cloudTK

Nicolas

Jan 25, 2018, 1:10:06 AM1/25/18
on the wiki I saw a page about cloudTK (http://wiki.tcl.tk/41972) which looks very impressive....

my app is running on Mac, Pc and Linux and I need a remote that works on smartphone.
does cloudTK means I can write a tcl script that would run on a web page on the smartphone and communicate with my app?

best regards,
Nicolas

Gerald Lester

Jan 25, 2018, 3:25:41 PM1/25/18
Nicolas,

Not exactly. The Tcl/Tk script runs on an application server and
displays, via VNC on a browser.

Note -- with AndroWish you can run your Tcl/Tk application directly on
an Android phone/tablet.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

HeadsU...@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2018, 11:41:53 PM1/25/18
If you want to run Tcl directly on an Android Smartphone/Tablet then, as Gerald mentions, AndroWish is your answer.

If the Application Server model is acceptable (i.e. displaying/controlling your application remotely) then CloudTk MAY meet your needs on Andriod/AppleIOS smartphone/tablets.

noVNC (vnc viewer) will detect it is running on a Touch device when the web page is loaded. Select the tab in the window and you have the option of setting the mouse and keyboard which allows you to control your app. This feels a bit "clunky" but it may meet your needs. I don't think noVNC supports touch gestures like "pinch to zoom" yet but the developers are working on it.

Another thing you will have to consider is working with a small display. In the demonstrations you'll see some Tk applications display well on a Smartphone screen whereas others do not. I found if you run them in an iframe in a web page it displays better but if you then select full screen from the tab, the display is wrong again. (I know nothing about Tk so I can not offer any advice.)

Kind Regards

Jeff Smith

Cecil Westerhof

Jan 26, 2018, 3:28:06 AM1/26/18
HeadsU...@yahoo.com writes:

> On Friday, 26 January 2018 07:25:41 UTC+11, Gerald Lester wrote:
> If you want to run Tcl directly on an Android Smartphone/Tablet
> then, as Gerald mentions, AndroWish is your answer.

I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Rich

Jan 26, 2018, 7:06:18 AM1/26/18
Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
> HeadsU...@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> On Friday, 26 January 2018 07:25:41 UTC+11, Gerald Lester wrote:
>> If you want to run Tcl directly on an Android Smartphone/Tablet
>> then, as Gerald mentions, AndroWish is your answer.
>
> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?

Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".

In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.

It can't do /everything/ a native app can do, but for the parts it has,
it is a viable option (unless you /really/ need one of the Android
API's that is not yet supported).

Take a look at the docs on its homepage for an idea of what Android
API's it does offer on top of Tcl and Tk widgets.

Cecil Westerhof

Jan 26, 2018, 9:14:06 AM1/26/18
Rich <ri...@example.invalid> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
>> HeadsU...@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>>> On Friday, 26 January 2018 07:25:41 UTC+11, Gerald Lester wrote:
>>> If you want to run Tcl directly on an Android Smartphone/Tablet
>>> then, as Gerald mentions, AndroWish is your answer.
>>
>> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
>> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
>> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?
>>

> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>
> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.

Can the user install only my application, or do they need also to
install a tcl run-time?

Gerald Lester

Jan 26, 2018, 10:12:56 AM1/26/18
On 01/26/2018 08:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Rich <ri...@example.invalid> writes:
>
>> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:

>>> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
>>> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
>>> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?
>>>

>> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
>> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>>
>> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.
>
> Can the user install only my application, or do they need also to
> install a tcl run-time?

You can have the user just install your application or you can have them
install a run time that is shared by several applications.

BTW, the same is true on Windows, OSX and *nix -- see starkits/tclkits
vs starpacks.

Gerald Lester

Jan 26, 2018, 10:13:55 AM1/26/18
On 01/26/2018 06:06 AM, Rich wrote:
> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
>> HeadsU...@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>>> On Friday, 26 January 2018 07:25:41 UTC+11, Gerald Lester wrote:
>>> If you want to run Tcl directly on an Android Smartphone/Tablet
>>> then, as Gerald mentions, AndroWish is your answer.
>>
>> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
>> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
>> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?
>>

> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>
> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.
>
> It can't do /everything/ a native app can do, but for the parts it has,
> it is a viable option (unless you /really/ need one of the Android
> API's that is not yet supported).

Unless of course he writes the code to extend to that API.

Cecil Westerhof

Jan 26, 2018, 11:14:06 AM1/26/18
Gerald Lester <Gerald...@KnG-Consulting.net> writes:

> On 01/26/2018 08:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> Rich <ri...@example.invalid> writes:

>>> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
>>> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>>>
>>> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.
>>
>> Can the user install only my application, or do they need also to
>> install a tcl run-time?
>
> You can have the user just install your application or you can have them
> install a run time that is shared by several applications.

From a resource point the last is of-course the best. But in general I
think that applications will be easier accepted by users they only
have to install my application.

> BTW, the same is true on Windows, OSX and *nix -- see starkits/tclkits
> vs starpacks.

I will do that.

Rich

Jan 26, 2018, 11:14:24 AM1/26/18
Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
> Rich <ri...@example.invalid> writes:
>
>> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:

>>> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
>>> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
>>> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?
>>>

>> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
>> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>>
>> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.
>
> Can the user install only my application, or do they need also to
> install a tcl run-time?

It works very much like TclKit. Your Tcl code plus your desired
extensions (it ships with a ton of them) plus the Tcl interpreter gets
wrapped up into an APK that contains everything needed to run the code.

This, of course, makes the APK's much larger than if Android supplied a
built in Tcl/Tk runtime that could be used. But since Android does
not, it is what we have.

It does support an ability to create home screen icons that 'link' to a
script in the APK, so it is possible to install plural 'apps' via one
single runtime this way, which is fine for personal use but not so
great if you plan to "ship to others".

Rich

Jan 26, 2018, 11:15:42 AM1/26/18
Gerald Lester <Gerald...@kng-consulting.net> wrote:
> On 01/26/2018 06:06 AM, Rich wrote:
>> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:

>>> I saw AndroidWish mentioned several times. I just started with tcl, so
>>> it is not something I want to pick up now, but would be interesting in
>>> the (near) future. It is a real option to write Android applications?
>>>

>> Presumably, as you ended the last sentence with a question mark, you
>> meant to ask "Is it a real option ...".
>>
>> In which case, yes, it is a real option to write Android applications.
>>
>> It can't do /everything/ a native app can do, but for the parts it has,
>> it is a viable option (unless you /really/ need one of the Android
>> API's that is not yet supported).
>
> Unless of course he writes the code to extend to that API.

True, contribuing back interfaces to those missing API's would likely
be welcomed by the AndroWish author.

Cecil Westerhof

Jan 26, 2018, 12:14:06 PM1/26/18
Do not hold you breath: I am learning tcl at the moment. But for sure,
if I would manage to implement API's, I would share them.

hemaa...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 1:49:02 AM2/16/18
hi,

Will CloudTk supports apache tomcat web server.