2018 IEEE top programming languages

Brad Lanam

Aug 2, 2018, 11:54:42 AM8/2/18
https://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interactive-the-top-programming-languages-2018

Tcl made #42.
#36 on the growth chart.
#37 on the jobs chart.
#40 on the open source chart.

They have some strange mistakes...Arduino is now a language.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt.
Looks like they only used 12 sources (and did not include sourceforge.net
(so my projects are not there)). Who uses twitter for programming?
Who uses twitter at all?

Select "Edit Ranking" to see their weightings for each of their searches.

Also realize that with Python/Tkinter and R/TclTk and maybe Ruby/Tk, Tcl/Tk's importance is higher than what is listed.

Robert Heller

Aug 2, 2018, 1:00:18 PM8/2/18
At Thu, 2 Aug 2018 08:54:39 -0700 (PDT) Brad Lanam <brad....@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interactive-the-top-programming-languages-2018
>
> Tcl made #42.
> #36 on the growth chart.
> #37 on the jobs chart.
> #40 on the open source chart.
>
> They have some strange mistakes...Arduino is now a language.

The Arduino IDE is just C/C++ for the AVR platform. From a strict *language*
POV, it should be lumped in with C/C++.

> Of course, take it with a grain of salt.
> Looks like they only used 12 sources (and did not include sourceforge.net
> (so my projects are not there)). Who uses twitter for programming?
> Who uses twitter at all?

El Presidenta?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Brad Lanam

Aug 2, 2018, 1:37:17 PM8/2/18
Tcl is #20 in the language list on sourceforge.net (i.e. the project has been marked as using Tcl).

Robert Heller

Aug 2, 2018, 3:31:47 PM8/2/18
Wondering: does GitHub maintain a ranking?

Brad Lanam

Aug 2, 2018, 4:18:01 PM8/2/18
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 12:31:47 PM UTC-7, Robert Heller wrote:
> Wondering: does GitHub maintain a ranking?

They must, I think the IEEE used it. It may only
be available via their API though. I didn't see
an obvious statistics page or a browse function
that showed counts.

stefan

Aug 3, 2018, 6:41:17 AM8/3/18
> It may only be available via their API though.

via BigQuery, Tcl is reported on rank #63 (projects with tcl)

SELECT language.name, COUNT(language.name) AS count
FROM [bigquery-public-data:github_repos.languages]
group by language.name order by count DESC LIMIT 1000

//s

sled...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 6:36:35 PM8/3/18
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:54:42 AM UTC-7, Brad Lanam wrote:
Wow, I migrated from MUMPS to tcl...maybe should head back...MUMPS is #1, right...