macOS Frameworks pre-compiled/how to compile them

kellyo...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2018, 3:01:04 PM12/13/18
Hello,

I am quite new in the world of Tcl/tk and I need some basic advice. I need to deploy an application on macOS and I need to integrate inside my .app Tcl/Tk in order not to rely on the macOS version of Tcl/Tk which is too old.

A couple of question:
1) for the above situation, I normally see the use of Frameworks (I see them in other .app using Tcl/Tk). Is this only option for macOS in order to have a "portable" Tcl/Tk?
2) Where can I find pre-compiled versions (Frameworks)? I could find no single distribution...
3) Can somebody point me to a step-by-step guide on how to compile my own Frameworks on macOS? Or it is too complicated?

Thank you and thank you for your time!

Kelly

Christian Gollwitzer

Dec 13, 2018, 5:04:41 PM12/13/18
Am 13.12.18 um 21:01 schrieb kellyo...@gmail.com:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new in the world of Tcl/tk and I need some basic advice. I need to deploy an application on macOS and I need to integrate inside my .app Tcl/Tk in order not to rely on the macOS version of Tcl/Tk which is too old.
>
> A couple of question:
> 1) for the above situation, I normally see the use of Frameworks (I see them in other .app using Tcl/Tk). Is this only option for macOS in order to have a "portable" Tcl/Tk?

You can also use a starpack as is usual on other platforms. A starpack
in itself is only executable from the command line, but if you wrap it
in the .app, you can create a macOS program which looks and works like
any other.

> 2) Where can I find pre-compiled versions (Frameworks)? I could find no single distribution...

Here is a demo how I did it in the past: http://auriocus.de/OSXAppDemo/

I've used kbskit, self-compiled using the kbs.tcl script from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/kbs/

Unfortunately, kbs.tcl was not officially updated for two years and now,
with macOS Mojave, the most recent version of Tk is required. The app
from above uses an older version. You could, however, easily hack
kbs.tcl and replace the version numbers to work with the most recent
Tcl. BAWT is another option which should work on macOS as well:
http://www.bawt.tcl3d.org/

Christian

gregor...@googlemail.com

Dec 15, 2018, 3:19:13 AM12/15/18

stefan

Dec 18, 2018, 11:45:24 AM12/18/18
> 3) Can somebody point me to a step-by-step guide on how to compile my own Frameworks on macOS? Or it is too complicated?

x-posted:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53777217/find-precompiled-or-compile-tcl-tk-frameworks-for-macos

//stefan