how to install a tcl package on raspbian

two...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2017, 12:56:50 AM3/10/17
I have the source to Plotchart, in a single directory. It has a pkgIndex.tcl file plus another 6 or so tcl source files.

How do I install this on my raspberry pi raspbian system so a "package require Plotchart" will then work.

I don't really understand how pkgIndex files work, though I tried to mimic what was there as:

set dir plotchart
package ifneeded Plotchart 1.1 [list source [file join $dir plotchart.tcl]]
package require Plotchart

where plotchart is in my current directory.

and this didn't croak, but then after a few lines the program aborted when I tried to use the package. So, I suspect I need to install this somewhere. I tried apt-get install Plotchart but that failed to find anything.

Arjen Markus

Mar 10, 2017, 5:37:11 AM3/10/17
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 6:56:50 AM UTC+1, two...@gmail.com wrote:

> and this didn't croak, but then after a few lines the program aborted when I tried to use the package. So, I suspect I need to install this somewhere. I tried apt-get install Plotchart but that failed to find anything.

I know nothing about raspbian, but what were the messages? Or did the program simply stop? Does it run on other machines/architecures?

Regards,

Arjen

two...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2017, 12:25:37 PM3/10/17
It turns out I had 2 copies of plotchart, one was ancient and that was failing because I tried to use a feature not yet supported. I finally figured out where to place the files, based on the auto_path variable, in /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.6.

Raspbian is a linux "lite" debian system that runs on the raspberry pi. While tcl/tk 8.6 is there, it has very few packages built in.

Arjen Markus

Mar 13, 2017, 3:46:15 AM3/13/17
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 6:25:37 PM UTC+1, two...@gmail.com wrote:

> It turns out I had 2 copies of plotchart, one was ancient and that was failing because I tried to use a feature not yet supported. I finally figured out where to place the files, based on the auto_path variable, in /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.6.
>
> Raspbian is a linux "lite" debian system that runs on the raspberry pi. While tcl/tk 8.6 is there, it has very few packages built in.

Glad you found the problem.

Regards,

Arjen

Gerhard Reithofer

Mar 20, 2017, 6:08:06 AM3/20/17
Hi

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, two...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have the source to Plotchart, in a single directory. It has a pkgIndex.tcl file plus another 6 or so tcl source files.
>
> How do I install this on my raspberry pi raspbian system so a "package require Plotchart" will then work.

Plotchart is included in tklib, therefore no need to grab the "source".
Raspbian is Debian.

$ package require tklib

$ wish
% package require Plotchart
2.1.0

Furthermore the "auto_path" man page gives a starting point regarding
the package require mechanism.

At least in my:
$ grep PRETTY_NAME /etc/os-release|cut -d\" -f2
Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Hope ist helps.

Bye,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Reithofer - Techn. EDV Reithofer - http://www.tech-edv.co.at

two...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2017, 7:07:54 PM3/23/17
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 3:08:06 AM UTC-7, Gerhard Reithofer wrote:
> Plotchart is included in tklib, therefore no need to grab the "source".
> Raspbian is Debian.
>
> $ package require tklib
>
> $ wish
> % package require Plotchart
> 2.1.0

Actually, what worked for me so that I no longer needed to manually install Plotchart myself was this:

apt-get install tklib

and this did also install Plotchart.

Thanks