Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

TCL CORE TEAM ANNOUNCES: John Ousterhout retires from Tcl Core Team

閲覧: 104 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Kevin Kenny

未読、
2008/12/15 17:11:442008/12/15
To:
TCL CORE TEAM
SPECIAL RESOLUTION 2008-3

WHEREAS, John K. Ousterhout advises the Tcl Core Team that, in his
opinion, he has not made a significant contribution to Tcl in the last
five years; and further

WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout further advises the team that he is confident
that Tcl and the Tk toolkit are in good hands with the current Tcl
Core Team; and further

WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout further advises the team that he wishes to be
accounted a Tcl Core Team member emeritus; and further

WHEREAS, it is impossible to give an adequate account of
Dr. Ousterhout's accomplishments as the true "father of Tcl/Tk:" from
overseeing its initial construction in the laboratories at Berkeley,
through overseeing its publicity and recruiting community development,
through its period of commercial development at Sun, Scriptics, and
Ajuba, into the community-maintained system that it is today:
activities for which he richly deserved the ACM Software System Award
that the Association for Computing Machinery granted him in 1997, his
induction as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery in
1994, and his membership in the National Academy of Engineering; and
further

WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout is mentioned by name in the fundamental
documents (TIP #0 and TIP #2) defining the Tcl Core Team, and accorded
especial privileges as "Benevolent Dictator" with the ability to
resolve any deadlocks by executive fiat; and further

WHEREAS, the "Benevolent Dictator Clause" has been long regarded by
the Tcl Core Team as an important "safety valve" in its process; and
further

WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout's departure will necessitate reonsideration of
that element of the Tcl Core Team's charter;

NOW THEREFORE be it

RESOLVED, that the Tcl Core Team accepts with the profoundest regret
the resignation of Dr. John K. Ousterhout from its ranks, and offers
him heartfelt thanks and admiration for his many years of tireless
service; and be it further

RESOLVED, that Dr. John K. Ousterhout shall be designated

FOUNDER AND MEMBER EMERITUS OF THE TCL CORE TEAM

a title that can be rightfully applied only to him; and further be it

RESOLVED, that the Tcl Core Team do at once commit to a Committee of
the Whole to propose appropriate Amendments to its Constitution and
By-Laws (as set forth in Tcl Improvement Proposals #0 and #2), and
that said Committee of the Whole shall rise and report at such time as
it shall find convenient, but in any event no later than 31 January
2009.

DONE, this fifteenth day of December, 2008

For the Tcl Core Team

Mo DeJong
Joe English
Donal K. Fellows
Jeffrey Hobbs
George A. Howlett
Kevin B. Kenny
Andreas Kupries
Karl Lehenbauer
Jan Nijtmans
John K. Ousterhout, founder and member emeritus
Donald G. Porter
Miguel Sofer
Daniel A. Steffen

walto...@gmail.com

未読、
2008/12/15 19:15:582008/12/15
To:
On Dec 15, 11:11 pm, Kevin Kenny <kenn...@acm.org> wrote:
> TCL CORE TEAM
> SPECIAL RESOLUTION 2008-3
>
> WHEREAS, John K. Ousterhout advises the Tcl Core Team that, in his
> opinion, he has not made a significant contribution to Tcl in the last
> five years; and further

I would like to thank you for this important announcement,

WHEREAS the impact it will have on the Tcl community.

WHEREAS, I would also like to thank, WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout for
creating such a great language WHEREAS it is enjoyed by countless
individuals WHEREAS worldwide. WHEREAS, I'm sorry to to see Dr.
Ousterhout go, but I suppose all things come to an end.

Sincerely WHEREAS,

Paul Walton

;)

Kevin Kenny

未読、
2008/12/15 19:41:312008/12/15
To:
walto...@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to thank you for this important announcement,
>
> WHEREAS the impact it will have on the Tcl community.
>
> WHEREAS, I would also like to thank, WHEREAS, Dr. Ousterhout for
> creating such a great language WHEREAS it is enjoyed by countless
> individuals WHEREAS worldwide. WHEREAS, I'm sorry to to see Dr.
> Ousterhout go, but I suppose all things come to an end.
>
> Sincerely WHEREAS,

Several people have been privately and publicly poking fun at
the choice of language. I was following conventional parliamentary
procedure when I drafted these resolutions:

http://www.robertsrules.org/rror-01.htm#4

Yes, the phrasing is stilted, but it serves for Westminster,
Capitol Hill, and even the Canadians and Aussies.

--
73 de k9etv/2, Kevin

stevel

未読、
2008/12/15 19:52:352008/12/15
To:
On Dec 16, 9:41 am, Kevin Kenny <kenn...@acm.org> wrote:

And it looks good on parchment ;-)

stevel

Aric Bills

未読、
2008/12/15 21:31:412008/12/15
To:
I suppose this announcement just formalizes the reality that we've all
been aware of for some time, but just the same it's sad to see the
benevolent dictator retire. People, like programming languages, come
and go; but I hope Tcl will remain a viable language for many years to
come, in spite of the recent "official" retirements of many prominent
Tcl'ers of years past.

In any case, I owe a profound debt of gratitude to Dr. Ousterhout for
creating and releasing under an extremely generous license this
elegant language that I have used on almost a daily basis for the past
seven or so years. While it hasn't necessarily helped me get any
jobs, it has helped me do my work in every job I've held but one in
the past seven years. On top of all that, it is just a pleasure to
program in Tcl/Tk. So, many thanks, Dr. Ousterhout, and best wishes
for the future.

SANKY

未読、
2008/12/16 9:37:392008/12/16
To:
Respected Sir John,

All through these 20 yrs, from the beginning you offered marvelous
support to one of the most prestegious languages ever in the history
of computers.

My Adieu to you Sir Ousterhout.

Tcl is my alltime favourite language.

Thanks a lot for offering this wonderful language and making ways for
many people through this.

All the best for your future and hope Tcl will have its green going as
ever in the future also.

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also
be the beginning."

Gerry Snyder

未読、
2008/12/16 10:54:002008/12/16
SANKY wrote:
> Respected Sir John,
>

> All through these 20 yrs, from the beginning....

Now is a good time to be reminded of how it all got started, in Sir
John's own words:

http://www.tcl.tk/about/history.html

A good read!

Gerry

bernard...@gmail.com

未読、
2008/12/16 12:12:202008/12/16

And yet Tcl is still getting new users like me :-) I don't know how I
overlooked it in the past. But after feeling constrained by VB, Java,
Python, etc., I finally started digging into the details of Tcl last
week, and it's been an amazing experience. I'm simply astonished to
be able to write and run Tcl/Tk applications on my mobile phone.

Bernard

Frédéric Bonnet

未読、
2008/12/16 15:39:192008/12/16
To:
Au revoir et merci, Dr. Ousterhout. Your work changed my life as a
software developer.

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

未読、
2008/12/17 15:33:082008/12/17
To:
Many thanks to Mr. Dr. Ousterhout for his development of Tcl, the language
our company is using so successful.

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
port GmbH

Synic

未読、
2008/12/20 1:04:182008/12/20
To:
Many thanks, John K. Ousterhout, for the work you did bringing Tcl to the
world.
新着メール 0 件