Re: good windows IDE ?

Message has been deleted

Daniel A. Mezentsev

Jan 1, 2008, 1:36:41 PM1/1/08
canvas_remix wrote:

> please suggest a good (and free offcourse !) IDE (like Visual Studio
> or eclipse) for a project
> involving c++ and tcl/tk programming on windows.

Kdevelop ?

Jeff Hobbs

Jan 1, 2008, 2:51:59 PM1/1/08
On Jan 1, 10:16 am, canvas_remix <sgiitne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please suggest a good (and free offcourse !) IDE (like Visual Studio
> or eclipse) for a project
> involving c++ and tcl/tk programming on windows.

Try Komodo Edit:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_edit/

Jeff

Daniel A. Mezentsev

Jan 1, 2008, 3:02:25 PM1/1/08
Jeff Hobbs wrote:

It's really heavy. I was working with Komodo, but switched back to Kdevelop.

Michael Schlenker

Jan 1, 2008, 4:56:40 PM1/1/08
canvas_remix schrieb:

> please suggest a good (and free offcourse !) IDE (like Visual Studio
> or eclipse) for a project
> involving c++ and tcl/tk programming on windows.

Try Eclipse with the C++ and DLTK plugin...
http://www.eclipse.org/dltk/

at least if your familiar with Eclipse...

Michael

Donal K. Fellows

Jan 1, 2008, 6:53:31 PM1/1/08
Daniel A. Mezentsev wrote:
> It's really heavy. I was working with Komodo, but switched back to Kdevelop.

It can't be as heavy as Eclipse. (Not without being made out of
neutronium and thus in danger of collapsing to form a black hole...)

Donal.

Robert Hicks

Jan 1, 2008, 7:14:07 PM1/1/08
On Jan 1, 3:02 pm, "Daniel A. Mezentsev" <dmezent...@parasun.com>
wrote:

KDevelop is on Windows?

I would use Komodo Edit first and then eclipse DLTK (which I haven't
really used yet).

Robert

Eckhard Lehmann

Jan 1, 2008, 7:36:51 PM1/1/08
Robert Hicks schrieb:

> I would use Komodo Edit first and then eclipse DLTK (which I haven't
> really used yet).

Eclipse DLTK is not too bad...
But both, Komodo Edit *and* DLTK lack the possibility to browse Itcl and
XOTcl classes. This is a knockout criterium for me, in 2008.

Eckhard

Robert Hicks

Jan 1, 2008, 9:09:28 PM1/1/08

I thought the DLTK just added XOTcl support?

Robert

Eckhard Lehmann

Jan 2, 2008, 4:58:18 AM1/2/08
Robert Hicks schrieb:

> I thought the DLTK just added XOTcl support?

That must be so recent that I missed it so far ;-). Would be really
cool, though - I need to check it out.

Eckhard

Eckhard Lehmann

Jan 2, 2008, 6:09:57 AM1/2/08
Eckhard Lehmann schrieb:

> Robert Hicks schrieb:
>
>> I thought the DLTK just added XOTcl support?

Installed right now:
- Eclipse Europe
- DLTK 0.9.1

Neither XOTcl nor Itcl support, neither with nor without importing the
namespace commands.

Sorry to disappoint, but it seems like Tloona and XOTclIDE are the only
ones that support that kind of essential class browsing feature (plus
Ased, but only for Itcl). Those IDE's in turn are not for C/C++ coding.

Eckhard

Rob

Jan 2, 2008, 7:04:57 AM1/2/08

Robert Hicks

Jan 2, 2008, 8:20:11 AM1/2/08
> http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/downloads/drops/R1.0/S-1....
>
> Rob.

I knew I saw something like that!

Eckhard, you should try it at and post on the wiki. I think there is a
page for it. Let us know what you think.

Robert

Eckhard Lehmann

Jan 2, 2008, 9:43:49 AM1/2/08
Robert Hicks schrieb:

>> Try the following:
>>
>> http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/downloads/drops/R1.0/S-1....
>>
>> Rob.
>
> I knew I saw something like that!

Good to know that. I will wait until it is officially available via
update URL.. (For my current slight XOTcl involements I use Tloona, of
course ;-)).
But I will watch DLTK...

Eckhard

sp...@controlq.com

Jan 2, 2008, 10:40:13 AM1/2/08

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, canvas_remix wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:16:54 -0800 (PST)
> From: canvas_remix <sgiit...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
> Subject: good windows IDE ?

> please suggest a good (and free offcourse !) IDE (like Visual Studio
> or eclipse) for a project
> involving c++ and tcl/tk programming on windows.

I'm pretty sure that vi runs on windows ...

Ramon Ribó

Jan 2, 2008, 10:48:55 AM1/2/08

Depending on what you expect from an IDE, RamDebugger can be a
good solution:

- It is a full debugger, local and remote

- It permits to edit the file and colorize it by making a full
syntax review of the code

- It helps in finding matching parentheses

- It helps to find some syntax errors

- It also colorizes XML

- The syntactic parsing and colorization is fast, as it has two
implementations: one in c++ and one in TCL, for compatibility

- It has the concept of working with several buffers

- It is programmed in TCL-TK and Tile and is open source

- The syntax review works good with snit

- It has powerful search tools

What it is NOT:

- It does not make project management (in the sense of grouping
source files together)

- It does not have class browsers

- It has not been tested with other object systems, apart from
snit

- It does not generate automatically starkits

Basically, it has the tools that during the years we have considered
useful for our development team.

Robert Hicks

Jan 2, 2008, 11:09:07 AM1/2/08
On Jan 2, 10:40 am, s...@controlq.com wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, canvas_remix wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:16:54 -0800 (PST)
> > From: canvas_remix <sgiitne...@gmail.com>

> > Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
> > Subject: good windows IDE ?
>
> > please suggest a good (and free offcourse !) IDE (like Visual Studio
> > or eclipse) for a project
> > involving c++ and tcl/tk programming on windows.
>
> I'm pretty sure that vi runs on windows ...

I am a vi/Vim nut but it isn't really an IDE. Which is why I didn't
mention it. : )

Robert