It is a template in TkProE, and I probably wanted to see what happened when I inserted a template.

One time I sourced some code experimenting with trying to get something to work, and I didn't realize at that time that it would load into my project and save itself. That was no fun. Now, I know to use source judiciously.

Part of what my little app does is draw dynamically a treeview based on ltree paths. The user decides which path they want to display in the tree and all of the ltree labels and that are related to that are displayed. I have seen coders here that could code that much fancier and faster than I ever did.

It is my own little creation. Kind of like when Paul Schaffer wanted the opera singer to sing the song pasty white thighs with him on the David Letterman show. The famous opera singer Pavarotti replied, "No thanks. It is his own creation".

I get some practice anyway. That is my goal. Pick up a little each time as I go.

Thanks,
jim

Rich

Jul 14, 2015, 10:56:44 PM7/14/15
You do not need javascript for a redirect. If you can't modify the
server headers then you can use an HTML <meta> tag in the <head>
section of the document with a zero second timeout to redirect from one
URL to another. No javascript required at all.

thirdsh...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 1:15:58 AM7/15/15
okay. cool. I am going to look at that this weekend then. It doesn't sound too difficult. I will just search around. Thx for the idea!