Event Loops, Task Queues, Stacks, and Threads

Adam Jensen

Jul 29, 2018, 6:05:36 PM7/29/18
Are there any good resources that describe Tcl's core execution model
beyond just shallow descriptions of command syntax? For example, this
presentation <https://youtu.be/8aGhZQkoFbQ> seems to communicate a
comprehension of a useful aspect of javascript's execution model. Have
any Tcl users or developers recorded their comprehension of the Tcl
execution model at a similar level of abstraction?

I've found a chapter of a book on Tcl Threads that might still be
relevant to the current releases: <http://www.beedub.com/book/4th/
Threads.pdf>, but it doesn't describe the Event Loops and Task Queues of
each interpreter in each thread and how they then interact.

There might be a few hints on the Tcl wiki but it seems like a heap of
dubious notes and musings from various people of unknown experience,
capability and intention. These notes don't even seem to be signed or
date stamped in many cases. From a methodology perspective, this process
seem rather bizarre in how obviously dysfunctional it is at producing a
quality information resource.

I suppose the thing do to would be to gather, review, qualify and refine
these notes, articles and book blurbs then try to synthesize an effective
description, with many examples and their explanations, of this critical
aspect of the Tcl technology.

Has anyone done anything like this or is there something like this that
is part of the community's process?

陈奕

Aug 1, 2018, 4:05:47 AM8/1/18
在 2018年7月30日星期一 UTC+8上午6:05:36,Adam Jensen写道:
Hello Sir,

I think tcl is just a script language . You can implement the functions what you want to do in other language for example c++. And then wrap to tcl commands and use it.

stefan

Aug 1, 2018, 6:15:32 AM8/1/18
Hi Adam!

> Has anyone done anything like this or is there something like this that
> is part of the community's process?

See Chapters 15 and 22 in

Nadkarni, A. P. (2017). The Tcl Programming Language: A Comprehensive Guide. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

They should cover some basics and give further references.

Stefan

Adam Jensen

Aug 1, 2018, 10:24:53 PM8/1/18
Thanks, Stefan. I just bought a copy from Amazon. Yesterday, I received a
copy of "Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition)".

Side note: I loathe programming books. I appreciate the effort the
authors probably put into them and I understand that making use of the
existing socio-economic system of book publishers, printers, and
distributors is pretty much the only way these guys can afford to invest
that much effort but software documentation needs to be continuously
edited, refined and tested along with the software. This is also very
structured information. Shoehorning it into a book form and printing it
on paper is goofy. </rant>

Anyway, thanks again for the reference.