sdx scirpt size limit?

ze

Oct 19, 2017, 1:35:55 PM10/19/17
Hello,

I am using ActiveState's tools to wrap a tcl script file. I believe the process is quite similar to how sdx works. I am seeing quite a lag when I run the generated starpack and I wonder if the starpack wrapping process has a size limitation.

I have my scripts in a single file which is about 20 megabytes in size. I wrap it up, and everything is fine. When I run the executable starpack, it takes about 30 seconds to start. (In other words, it takes 30 seconds from my double click on the icon in Windows to when I see the process icon on my Windows taskbar.) I also print and display a message as the first line of my scripts to measure when it gets to process my stuff. It is plain Tcl/Tk and it has no other dependencies.

After some trial and error, I came up with a test. Now, when packing my script file, I leave it outside of the starpack. Instead, I wrap a file with a single line that simply source's my main file which now resides outside the starpack. The start up time is almost instant.

The only difference is that the large script file is in starpack (which results in 30 second lag) and it is outside the starpack (which starts up instantly).

Is it safe to assume that the size of the script files being wrapped plays a role in how quickly the wrapped application starts up?

Any suggestions to speed this up?