Looking for Tcl web server recommendation

David Hanks

Aug 16, 2011, 1:12:15 PM8/16/11
I am planning on embedding a web server into an existing Tcl
application and would like some recommendations on a web server and am
required to use Tcl 8.5, which I think rules out Wub and Wibble. I've
looked at Tclhttpd but am a little leery about how old it is. Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Gerald W. Lester

Aug 16, 2011, 2:08:39 PM8/16/11

What do you need this "embedded web server" to do?

I'm going to assume it is not a general server, but to sever up a some
application specific pages in a secure environment. If so take a look on
wiki.tcl.tk, there are a couple of very small light weight servers there
(there is also a very small one that comes with TclHttpd). The more you add
(i.e. complex things you want to do), the more you want something like one
of the big boys (TclHttpd, etc).

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

David Hanks

Aug 16, 2011, 3:39:15 PM8/16/11
On Aug 16, 11:08 am, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@KnG-
Consulting.net> wrote:

> What do you need this "embedded web server" to do?
>
> I'm going to assume it is not a general server, but to sever up a some
> application specific pages in a secure environment.

Yes, precisely. What I'm not sure about is the exact number of clients
I can expect to connect, but I think it's in the hundreds at most, so
I'm not too concerned about the load on the server. It'll basically be
extracting data from the application and serving it up to browsers for
display.

I've been to the wiki and have seen what's available. I was just
wondering if anyone had first hand experience and could make a
recommendation. I think for now I'm going to have a closer look at
TclHttpd and proceed from there.

Arjen Markus

Aug 16, 2011, 3:45:05 PM8/16/11

The Wiki itself is run via Wub - be sure to have a look at that as
well.

Regards,

Arjen

David Hanks

Aug 16, 2011, 4:28:20 PM8/16/11

Hi Arjen!

Wub is no good. It requires Tcl 8.6 and I have to use 8.5. Same thing
with Wibble.

Tcl Bliss

Aug 16, 2011, 11:08:20 PM8/16/11

I think, for your case, TclHttpd is the best choice. It works with
8.5, plus, it is well documented.
http://www.beedub.com/book/3rd/tclhttpd.pdf

Arjen Markus

Aug 17, 2011, 3:08:04 AM8/17/11
> with Wibble.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Ah, yes, that is indeed a constraint.

Regards,

Arjen