Windows clipboard: custom types not cross-process ?

Bryan Oakley

Feb 25, 2008, 5:24:26 PM2/25/08
Under Windows I can do this in a single wish shell:

tclshell_1% clipboard clear
tclshell_1% clipboard append -type CUSTOM "this is foo"
tclshell_1% clipboard get -type CUSTOM
=> this is foo

AND, under windows I can open two shells and do this with positive results:

tclshell_1% clipboard clear
tclshell_1% clipboard append "Hello from shell 1"

tclshell_2% clipboard get
=> Hello from shell 1

However, this does NOT work:

tclshell_1% clipboard clear
tclshell_1% clipboard append -type CUSTOM "hello"

tclshell_2% clipboard get -type CUSTOM
=> CLIPBOARD selection doesn't exist or form "CUSTOM" not defined

Is this supposed to work, or are custom clipboard types known to only
work in-process or only on *nix?

--
Bryan Oakley
http://www.tclscripting.com

Bob Techentin

Feb 26, 2008, 3:30:43 PM2/26/08
On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Bryan Oakley <oak...@bardo.clearlight.com> wrote:

> Is this supposed to work, or are custom clipboard types known to only
> work in-process or only on *nix?

The wiki page on clipboard (http://wiki.tcl.tk/1423) says that Windows
is limited to STRING types.

Bob
--
techenti...@mayo.edu

Bryan Oakley

Feb 26, 2008, 4:12:14 PM2/26/08

Thanks. I somehow missed that comment.

This got me to thinking I can probably use twapi to do what I want to
do. In fact, with a little experimentation I see that I can register my
own format and transfer data between processes -- just what I want!

USCode

Feb 26, 2008, 4:25:04 PM2/26/08
Bob Techentin wrote:
> The wiki page on clipboard (http://wiki.tcl.tk/1423) says that Windows
> is limited to STRING types.

So this is a Tk limitation, not a Windows clipboard limitation ?

Bryan Oakley

Feb 26, 2008, 5:16:22 PM2/26/08

That appears to be the case.