Problem building current Tcl 8.6 on MacOS X

14 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Torsten Berg

ungelesen,
05.01.2011, 16:15:3905.01.11
an
Hi,

I am not sure under what category at SF to file this bug, since it
affects both Tcl and Tk when building from source ...
so I'll report it here:

I build Tcl/Tk from the sources (on MacOS X 10.6.5) using the typical
lines

make -C tcl${ver}/macosx
make -C tk${ver}/macosx
make -C tcl${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT="$HOME/Tcl/
distrib/mac-builds/${dest}/"
make -C tk${ver}/macosx install-embedded INSTALL_ROOT="$HOME/Tcl/
distrib/mac-builds/${dest}/"

as described in the appropriate README/NSTALL files. With the current
cvs version this now fails, when 'make install-binaries ..." is done:

make install-binaries install-libraries \
INSTALL_PROGRAM="/bin/sh /Users/Torsten/Tcl/distrib/tk/
unix/../unix/install-sh -c -s" \
INSTALL_LIBRARY="/bin/sh /Users/Torsten/Tcl/distrib/tk/
unix/../unix/install-sh -c -S -x"

The error is "invalid option: -S". This option existed in version 1.3
of the install-sh script, both in the "tcl/unix" and "tk/unix"
directories. Since version 1.4 was checked in 2 months ago, the option
is gone, but still used in the make files for MacOS X.

It is quite simple to re-introduce this option again. Just inserting

-S) stripcmd="$stripprog $2"
shift;;

at the appropriate place in the case statement in install-sh does the
trick for me. But I am unsure, if this is the right thing to do, since
there must have been a reason to remove the "-S" option in the first
place. Maybe the make files should not use "-S" any longer and thus
changes to the make files should be made. Can anyone elaborate?

Regards, Torsten

Alexandre Ferrieux

ungelesen,
05.01.2011, 16:27:1905.01.11
an

Looking at the unix install-sh and observing the current state, I
believe that the spirit of the move is to replace

install-sh ... -S foo

with

export STRIPPROG=foo
install-sh ... -s

Note that -S took an argument, while -s doesn't; an env variable is
used instead.
So the natural way of propagating the change would be to use -s
everywhere, and set that var when another STRIPPROG than the default
is needed.

-Alex

Torsten Berg

ungelesen,
06.01.2011, 02:20:5906.01.11
an
Hi Alex,

> Looking at the unix install-sh and observing the current state, I
> believe that the spirit of the move is to replace
>
>  install-sh ... -S foo
>
> with
>
>  export STRIPPROG=foo
>  install-sh ... -s
>
> Note that -S took an argument, while -s doesn't; an env variable is
> used instead.
> So the natural way of propagating the change would be to use -s
> everywhere, and set that var when another STRIPPROG than the default
> is needed.

Thanks for your answer. Your observation makes sense and now I
understand better the reason to remove the -S option.

I have now filed that on SF:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3152308&group_id=10894&atid=110894

Torsten

0 neue Nachrichten