Request for help compiling for different versions of OSX

daneyul

Sep 9, 2019, 5:43:57 PM9/9/19

On a High Sierra Mac, using XCode 9.4.1.
Compiling TCL/TK 8.6.9.1 in stand-alone (embedded mode).

I'm not able to compile a version to work with earlier than OSX 10.13 (High Sierra). Earlier OSX versions refuse to launch it with a "needs OSX 10.13 or higher" message.

I compile things very infrequently, and am probably missing something--but I thought exporting the "mmacosx-version-min" CFLAG would be all it took. Or maybe just exporting the "MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET". But nothing seems to work. I get a perfectly working stand-alone Wish binary -- but only on 10.13 and above.

Here's my commands. Can someone tell me what simple thing I'm missing? Thanks in advance!!

cd /users/test/tcl_tk_sources

ver="8.6.9"

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7

export CFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.7"

make -C tcl${ver}/macosx embedded

make -C tk${ver}/macosx embedded

sudo make -C tcl${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT=`pwd`/embedded/

sudo make -C tk${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT=`pwd`/embedded/

stefan

Sep 11, 2019, 10:10:52 AM9/11/19
> export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7
>
> export CFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.7"

Did you search c.l.t. for relevant postings?

This has been addressed before, see e.g.:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.lang.tcl/%22-mmacosx-version-min%22%7Csort:date/comp.lang.tcl/Waum0ROu4No/wfgXNPUqGwAJ

HTH, Stefan

daneyul

Sep 18, 2019, 3:17:21 PM9/18/19
Thanks--sorry for the very late reply.

I did search but didn't find that specific thread--although I had found several others on the topic which led me to think simply specifying the macosx-version-min would be all that was needed. I was unsure of how to use it so tried several ways to no avail.

Using it as in the example from the link you provided, I still end up with an OSX 10.13 and later only embedded wish app. It makes me wonder if the "embedded" stand-alone build option is hosing things.

Below are my commands. Again, I don't do this often--is there something basic I'm missing here? <Wasn't sure which Makes should get the mmacosx-version-min arg, so used it in all of them>

BTW, I'm using the embedded build instructions from the "new" Mac aqua FAQ (wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/New+Tcl%2FTkAqua+FAQ#6750c6b3086fb0aa6ce057ec7f101d06bd7ca242075c233f54c38591e1f3502d)

## The below resulted in a working Wish.app limited to OSX 11.13 and higher (I built it on 11.13)

ver="8.6.9"

macosxminver=10.9

make -C tcl${ver}/macosx embedded PREFIX="" CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE="-O2 -mmacosx-version-min=${macosxminver}"

make -C tk${ver}/macosx embedded PREFIX="" CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE="-O2 -mmacosx-version-min=${macosxminver}"

sudo make -C tcl${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT=`pwd`/embedded/ PREFIX="" CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE="-O2 -mmacosx-version-min=${macosxminver}"

sudo make -C tk${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT=`pwd`/embedded/ PREFIX="" CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE="-O2 -mmacosx-version-min=${macosxminver}"

Brad Lanam

Sep 19, 2019, 12:15:29 PM9/19/19
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 12:17:21 PM UTC-7, daneyul wrote:
> Thanks--sorry for the very late reply.
>
> I did search but didn't find that specific thread--although I had found several others on the topic which led me to think simply specifying the macosx-version-min would be all that was needed. I was unsure of how to use it so tried several ways to no avail.

To be clear in the use of that flag, I have never used 8.6.9 on Mac OS.
The -mmacosx-version-min flag works with version 8.6.8 (except 8.6.8 Tk now no longer runs on Mojave 10.14.6).
I will be testing pre-8.6.10 today and verifying it runs on older versions of Mac OS X.

Brad Lanam

Sep 19, 2019, 4:47:47 PM9/19/19
So far, core-8-6-branch (8.6.10) works on Sierra 10.12.6, High Sierra 10.13.6
and Mojave compiled on Mojave with --mmacosx-version-min=10.9.

daneyul

Sep 20, 2019, 4:49:35 PM9/20/19
Thanks for confirming. Knowing it seems to work for you, I just started from scratch on a different system, and using my previous commands I did get a build that works on 10.11 (the only older system I can test right now). Strange, but it does look like -something- in my setup was causing the issue. Thanks for the feedback on your tests and the confirmation!