Rivet 3.0 released

Harald Oehlmann

Jan 17, 2018, 4:09:10 PM1/17/18
Rivet 3.0.0 has been released today.

Rivet 3.0 includes any improvements and fixes hitherto made for the 2.3
series of Rivet.

Nonetheless Rivet 3.0 ships with a major rewriting of mod_rivet, whose
code has been redesigned into a modular architecture with the purpose to
preserve the basic features of the 2.x series of modules but also to
provide support for both non threaded Apache MPMs (Multi Process
Module), such as mod_mpm_prefork, and threaded MPMs such as
mod_mpm_worker, mod_mpm_event and mod_mpm_winnt. As a consequence
mod_rivet now also can run with the Apache Web Server on the MS-Windows
family of operative systems.

Threaded MPM integration was achieved by making mod_rivet multi-threaded
and modular itself, introducing the MPM-module bridge concept. We
developed a set of loadable modules which are supposed not only to
overcome the issues related to threading but also the best possible MPM
mod_rivet integration. As a side effect of this modular design mod_rivet
is not only able to integrate with its environment but also to work as a
framework for writing more MPM bridges designed along different
multi-threading schemes and workload management models.

mod_rivet is built using the traditional autotools based toolchain but
with version 3.0 we also are supporting a CMake based script that can be
used on any OS where CMake is available. The CMake tool is necessary in
order to build mod_rivet on MS-Windows

-- Massimo Manghi

http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/index.html

jsunth...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 4:24:36 PM1/17/18
Congratulations!

Ali M

Jan 17, 2018, 4:32:09 PM1/17/18
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:09:10 PM UTC-5, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
Great work :)

Robert

Jan 18, 2018, 12:27:05 AM1/18/18
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:09:10 PM UTC-5, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
Awesome!

--
Bob

stefan

Jan 18, 2018, 10:26:13 AM1/18/18
> Threaded MPM integration

What does this mean for HTTP/2 and mod_http2 integration (as in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/1JkOrqtwI1U).

Does this work then? Can a Rivet application used advanced HTTP/2 features?

Thanks for pointing this out.
Stefan

ton...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 10:12:04 PM1/18/18
Are you planning to launch Windows binaries?

Georgios Petasis

Jan 19, 2018, 5:29:44 AM1/19/18
Στις 19/1/2018 05:11, ο ton...@gmail.com έγραψε:
> Are you planning to launch Windows binaries?

Windows binaries are easy to build. The problem is that they embed the
path to the rivet library. For example, I have Apache at
G:/Apache24_64/, and the library is searched at
G:/Apache24_64/bin/rivet3.0.0. And this is specified at compilation time.

Perhaps a configuration directive to specify the library location is needed.

George

ton...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2018, 10:02:54 AM1/23/18
> Windows binaries are easy to build. The problem is that they embed the
> path to the rivet library.
> Perhaps a configuration directive to specify the library location is needed.

It could be a great idea, a configuration directive and a rivet windows binary.