Help: "?expression?"

adilseb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 3:10:10 PM10/28/17
Hy
Please what is the meaning of question marks in this exemple: "?options?", which I found in Tk documentation?
Thanks

Christian Gollwitzer

Oct 28, 2017, 3:38:35 PM10/28/17
Am 28.10.17 um 21:10 schrieb adilseb...@gmail.com:
> Please what is the meaning of question marks in this exemple: "?options?", which I found in Tk documentation?

It means that this argument is optional. For example:

puts ?-nonewline? string

means you can call it as

puts "Hello"

or

puts -nonewline "Hello"

If you see questions marks and an ellipse ?x y? ... it means that x and
y can be repeated arbitrarily often (e.g. "canvas coords" )

Christian

adilseb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 4:22:32 PM10/28/17
Thank you of your help, now thing is clear😊, but what do you mean by "ellipse" in your exemple?😅

adilseb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 4:25:35 PM10/28/17
If possible can you give somme links that point to your explanation?

Robert Heller

Oct 28, 2017, 4:28:13 PM10/28/17
It means the item is optional.

text pathName ?options?

means:

text .w
OR
text .w -height 40
OR
text .w -height 40 -width 24 -foreground pink -relief raised

Are all legal statements.
--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

adilseb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 4:35:16 PM10/28/17
Thank you I am very grateful for your help because I use Tk toolkit with python(Tkinter) but I need sometime to read tcl/tk which is new for me

adilseb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 4:39:00 PM10/28/17
You mean by "ellipse" the 3 points, know I understand😅
Message has been deleted

Ricardo kozmate.net

Oct 29, 2017, 6:51:42 AM10/29/17
Em 28/10/17 21:22, adilseb...@gmail.com escreveu:
> what do you mean by "ellipse"

He should have said "ellipsis" (three dots: "..." or "…"), not "ellipse"
(a geometric figure). Tricky :-)

By the way, in some other post I think you confused "know" with "now".
Also tricky.

--
{ricardo from kozmate.net}

Ricardo kozmate.net

Oct 29, 2017, 6:59:28 AM10/29/17
Em 28/10/17 21:25, adilseb...@gmail.com escreveu:
> If possible can you give somme links that point to your explanation?

Documentation for the documentation. Interestingly, seems like there is
none. I couldn't find, in a quick search. Maybe it is at some hidden corner?

The best related suggestion I can come up with is for you to read the
"Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial" as it explains the functionality using and
explaining the documentation. So you will get to understand the
documentation language without even noticing you were learning it. And
it is a very nice entry level explanation of TCL. It was my first real
read about it. It misses some features from later versions - most
notoriously the {*} I guess - but you'll catch up with that easy enough
later on.
Linked at <http://www.tcl.tk/man/>.
Direct link <http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html>

--