Ann: ntext 1.0b1

Keith Nash

Mar 31, 2017, 1:47:05 PM3/31/17
The purpose of the ntext package is to make the text widget behave more like
other text-editing applications. It makes the text widget more useful for
implementing a text editor, and makes it behave in a way that will be more
familiar to most users.

Ntext is a module of tklib.

Version 1.0b1 was committed to tklib at 2017-03-31 17:13 UTC [10d06551a6].
It is not yet available in the packaged version of tklib.

New features of v1.0b1 -
* It is intended to be compatible with all Tk versions 8.5 and above, on all
platforms.
* It gives the text widget Mac-like behaviour on the Mac.
* It does not call private commands from Tk file library/text.tcl, and so it
should not break when this file is revised.
* It has numerous bugfixes and improvements.

Ntext has not yet been adapted to incorporate changes to the Text bindings
made as part of the "revised_text" widget by Gregor Cramer and François
Vogel. However, "revised_text" has good backward compatibility with the
text widget, and my limited tests have not yet found incompatibilities
between "ntext" and "revised_text".

Please file bug reports in category "ntext" of the Tklib Trackers, at -
http://core.tcl.tk/tklib/reportlist
- or ask questions here on c.l.t.

Keith Nash.

Matthew Hiles

Apr 1, 2017, 9:29:08 AM4/1/17
So it changes default bindings and some settings? Is there a list of 'features'? I keep thinking about making my own, easily-scriptable editor. Might make for a good start.

Keith Nash

Apr 1, 2017, 11:14:35 AM4/1/17
Matthew Hiles wrote:

> So it changes default bindings and some settings? Is there a list of
> 'features'? I keep thinking about making my own, easily-scriptable editor.
> Might make for a good start.

The documentation begins here:

http://core.tcl.tk/tklib/doc/trunk/embedded/www/tklib/files/modules/ntext/ntext.html

I suggest running the example scripts supplied with Tklib in
examples/ntext/*.tcl - these give a good idea of the module's capabilities.

Keith Nash.