Citing Tcl/Tk in scientific papers

Luc Moulinier

Jul 21, 2017, 7:02:55 AM7/21/17
Hello everybody,

I'm writting a paper about a software I develop using Tcl/Tk. As it is the first time I need to cite Tcl/Tk, I'm wondering which reference should be used to cite Tcl/Tk ?

Maybe I miss it but I didn't see it on the wiki. It may be good to add that on the wiki front page, like "Citing Tcl/Tk" ?

Thanks for your help !
Luc

stefan

Jul 24, 2017, 5:37:13 AM7/24/17
Hi Luc!

> I'm writting a paper about a software I develop using Tcl/Tk. As it is the first time I need to cite Tcl/Tk, I'm wondering which reference should be used to cite Tcl/Tk ?

I'd say it depends what the primary purpose of the reference is?

Is it about pointing the reader to Tcl/Tk as a language as such?

-> In whatever bibliography style used, make it an "electronical resource": URL http://tcl.tk/ plus last accessed date?

Is it about pointing the reader to some language reference, introduction (because this is required or expected by the reader)?

-> Use Ken's or Ashok's recent reference books:

Tcl and the Tk toolkit (8.5 + Tk)
The Tcl Programming Language: A Comprehensive Guide (8.6 no Tk)

Is it about a particular language feature, which is key to understanding your tool?

--> Then find sth. more specific (a TIP as an electronic resource, or particular fossil commit?). There are different accepted ways to point to individual code repositories, commits or tags/releases as an "electronical resource" (URL plus repo identifiers) or even DOIs, e.g.:

https://guides.github.com/activities/citable-code/

Stefan