8.5.11.1 installation question

Dave

Mar 5, 2012, 4:10:20 PM3/5/12
Just tried installing 8.5.11.1 -- after uninstalling 8.5.11.0 -- both
64-bit on Win7

The installer says that the "seed repository" is in conflict with an
existing repository.

Just wt* is a "seed repository"? Where did it come from? How is it "in
conflict" with the new one? And just where is the old one located?

I'm installing into the exact folder which used to contain 8.5.11.0:
C:/Program Files/Tcl/

I do not recall ever getting this message in the past with prior
ActiveState installers.

Thank you.

Andreas Kupries

Mar 8, 2012, 1:29:34 AM3/8/12
Dave <u...@daveATbodenstab.org> writes:

> Just tried installing 8.5.11.1 -- after uninstalling 8.5.11.0 -- both
> 64-bit on Win7
>
> The installer says that the "seed repository" is in conflict with an
> existing repository.

Actually it should ask you what you want to be done.
Keep your existing repo,
replace with the installer repo,
merge both.

> Just wt* is a "seed repository"? Where did it come from? How is it "in
> conflict" with the new one? And just where is the old one located?
>
> I'm installing into the exact folder which used to contain 8.5.11.0:
> C:/Program Files/Tcl/
>
> I do not recall ever getting this message in the past with prior
> ActiveState installers.

With ActiveTcl 8.5 the distribution comes with a pre-made TEApot
repository with a number of packages.

After installation this repository is under <installdir>/lib/teapot.
This directory cannot be recorded in the installation log, and stays
after uninstallation.

When installing the new AT the installer sees this repository and asks
for your decision about what to do with it. See above.

Note that AT 8.5 is what we call a lean distribution. Instead of being
fat like AT 8.4 with all packages this contains only the
most-important packages. Anything else needed can be installed after
via
teacup install <package-name>

Or, if you prefer to have everything plus the kitchen-sink (*)

teacup update

This command is also useful to check for updates to packages
(excluding Tcl and Tk thenselves) done between releases of AT, and/or
new packages (*).

Note that teacup comes with online help (teacup help), and/or also
read
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/tpm/toc.html

(*) The kitchen sink are the packages we are not distributing in AT at
all and which must be installed via teacup.

--
So long,
Andreas Kupries <akup...@shaw.ca>

Dave

Mar 8, 2012, 11:41:00 AM3/8/12
On 3/8/2012 12:29 AM, Andreas Kupries wrote:
> Dave<u...@daveATbodenstab.org> writes:
>
>> Just tried installing 8.5.11.1 -- after uninstalling 8.5.11.0 -- both
>> 64-bit on Win7
>>
>> The installer says that the "seed repository" is in conflict with an
>> existing repository.
>
> Actually it should ask you what you want to be done.
> Keep your existing repo,
> replace with the installer repo,
> merge both.

Thank you very much for your reply.

It >did< offer me those options but, since I had no idea what a "seed
repository" was, I could not make an intelligent decision as to which
option to choose. I finally guessed and said "merge" (which must have
worked since 8.5.11.1 is installed).

Perhaps the wording in the installer could be changed to, at least,
point to the link you mentioned
(http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/tpm/toc.html) -- or at the
very least mention that "seed repository" refers to "teacup"
information. That would have given me a hint as to what the installer
was referring to.

ant...@miamiwarehouselogistics.com

Jan 20, 2018, 2:45:46 PM1/20/18
Hey guys would appreciate your help... having the same issue except I’m installing a “bug fix” for my current installed version released by Active Tcl but my message says “This distribution comes with a seed repository. Howevever, the destination already has a repository as well. Do you wish to keep the existing repository? YES or NO...

There is no “merge” option so I don’t know the effects of either choice???