kitcreator: build wish on mac os x?

Brad Lanam

Oct 14, 2017, 11:45:59 AM10/14/17
Is it possible to get kitcreator to build a wish executable on Mac OS X (as opposed to a tclsh?). I need to have the mac os x init code that runs 'AppMain.tcl'.

Kevin Walzer

Oct 14, 2017, 2:29:41 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/17 11:45 AM, Brad Lanam wrote:
> Is it possible to get kitcreator to build a wish executable on Mac OS X (as opposed to a tclsh?). I need to have the mac os x init code that runs 'AppMain.tcl'.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/12987 provides information on how to build a
standalone version of Wish.app (look for "embedded"), and
https://www.codebykevin.com/tutorial.html provides information on
organizing and deploying the app bundle.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin

Brad Lanam

Oct 14, 2017, 3:15:25 PM10/14/17
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 11:29:41 AM UTC-7, kw wrote:
> On 10/14/17 11:45 AM, Brad Lanam wrote:
> > Is it possible to get kitcreator to build a wish executable on Mac OS X (as opposed to a tclsh?). I need to have the mac os x init code that runs 'AppMain.tcl'.
> >

> http://wiki.tcl.tk/12987 provides information on how to build a
> standalone version of Wish.app (look for "embedded"), and
> https://www.codebykevin.com/tutorial.html provides information on
> organizing and deploying the app bundle.

Did not know about install-embedded. I'm not sure that will work out for me (e.g. it is missing tclConfig.sh, so I cannot add tDOM to the directory).

My app bundle used to work. I'm a command line person, and I never test by
clicking on the icon. I'll have to write another test for that. Sigh.

Kevin Walzer

Oct 15, 2017, 6:42:31 PM10/15/17
Add a "lib" subdirectory to the app bundle (see the tutorial); it's part
of auto_path on OS X. Put tDom there. That's how I organize all my app
bundles. See https://www.codebykevin.com/updates/TextSweep.dmg, you're
welcome to peek inside and take a look at the structure.

Brad Lanam

Oct 16, 2017, 2:10:02 PM10/16/17
I have a working solution right now using the standard build.
I will definitely research your solution also.

Hypnotoad

Oct 25, 2017, 11:24:06 AM10/25/17
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 11:45:59 AM UTC-4, Brad Lanam wrote:
> Is it possible to get kitcreator to build a wish executable on Mac OS X (as opposed to a tclsh?). I need to have the mac os x init code that runs 'AppMain.tcl'.

I have a system similar to kitcreator, but which uses a Tcl based build mechanic called "toadkits".

http://fossil.etoyoc.com/fossil/odie

Rather than produce a standard OSX bundle, it creates an executable and then wraps the workings of your program into a zipfs file system appended to the binary. Overkill on the mac, but it's needed on the Linux and Windows platforms.

Brad Lanam

Oct 25, 2017, 1:01:29 PM10/25/17
I have actually decided to move away from the one-big-executable concept.
I had never packaged my application within the tclkit (don't want that),
and now I am abandoning the tclkit entirely.
It's one less dependency for me to worry about.

I have now repackaged my application with bundled tcl/ folders, and the
executables (linux 32/64, mac os x, windows 32/64) are built so that
they can be run from any installation location.

I require 'wish' on mac os x, both 'wish' and 'tclsh' on windows,
and want 'tclsh' on all platforms.