Problem with twapi and starkit

Gerhard Reithofer

Mar 1, 2016, 8:08:07 PM3/1/16
Hi *,
I've created a starkit which include also the Oratcl and twapi module.
But I get the follwoing error message on startup of the wrapped exe:
error: couldn't read file
"C:/Users/gerhardr/AppData/Local/Temp/2/TCL0000076c/twapi.tcl": no such
file or directory.

The error message is correct, but why does it search for twapi.tcl?
Both dll files, twapi_base64.dll and Oratcl45-64.dll reside in this
directory but not the twapi of course.

TCL is 8.6.3, twapi is 3.0.32 or 4.1.27.

Any ideas?

--
Gerhard Reithofer - Techn. EDV Reithofer - http://www.tech-edv.co.at

pal...@yahoo.com

Mar 1, 2016, 8:26:33 PM3/1/16
Which twapi distribution format are you using? For tclkit wrapping, you need to use the twapi-bin-4.1.27 distribution which has self contained DLL's, not the twapi-4.1.27 distro. See http://twapi.sourceforge.net/v4.1/installation.html

Gerhard Reithofer

Mar 2, 2016, 6:14:46 AM3/2/16
On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, pal...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:38:07 AM UTC+5:30, Gerhard Reithofer wrote:
> > Hi *,
> > I've created a starkit which include also the Oratcl and twapi module.
> > But I get the follwoing error message on startup of the wrapped exe:
> > error: couldn't read file
> > "C:/Users/gerhardr/AppData/Local/Temp/2/TCL0000076c/twapi.tcl": no such
> > file or directory.

> Which twapi distribution format are you using? For tclkit wrapping, you need to use the twapi-bin-4.1.27 distribution which has self contained DLL's, not the twapi-4.1.27 distro. See http://twapi.sourceforge.net/v4.1/installation.html

Thanks, I used the Sourceforge twapi ZIP file and unpacked it in my
library dir.
The twapi-bin WORKS!!! :) :) :)

BTW: The twapi-bin is much easier to distribute and I also think it
starts up more quickly - one of the problems with Starkits with many
files.

Thank you very much,
Gerhard

pal...@yahoo.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:30:20 AM3/3/16
Ease of distribution and load performance, particularly from a network share, were precisely the motivation for the -bin- version.

You might also want to try the tclkits from the twapi sourceforge site which have twapi statically linked in which is both a little more convenient and slightly faster.

/Ashok

Gerhard Reithofer

Mar 7, 2016, 5:08:05 PM3/7/16
Hi Ashok,

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, pal...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Ease of distribution and load performance, particularly from a network share, were precisely the motivation for the -bin- version.
>
> You might also want to try the tclkits from the twapi sourceforge site which have twapi statically linked in which is both a little more convenient and slightly faster.

I already thought of that but I'm working on Starḱits and by trying the
twapi tclkit I get:

tclkit-cli-8_6_4-twapi-4_1_27-x64-max.exe sdx.kit qwrap import.tcl
can't find package mk4vfs
while executing
"package require mk4vfs"
(file

"V:/resMon/v1.5.1/online/special/resMon_FACC/sdx.kit/lib/app-sdx/sdx.tcl"
line 28)

So it seems that there is the package mk4vfs missing which is
needed for wrapping the StandAloneRuntime.

I repacked once an existing kit and it worked (except the old "NOT SAME
SIZE" problem with the exe contained which comes from multi-plane
images). But I don't like to make my own thing because it has to be
done after each update.

rene

Mar 8, 2016, 2:26:34 AM3/8/16
Am Montag, 7. März 2016 23:08:05 UTC+1 schrieb Gerhard Reithofer:
> I already thought of that but I'm working on Starḱits and by trying the
> twapi tclkit I get:
>
> tclkit-cli-8_6_4-twapi-4_1_27-x64-max.exe sdx.kit qwrap import.tcl
> can't find package mk4vfs
> while executing
> "package require mk4vfs"
> (file
>
> "V:/resMon/v1.5.1/online/special/resMon_FACC/sdx.kit/lib/app-sdx/sdx.tcl"
> line 28)
>
> So it seems that there is the package mk4vfs missing which is
> needed for wrapping the StandAloneRuntime.

The problem is the "package require vfs::mk4" call on this line.
Apparently your tclkit doesn't contain the mk4 declaration.
Even if there is no implementation the "package require" should be provided and give at least an empty string.

HTH
rene

pal...@yahoo.com

Mar 8, 2016, 3:40:54 AM3/8/16
Gerard,

I would suggest checking if your sdx distribution is sufficiently recent. I use the one at https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/tclkit/sdx-20110317.kit without such issues with the twapi-based tclkits.

I suspect the error you are seeing is because the twapi tclkits are based on vlerq and not metakit/mk4 (to avoid C++ dependencies) and older sdx distributions did not understand/support this "tclkit lite" format.

Not sure it's worth the trouble to try and switch but just fyi

/Ashok

Gerhard Reithofer

Mar 15, 2016, 8:08:05 PM3/15/16
Hi Ashok,
it's currently not really neccessary but I tried this SDX.
Unfortunetely there seems to be another problem.

953 updates applied
error deleting "facc_import.exe/tclkit.ico": cross-domain link
while executing
"file delete facc_import.exe/tclkit.ico"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval $args"
invoked from within
"_rsync opts file delete $dest"
(procedure "rcopy" line 24)
invoked from within
"rcopy opts $file $target"
(procedure "rsync" line 63)
invoked from within
"rsync opts $src $dest"
(file "V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/lib/app-sdx/sync.tcl" line 317)
invoked from within
"source [file join [file dirname [info script]] sync.tcl] "
(file "V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/lib/app-sdx/wrap.tcl" line 338)
invoked from within
"source V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/lib/app-sdx/wrap.tcl"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list source [file join $b $a.tcl]]"
(procedure "run_sdx" line 17)
invoked from within
"run_sdx"
(file "V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/lib/app-sdx/sdx.tcl" line 59)
invoked from within
"source V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/lib/app-sdx/sdx.tcl"
("package ifneeded app-sdx 2.0" script)
invoked from within
"package require app-sdx"
(file "V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/main.tcl" line 8)
invoked from within
"source V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/main.tcl"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel [list source [file join $self main.tcl]]"

Thanks,
Gerhard

rene

Nov 9, 2017, 3:48:10 AM11/9/17
Hi Gerhard,

did you find a solution to the "cross-domain link" problem below?
I get sometimes the same message. But not always and only on some drives.

Thank you
Rene

Gerhard Reithofer

Nov 11, 2017, 11:08:08 AM11/11/17
Hi Rene,

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, rene wrote:

> Hi Gerhard,
>
> did you find a solution to the "cross-domain link" problem below?
> I get sometimes the same message. But not always and only on some drives.

that's a real old one - isn't it?

I can only remember that almost all tclkit problems have been solved by
using other kit versions. Also some Samba drives were problematic.
Best success I had with TWAPI kits
https://sourceforge.net/projects/twapi/files/Tcl%20binaries/

What I do not consider anymore is the system icon handling. It depends
on many components like kit-version, Windows version, etc.
If I really needed one it was a very cumbersome work, but it's long ago.

> Thank you
> Rene

> > 953 updates applied
> > error deleting "facc_import.exe/tclkit.ico": cross-domain link
> > while executing

> > "source V:/TCL/Starkit/sdx/sdx-20110317.kit/main.tcl"
> > ("uplevel" body line 1)
> > invoked from within
> > "uplevel [list source [file join $self main.tcl]]"

rene

Nov 13, 2017, 2:38:53 AM11/13/17
Hi Gerald,

Am Samstag, 11. November 2017 17:08:08 UTC+1 schrieb Gerhard Reithofer:

> that's a real old one - isn't it?
>
> I can only remember that almost all tclkit problems have been solved by
> using other kit versions. Also some Samba drives were problematic.
> Best success I had with TWAPI kits
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/twapi/files/Tcl%20binaries/

The problem occurs only sometimes.
I was hoping to get some more clues where to look.
But thank you nonetheless.

rene