Updating sqlite in ActiveTCL

sean

Oct 25, 2017, 12:29:56 AM10/25/17
Hi All,

I would like to use activeTCL on MS Windows, but I noticed the version
of sqlite3 is quite old, it's 3.13.0 or something. How would I go about
updating my local copy of tcl to use a newer version of sqlite3?

Can I download the sqlite3 dlls and place them in a specific directory
for tcl to pick it up and use it? I hope I don't need t compile tcl
and/or sqlite3 on MS Windows just to have a new version available.

I am only using the free community edition, so perhaps the paid product
offers a more modern version of sqlite3 with it.

For reference, sqlite3 3.13.0 was released in May 2016:
http://sqlite.org/src/info/fc49f556e4897056

Thanks for any input into updating sqlite3.

Best,
sean

jm....@orens.fr

Oct 25, 2017, 9:39:59 AM10/25/17
Hello Sean,

If what you want is SQlite with this : http://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html , then
SQLite dll must be compiled with Tcl interface.

As you maybe allready know, official SQLite'site (http://sqlite.org/download.html) provides C source code binaries for windows with tcl interface, but not in compiled form.

Other "batteries included" Tcl/Tk distributions exist for windows apart ActiveTcl, and provide recent compiled sqlite3 package : check BAWT, MagicSplat or IronTcl (see "Latest Software Releases" on https://www.tcl.tk/)

Here, on Win7-64bit, we use latest MagicSplat distribution wich includes SQLite 3.20.0 and can recommend it.

-jm

Rich

Oct 25, 2017, 11:41:14 AM10/25/17
sean <se...@sean.eternal-september.org> wrote:
> Can I download the sqlite3 dlls and place them in a specific directory
> for tcl to pick it up and use it?

You could try this:
1) search for where your current package has stored the dll's
2) replace those dll's with the updated dll's (being sure to pick 32
or 64 bit depending upon your Tcl version [must match])
3) test to see if it worked.

Harald Oehlmann

Oct 26, 2017, 5:01:24 AM10/26/17
Sean,

you just put the packages tdbc::sqlite3 and sqlite3 in your application
as packages.
The current tcl 8.6.7 release bundels:
tdbc::sqlite3 version 1.0.5
sqlite3 version 33.20.0

I have those compiled with ms-vc (same compiler as used by ActiveState)
for 32 bit. I may E-Mail it to you. You find my E-Mail on the wiki page hao.

But you may also extract them from Ashoks battery included tcl version
(or even use Ashoks version instead of ActiveTcl).

Please use link "Magicsplat" on tcl.tk

Hope this helps,
Harald

sean

Nov 5, 2017, 3:43:17 PM11/5/17
Hi Jim,
On 2017-10-25, jm....@orens.fr <jm....@orens.fr> wrote:

> Hello Sean,
>
> If what you want is SQlite with this : http://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html , then
> SQLite dll must be compiled with Tcl interface.
>
> Here, on Win7-64bit, we use latest MagicSplat distribution wich
> includes SQLite 3.20.0 and can recommend it.

Thanks for pointing me to different Windows version of tcl. I didn't
know other versions for Windows were available, which even include
recent versions of sqlite3.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks to your post, too.

> -jm

sean

Nov 5, 2017, 3:45:09 PM11/5/17
On 2017-10-26, Harald Oehlmann <wort...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Am 25.10.2017 um 17:40 schrieb Rich:
>> sean <se...@sean.eternal-september.org> wrote:
>>> Can I download the sqlite3 dlls and place them in a specific directory
>>> for tcl to pick it up and use it?
>>
>> You could try this:
>> 1) search for where your current package has stored the dll's
>> 2) replace those dll's with the updated dll's (being sure to pick 32
>> or 64 bit depending upon your Tcl version [must match])
>> 3) test to see if it worked.
>>

> Sean,
>
> you just put the packages tdbc::sqlite3 and sqlite3 in your application
> as packages.
> The current tcl 8.6.7 release bundels:
> tdbc::sqlite3 version 1.0.5
> sqlite3 version 33.20.0

Are you sure you have that sqlite3 version correct? 33.20.0?

> I have those compiled with ms-vc (same compiler as used by ActiveState)
> for 32 bit. I may E-Mail it to you. You find my E-Mail on the wiki page hao.
>
> But you may also extract them from Ashoks battery included tcl version
> (or even use Ashoks version instead of ActiveTcl).
>
> Please use link "Magicsplat" on tcl.tk

Yes, I've now seen that on the TCL website and see it bundles a more
recent version of sqlite3 with it.

Thanks for your reply.

> Hope this helps,
> Harald