What client for mysql to use?

Georgios Petasis

Oct 8, 2018, 3:33:00 PM10/8/18
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody uses the mysql (or mariadb) databases, and
what client is used.

I have been using tdbc::mysql for some years now, but given its slow
development, I am not sure if it is "popular", or there is a better
alternative.

So, do you use mysql/mariadb, and with what tcl client?
(I am interested more towards mariadb than mysql...)

George

Gerald Lester

Oct 8, 2018, 5:53:28 PM10/8/18
On 10/08/2018 02:32 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anybody uses the mysql (or mariadb) databases, and
> what client is used.
>
> I have been using tdbc::mysql for some years now, but given its slow
> development, I am not sure if it is "popular", or there is a better
> alternative.

What is missing from tdbc::mysql that is needed?

One should only see "development" of missing features, not changes for
the sake of change.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Georgios Petasis

Oct 9, 2018, 9:18:13 AM10/9/18
Στις 9/10/2018 00:53, ο Gerald Lester έγραψε:
> On 10/08/2018 02:32 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody uses the mysql (or mariadb) databases, and
>> what client is used.
>>
>> I have been using tdbc::mysql for some years now, but given its slow
>> development, I am not sure if it is "popular", or there is a better
>> alternative.
>
> What is missing from tdbc::mysql that is needed?
>
> One should only see "development" of missing features, not changes for
> the sake of change.

The short answer is embarrassing: it does not work without tweaking the
sources. Not necessarily tdbc::mysql's fault, but still.

See for example:
http://core.tcl.tk/tdbcmysql/tktview?name=040c635cb3
http://core.tcl.tk/tdbcmysql/tktview?name=e449b3ccb5
http://core.tcl.tk/tdbcmysql/tktview?name=44cc436b4e

Especially, the first is not expected for something shipping with the
core. I am feeling a bit lonely, like I am the only one using
tdbc::mysql :-(

Everybody seems to have moved (or be moving) to MariaDB, which
tdbc::mysql has no support for.

George

---
Αυτό το e-mail ελέγχθηκε για ιούς από το πρόγραμμα Avast antivirus.

Gerald Lester

Oct 9, 2018, 5:39:05 PM10/9/18
I happen to use neither, have you thought about creating a MariaDB TDBC
"driver" and submitting it?

Georgios Petasis

Oct 10, 2018, 3:14:16 AM10/10/18
I knew it that I am the one one using it :D
Do you think that creating a package for changing just 2 static global C
variables justifies the action?
Is tdbc::mysql "abandoned"?

George

sled...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2018, 2:23:22 PM10/10/18
have been using tclodbc with mysql from v5 to v8 (tcl 8.4 to present)...with the corresponding drivers from oracle. Absolutely no issues and response times consistent with my needs. In addition, Oracle provides a very useful "workbench" that provides for the complete management of the database.

Installation via msi is simple, complete and straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Harald Oehlmann

Oct 11, 2018, 11:41:50 AM10/11/18
I am also using MySQL with Rivet and CentOS 6.5.

It works well for me.

Thanks,
Harald

Georgios Petasis

Oct 11, 2018, 4:38:53 PM10/11/18
CentOS 6.5 from 2013?
Isn't this release a bit outdated?

George

Harald Oehlmann

Oct 12, 2018, 9:00:26 AM10/12/18
No, still supported. Good if you want to test compatibility with old
software ;-)

Harald

Georgios Petasis

Oct 15, 2018, 8:15:37 AM10/15/18
Another advantage is that you don't have to worry about tdbc::mysql
being a bit outdated. :D :D

Best,

George