Wize BLT and Tcl 8.6.7

Roger Oberholtzer

Nov 2, 2017, 9:39:20 AM11/2/17
I have been using BLT 2.5 from the Wize project (http://pdqi.com/w/pw/pdqi/Wize/Blt). It has been working on Linux and Windows up to and including Tcl/Tk 8.6.5.

I am now trying to use it with 8.6.7 (Windows 64-bit). It compiles fine. And the BLT package require works. But any call to a BLT command causes the shell to crash.

I am guessing something is different in 8.6.7 compared to 8.6.5. Is anyone else using the Wize BLT with 8.6.7?

I have been tracking the 3.0 series of BLT and many thing have been done. It compiles and I can do lots of things. But I don't think it is ready for use. The Wize BLT has been working fine. So I would be happy to try to continue using it.

Roger Oberholtzer

Nov 7, 2017, 4:49:48 AM11/7/17
After a bit more exploration, I see that the BLT problem is when it is compiled for 64-bit. When everything is so compiled, BLT fails. When I use all the exact same source versions, but compile for 32-bit, BLT works as expected.

Could it be that there is a duplicate data structure in the Wize BLT code that is not declared consistently with the real Tcl/Tk one? I know that the Wize project removed these duplicate structure declarations in BLT. Maybe something was missed?

Is anyone running Wize BLT 2.5 as a 64-bit program?

Roger Oberholtzer

Nov 7, 2017, 4:54:01 AM11/7/17
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 10:49:48 AM UTC+1, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> After a bit more exploration, I see that the BLT problem is when it is compiled for 64-bit. When everything is so compiled, BLT fails. When I use all the exact same source versions, but compile for 32-bit, BLT works as expected.
>
> Could it be that there is a duplicate data structure in the Wize BLT code that is not declared consistently with the real Tcl/Tk one? I know that the Wize project removed these duplicate structure declarations in BLT. Maybe something was missed?
>
> Is anyone running Wize BLT 2.5 as a 64-bit program?

A bit more info: this 64-bit problem seem only to be on Windows. 64-bit BLT works fine on Linux (at least openSUSE).

Ashok

Nov 10, 2017, 5:16:03 AM11/10/17
It so happens I just started experimenting with RBC, which is derived
from the same code base (BLT) and also ran into the same issue on 64-bit
Windows. It requires some fixes including pointer->int truncation that
causes the crash. I am not through with it but at least does not crash
in my test case.

You can look at it at
https://github.com/apnadkarni/rbctoolkit/tree/65b2cb8fc99693c40389ddb148100d3c5b3924b0
and see if those changes work for you if applied to your BLT sources.

/Ashok

Ashok

Nov 10, 2017, 5:19:43 AM11/10/17

Roger Oberholtzer

Nov 30, 2017, 8:03:35 AM11/30/17
Okay. I guess I need to work through this to see where the problem might be. I have a suspicion that it is in the Windows-only code, as it seems to be working okay on 64-bit Linux. Of course, the problem code is probably in both.

I have to decide if it is better to spend time on the old code, or to spend it on the new BLT (3.0) to help move that along.