wctpxml-python

alf

Feb 14, 2006, 2:06:14 PM2/14/06
Hi

I would like to convert the wctpXml-1.3.py program to Tcl (line by
line). See http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=29217
This program sends pages using WCTP. I know nothing about Python or
XML but this program is small and seems straightforward and I am sure
that I will be able to figure it out.
Did I miss/overlook anything? Is it feasible using Tcl and its
extensions?

Thanks
alf

Steve Ball

Feb 14, 2006, 2:49:20 PM2/14/06
alf,

Writing code to communicate using a network protocol is pretty
straight-forward in Tcl, and there are plenty of examples to help show
how to do it (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, etc). I don't know about WCTP in
particular, but if Python can do it then so can Tcl.

Tcl also has extensions and packages available to most other things,
eg. TclXML/TclDOM for handling the XML parts.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

alf

Feb 14, 2006, 3:32:27 PM2/14/06
Steve

I share the same faith in Tcl, otherwise I would not bother ;)
My concern is the that the original code relies on external libraries
which may not be available to Tcl as the following Python lines may
indicate:
from Pager import *
from wctpXml import *

Thanks
alf

Steve Ball

Feb 15, 2006, 3:06:56 PM2/15/06
alf,

It depends on what those external libraries do, and for what purpose
they are being used in the script. If they are doing the bulk of the
work then you have a somewhat larger porting job ahead of you ;-)

Steve

alf

Feb 15, 2006, 4:33:42 PM2/15/06
Steve

Indeed.
I was hoping that a Python savvy person could answer that...

Thanks
alf

Cameron Laird

Feb 22, 2006, 3:08:03 PM2/22/06
In article <1140039222.0...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

alf <amnon....@citicorp.com> wrote:
>Steve
>
>Indeed.
>I was hoping that a Python savvy person could answer that...
.
.
.
I don't think there's a happy answer for you. "Pager" and "wctpXml"
look like substantial projects whose functionality is NOT duplicated
in widely-available Tcl packages. Good luck.