TUI libraries for Tcl

Robert

Apr 21, 2018, 11:58:51 AM4/21/18
What is the recommended TUI (text user interface) library to use with Tcl?

--
Bob

undro...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2018, 9:04:51 PM4/21/18
Assuming that this is your expectation

"A Character-based User Interface is a user interface that features full-screen cursor manipulations to emulate forms, etc. The abbreviation TUI (text-based user interface) is sometimes used to describe the same thing."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tcl+cui

Ricardo kozmate.net

Apr 22, 2018, 10:03:52 AM4/22/18
Em 21/04/18 16:58, Robert escreveu:
> What is the recommended TUI (text user interface) library to use with Tcl?
>
> --
> Bob

I don't know. If you did not yet, then take a look at the tcl wiki page
about CUI (Character-based User Interface): <http://wiki.tcl.tk/CUI>

--
{ricardo from kozmate.net}

ian Gay

Apr 22, 2018, 12:28:50 PM4/22/18
Why? There's nothing there that answers the OP's question.

Ian

*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

Fred Blogd

Apr 22, 2018, 4:40:59 PM4/22/18
Nothing on curses? Nurses?

Luis Alejandro Muzzachiodi

Apr 22, 2018, 5:09:01 PM4/22/18
I remember search for something like that years ago and the best library for me was PDCurses because i was doing something on Windows.
However, in that moment at least, i can´t found any tcl implementation.
For Linux there was other alternatives like newt for example,but i don't know if exists some tcl implementation.

ian Gay

Apr 22, 2018, 7:43:27 PM4/22/18

--
OK, I was a bit hasty; if you take the 'curses' link on that page, you
can find some partial tcl bindings to curses.

But what I thought the op wanted was a nice convenient package to
create a CUI, as Tk does for a GUI. I don't know of any such
package - do you?

Ian

*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

joheid

Apr 23, 2018, 3:22:53 AM4/23/18
The wiki has a few pages on this question:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/2372 - regarding curses
http://wiki.tcl.tk/5016 regarding ctk in special. There is also a link to an updated version from roy keene: http://rkeene.org/devel/ctk/
But I have also the impression that this is not a very actively followed development route.
--
Joachim

Robert

Apr 23, 2018, 10:31:14 AM4/23/18
Right, that was I was looking for. Sorry if I needed to be more specific. I will take a look at all the suggestions that were posted. I did look at the wiki, I do that before posting here. It all looked rather dated and nothing stood out as "recommended" and you never know if someone is creating something, so I posted the question here.

--
Bob

Mike Griffiths

Apr 23, 2018, 6:40:35 PM4/23/18
It may just be that the README hasn't been updated, but it says that Roy Keene's is still aimed at Tcl 7.4, so I'm not sure how up to date it actually is. (The last time I looked for a Tcl curses implementation, or something else for doing similar things, was 4 or 5 years ago, and everything I could find was insanely out of date.)