mem alloc/release on macOS with TclTk as framework

Nicolas

Oct 4, 2018, 5:27:01 AM10/4/18
my app is doing a looooot of 'canvas itemconfigure -text xxx'
on macOS, I ususally compile tclTk linked against X11, and now I would like to loose X11 dependency.

so I've compiled TclTk as framework and successfully get my app linked against the framework (not easy though....)

with TclTk linked against X11, everything goes fine.
with TclTk as a framework, each eval of itemconfigure -text make the allocated memory growing (I use activitymonitor... maybe the not best tool....) and if I don't touch anything memory is falling down to a regular/normal usage.
I hope I'm clear.

what stop me from publishing my app with TclTk as a framework is I don't understand the memory eating and releasing.

can anyone explain me why it's like that?

best regards,
nicolas

Brad Lanam

Oct 4, 2018, 10:10:08 AM10/4/18
Did you compare the memory usage against the X11 version?

Nicolas

Oct 4, 2018, 10:37:12 AM10/4/18
Hi Brad,
yes, at least with activityMonitor...
with X11 version of TclTk memory is stable