Building the master branch of the git mirror triggers error with "zconf.h" … VS2017CE

MartinLemburg@Siemens-PLM

Jul 24, 2017, 4:52:07 PM7/24/17
Good evening,

I started to try to build tcl and thought to take the easy way.

I installed Visual Studio 2017 Community Edtion (VS2017CE).
I cloned the git mirror of tcl, checkout the master branch.
I opened the VS2017CE developer console, changed to the ./win directory and started "nmake -f makefile.vc".

The build stopped at building tclzlib because of missing "zconf.h". I found "zconf.h.in", but no "zconf.h".

Harald suggested to download the ZIP file of the sources of the latest fossil node and to build this from the VS2017CE dev console, which was successfully.

So - both tries used the makefile.vc, both use the "latest" trunk/master brunch and the git mirror master branch checkout fails, while the fossil trunk download succeeds.

Any idea what I'm missing with the checked out git mirror master branch?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Martin

Gerald Lester

Jul 24, 2017, 4:59:24 PM7/24/17
Why go to the git "mirror" instead of the fossil original?

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

MartinLemburg@Siemens-PLM

Jul 24, 2017, 6:27:31 PM7/24/17
Good night Gerald,

The main reasns:

1. VS2017CE has a simple implementation of the basic git commands needed in the UI, so updating the cloned repository, the remote branches and local branches is very easy
2. No Web-UI at core.tcl.tk, but a real integration into my development environment, into the IDE
3. no third source control in my mind, my memories
4. I never was a console/command prompt guy and hated the times, where I needed to maintain the tcl build on six platforms (SGI, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Win64 (Titanium), Win32)
5. Laziness, desire for some comfort to ease my mind while doing development in my rare spare time and doing development all the work time

But - wouldn't it be much more of interest to get the cause of the build error?

Best regards,

Martin

Gerald Lester

Jul 24, 2017, 7:17:23 PM7/24/17
Yes, but then I would have to have a Windows box instead of the Lunix
and OSX ones I have now.

Harald Oehlmann

Jul 25, 2017, 2:46:51 AM7/25/17
Am 25.07.2017 um 00:27 schrieb MartinLemburg@Siemens-PLM:
> But - wouldn't it be much more of interest to get the cause of the build error?

AFAIK, the git clone was done for automatic build of some Linux
distributions. Obviously, there are things missing.

Sorry,
Harald

MartinLemburg@Siemens-PLM

Jul 26, 2017, 6:07:16 PM7/26/17
Good evening Harald,

I diff'ed the fossil download and the cloned git mirror and the only difference is an exiting zconf.h (fossil) and zconf.h.included (git).

Can someone check the fossil "download generator" and the git mirror mechanism?

Best regards,

Martin