HTTP/2 Implementations for Tcl?

Gerald Lester

Jan 13, 2018, 2:47:21 PM1/13/18
Does anyone know of a:
1) Client Side HTTP/2 implementation in/for Tcl?
2) An embeddable HTTP/2 Server implementation in/for Tcl?

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Danilo Chang

Jan 14, 2018, 3:03:48 AM1/14/18
Gerald Lester於 2018年1月14日星期日 UTC+8上午3時47分21秒寫道:
1) Client

TclCurl

(Check https://wiki.tcl.tk/2638, or https://bitbucket.org/smh377/tclcurl)

CURL got HTTP/2 support after 7.43.0, so it is necessary CURL version >= 7.43.0

2) Server

I don'w know related info about this item.

stefan

Jan 14, 2018, 3:33:37 PM1/14/18
> 2) An embeddable HTTP/2 Server implementation in/for Tcl?

There is no such thing at the moment. Depending on your requirements and setup, shielding your (existing) HTTP/1.* Tcl webserver by a HTTP/2 frontend/reverse proxy (e.g., NGINX) might be an option for now?

Stefan

jsunth...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2018, 4:37:47 AM1/15/18
When this comes up, this and so many things, the approach I've been forced to take is just reverse-proxy away the problem (which isn't the fun tcl stack ideal) and use simple scgi to Tclland. Support for http/2, protocols buffers, and grpc would be fantastic though, wouldn't it? Naviserver, lookin' at you kinda cross-eyed right now :)

Georgios Petasis

Jan 15, 2018, 11:54:37 AM1/15/18
Στις 13/1/2018 21:47, ο Gerald Lester έγραψε:
> Does anyone know of a:
>   1) Client Side HTTP/2 implementation in/for Tcl?
>   2) An embeddable HTTP/2 Server implementation in/for Tcl?

Dear Gerald,

I know you are searching for an embeddable server, and I don't have one
to propose.
But I want to point out that for the last 5 years I have been using
apache rivet, and I am happy with it.
Why not use Apache Httpd (which is one of the most widespread servers
out there)?
I have recently provided a CMAke build system, and we have tested with
Massimo even under windows 10...

Best regards and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year,
George

stefan

Jan 15, 2018, 4:51:04 PM1/15/18
> Why not use Apache Httpd (which is one of the most widespread servers
> out there)?

I might be wrong here, but last time I checked, Apache Rivet required prefork MPM and, alas, Apache's mod_http2 does not work in prefork:

https://http2.pro/doc/Apache: "Apache 2.4.27, HTTP/2 not supported in prefork"

So, one is down to running an HTTP/2 reverse proxy anyways, and use whatever Tcl backend (NaviServer, Apache Rivet) one prefers.

Stefan