Defacto Webserver?

Simon Millward

Mar 31, 2017, 1:37:45 PM3/31/17
Quick question I hope.

What is currently considered to be the 'main'/'production'/'current' Tcl web server ( i.e. TCL implementation )?

From digging around its a bit hard to tell what's up to date, or meaningfully supported.

I'm aware of most of them, just not sure of the status.

I *think* this is right?

Naviserver - still going but limited support?
AOLServer - same comment as Navi.. but effectively dead?
Rivet - Still going but little activity?
Wub - Dead?
Tclhttpd - Not updated in years?
Tanzer.io - looks cool, but is this a toy project?

The Others - not really production level?

So it looks like there's no real 'canonical' server out there any more?

Any guidance very gratefully received.

Simon

Rich

Mar 31, 2017, 3:25:02 PM3/31/17
Simon Millward <simon.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is currently considered to be the 'main'/'production'/'current'
> Tcl web server ( i.e. TCL implementation )?
> Rivet - Still going but little activity?

For what it is worth, Rivet is not a web server. It is a Tcl framework
for building web pages/sites/applications. It relies on another
webserver to handle the "web-serving" part. It builds an Apache module
which is likely its most common use method but I think it can be run in
pure cgi mode if you really wanted to do so.

Georgios Petasis

Apr 1, 2017, 2:32:30 PM4/1/17
In the past I have been used Wub, but I have switched to Apache2 + Rivet
(mainly because there are really many features available in apache).
I have used this combination for quite a few research prototypes (i.e.
http://platform.yourdatastories.eu/official-development-assistance), and
also in commercial applications.

George

Hypnotoad

Apr 2, 2017, 7:58:39 PM4/2/17
I use Tclhttpd to this day. I'm working (in my non-existent spare time) on version 4.0, which leverages TclOO and Coroutines. The core modules are part of Tcllib, I'm working on rebuilding the rest of the distribution and examples. I'd also like to get a backward compatibility layer for older 3.5.x sites (the lack of which is why I'm still rolling with 3.5.x for my main site http://www.etoyoc.com)

stefan

Apr 3, 2017, 8:35:50 AM4/3/17
Hi Simon,

> Naviserver - still going but limited support?

NaviServer is most likely the best mix in terms of scalability/ support you will find. The web-app framework OpenACS (http://openacs.org/) is also continuously improved to work on top of NaviServer. If by "limited support" you refer to low activity in community venues (naviserver-devel, openacs.org forums) or small visible communities, this is a questionable criterion in the Tcl verse anyways ;)

For specific questions on NS or OpenACS, you should reach out to their channels.

Stefan

simon.m...@just-eat.com

Apr 3, 2017, 11:47:07 AM4/3/17

Thanks.. yes I'm intimately familiar with OpenACS ( its been a while though ).

I wasn't sure with AOLServer kinda dead with NaviServer was still that active.. but.. sounds like it is which is great news

--

This is an e-mail from the company JUST EAT plc. This e-mail may contain