Tcl 9 and scan

Donald Arseneau

Nov 26, 2017, 4:00:07 AM11/26/17
In the vein of grouping incompatible changes into Tcl 9, I was
wondering...

There have been three numerical representations for numbers
added to Tcl through the Tcl 8 lifetime, and, I think, the
old octal representation will disappear in Tcl 9. However,
the %i value type used by scan still works just like it did
in Tcl 7, taking decimal, octal (011), and hex (0xabc), but
none of 0d, 0b, or 0o prefixed values. Would it be good to
update scan so %i takes (integer) numbers in the same formats
that the rest of Tcl does?

--
Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Andreas Leitgeb

Nov 26, 2017, 6:13:48 AM11/26/17
If I understand correctly, scan %i will keep accepting 052
for people who need to accept it from external sources.
I likely wouldn't hurt, though, to also accept 0b, 0o and
0d prefixes..., maybe limited to "#" alternate mode...

Gerald Lester

Nov 26, 2017, 4:06:14 PM11/26/17
Maybe we should have a %I that works as Donald Arseneau proposes?

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |