how to develop a tcl & Qt mixed application?

陈奕

Oct 30, 2017, 11:43:09 PM10/30/17
Hi everyone,
I'm working on a small EDA project which using tcl and Qt framework. And we know a lot of EDA software from synopsys/cadence/mentor all use the tcl & GUI (Qt or TK?). User types customized tcl commands and then the application executes commands and invokes GUI window and everything.

After I learned tcl and qt mainloop working mechanism , I found there is one way to mix Qt and tcl, and there is solution already from a talent:
http://jefftrull.github.io/eda/qt/tcl/eventloop/2012/05/25/integrating-qt-tcl-event-loops.html.

Yes, that solves the Qt and tcl mix. And we know synopsys/cadence/mentor's eda software supports automatic completion function or something else. That is when user type "t", The custom completion script will return a list of completions which is begin with "t". And I continue to study, and find a tool named "tclreadline", Yes that supports the automatic completion function, But I found that only works in tcl mainloop. The solution from jefftrull is Qt mainloop with timer invokes tcl commands. So tclreadline is not working on this solution.

Looks synopsys/cadence/mentor's solution is not 2 processes: tcl process and Qt process invoked each other. And also looks their application is like a linux terminal, supporting linux shell and tcl commands and customized tcl command and also GUI window. And we know the GUI window needs mainloop to refresh the window & receive interaction. So how does their tcl supports interaction without tcl own mainloop? I have no idea about their working mechanism. I'm confused, how synopsys/cadence/mentor make it? (using tcl commands with auto-completion, while start GUI program.)

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand. Can anyone help me. Any idea is welcome. Thank you!

Gerald Lester

Oct 31, 2017, 12:29:37 AM10/31/17
I'd suggest asking your mentor support channels.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

陈奕

Oct 31, 2017, 4:37:56 AM10/31/17
Thank you for your reply.
As you mentioned I think that those knowledge maybe technical confidential or not?
This is likely not belong to customer service.It's about how to develop...

Gerald Lester

Oct 31, 2017, 9:15:45 AM10/31/17
Yes, but it is particular to how Mentor developed something.

walto...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 6:35:28 PM11/8/17
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 10:43:09 PM UTC-5, 陈奕 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> tcl and Qt framework

Not an easy project, but check out Smoke.
https://techbase.kde.org/Languages/Smoke

liyo...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2018, 1:30:10 PM9/17/18
在 2017年10月31日星期二 UTC+8上午11:43:09,陈奕写道: