ANNOUNCE: TileGTK 0.1 available for testing

Georgios Petasis

Aug 6, 2008, 2:44:08 PM8/6/08
After about 3 days of development the first release of TileGTK is
available for testing :-) (Ok, I have cheated a little, as I used TileQt
as a basis :-) )

What is TileGTK?
=======================================

TileGTK is C extension that implements a Ttk theme, using GTK+ 2 for
drawing. It requires Tk >= 8.5.2 for the time being.

Where to find TileGTK?
=======================================
Here:
http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=45

What to expect from version 0.1?
=======================================
A Ttk theme that does not crash, and a theme that is able to draw all
tile elements except the ones related to trees. Some problems in
rendering some GTK+ styles are expected, and it is a good idea these
problems to be reported :-)

License?
=======================================
Well, TileGTK sources are BSD. GTK+ though is GPL. So, binaries are also
GPL.

Screenshots?
=======================================
Fedora 9 - Nodoka style:

http://www.ellogon.org/~petasis/tcl/tile-gtk-dev-0.3.png
http://www.ellogon.org/~petasis/tcl/tile-gtk-dev-0.3-2.png

Vista 64 - Raleigh style:

http://www.ellogon.org/~petasis/tcl/tile-gtk-dev-0.3-win.png

George

GPS

Aug 6, 2008, 4:25:58 PM8/6/08
Georgios Petasis wrote:
>=======================================
> Well, TileGTK sources are BSD. GTK+ though is GPL. So, binaries are also
> GPL.

I believe it's actually LGPL, as the home page states here:
http://www.gtk.org/

George Petasis

Aug 6, 2008, 5:49:02 PM8/6/08
to GPS
O/H GPS έγραψε:

Even better :-)
So, the binaries are LGPL :-)

George

Andres Garcia

Aug 6, 2008, 7:02:08 PM8/6/08

I got into some trouble trying to compile it, it looks like
build_64.sh has windows line endings or something.

But after fixing that doing 'sh build_64.sh' stops with:

CMake Error: TclStub_DIR is not set. It must be set to the directory
containing TclStubConfig.cmake in order to use TclStub.
-- Configuring done

Something obvious I am missing?

Thanks,
Andres

Georgios Petasis

Aug 7, 2008, 2:51:12 AM8/7/08
to Andres Garcia
O/H Andres Garcia έγραψε:

Dear Andres,

Can you please report your cmake version, and where the tcl/tk/ttk stubs
libs are located in your system?

George

Andres Garcia

Aug 7, 2008, 9:26:00 AM8/7/08

> Can you please report your cmake version

That was the problem, I had version 2.4.8. I have now
installed 2.6.1 and it works further, but it still
ends up giving a warning:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are
set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake
files:
X11_Xft_LIB (ADVANCED)
linked by target "tilegtk0.1" in
directory /home/andres/Trastos/Tcl/Versiones/tile-gtk-0.1
X11_Xscreensaver_LIB (ADVANCED)
linked by target "tilegtk0.1" in
directory /home/andres/Trastos/Tcl/Versiones/tile-gtk-0.1

Don't know how serious it is, but when I cd into
build-uni64-make-release and type 'make install' it
answers there is no such target

Andres

Georgios Petasis

Aug 7, 2008, 9:54:43 AM8/7/08
to Andres Garcia
O/H Andres Garcia έγραψε:

Actually, these are X11 libraries you are missing :-)
The problem is that TileGTK does not need these libraries.
I had made a mistake and though they were needed during linking, but
this is not true. I have updated TieGTK build system to not search for
them. Can you please download again TileGTK from the cvs repository and
try again?

The commands to do so are:

cvs -d:pserver:anon...@tktable.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tktable login
(type enter)

cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anon...@tktable.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tktable co -P
tile-themes/tile-gtk

More information can be found at http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=11464

George

sp...@controlq.com

Aug 7, 2008, 11:44:28 AM8/7/08

George,

Firstly, nice work! Screenshots are *VERY* nice.

Secondly, and in the spirit of "teach a man to fish", and seeing as you
personally are the new "theme foundary", is there any chance that you
might have documented the process of theme development in C? (I can guess
the answer, but I had to ask while the info is still fresh in your mind
8-).

Cheers,
Rob Sciuk

Andres Garcia

Aug 7, 2008, 3:18:34 PM8/7/08

This maybe getting silly but I have another problem.

In Mandriva the gtk headers are in:

/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk
.
.
.
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk

So while compiling it complains it can't find, for
example, gtk/gtk.h

How can I tell cmake to add a -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0

Andres

George Petasis

Aug 7, 2008, 5:48:21 PM8/7/08
to Andres Garcia
O/H Andres Garcia έγραψε:
Dear Andres,

I think you are not following the instructions :-)
Are you usung the cvs head version, or the tile-gtk-0.1.zip?

If you are using the zip arcive, you forgot to install the FindGTK.cmake
from TileGTK to the cmake module library.

If you are using the latest cvs head, this cannot be happening.
In such a case, can you send me the cmake output?

You can add an include path by either using
-DCMAKE_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH=<path> at the command line, or by adding
INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES ( path ) in CMakeLists.txt.

But this is strange :-) In my fedora 9, the include files are in the
same location...

George

Georgios Petasis

Aug 8, 2008, 4:56:54 AM8/8/08
to sp...@controlq.com
O/H sp...@controlq.com έγραψε:

Dear Rob,

Well, you know the answer :-)
I am very bad at documenting things, unfortunately...

Regards,

George

Georgios Petasis

Aug 8, 2008, 10:08:48 AM8/8/08
Hi all,

TileGTK cvs head is ready to be used without linking to GTK+ libraries
under linux!
The relevant screenshot is here:

http://www.ellogon.org/~petasis/tcl/tile-gtk-dev-0.5.png

(Note the terminal at the top left corner :-) )

I have used the module loading utilities of glib for performing
cross-platform loading of shared libraries, and this is why the TileGTK
shared library is linked with libmodule.so, ligdl.so & libglib.so.
But all functions used from glib are still used by loading the library,
which means that the Tl loading mechanism can be used, when it will be
ready.

In order to build TileGTK without linking to the GTK+ libraries (which
is not the default), just edit CMakeLists.txt, line 18, to set
LOAD_GTK_DYNAMICALLY to ON:

SET ( LOAD_GTK_DYNAMICALLY ON )

Not tested yet under windows.

George

Georgios Petasis

Aug 8, 2008, 3:12:38 PM8/8/08
O/H Georgios Petasis έγραψε:

Tested also under windows :-)

George

Googie

Aug 8, 2008, 4:10:04 PM8/8/08
Georgios Petasis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> TileGTK cvs head is ready to be used without linking to GTK+
> libraries under linux!

[...]

That's impressive! How will it behave under system without GTK
installed?

--
Pozdrawiam (Regards)!
Googie

George Petasis

Aug 8, 2008, 4:36:20 PM8/8/08
to Googie
O/H Googie έγραψε:

> Georgios Petasis wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> TileGTK cvs head is ready to be used without linking to GTK+
>> libraries under linux!
> [...]
>
> That's impressive! How will it behave under system without GTK
> installed?

It will report an error and the theme will not be available in tile :-)
(No, it will not crash :-) )

George

Mats

Aug 9, 2008, 4:03:22 AM8/9/08
I must admit I got a bit exaggerated when this was announced so I
wrote a blog article with some recent advances:
http://coccinella.im/tcl-tk-recent-advances

Mats

PS: almost 2000 reads in 12 hours!

George Petasis

Aug 11, 2008, 5:40:38 PM8/11/08
I am preparing a 0.2 release, so it would be nice if feedback is
provided based on the latest cvs head. Does it compile in your operating
system?

Instructions available here:

http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=45

George

Mats

Aug 13, 2008, 4:17:29 AM8/13/08
> http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view...

My linux box is sadly outdated and I thought I should get something
newer before investing more into it.
However, my blog seems to have generated some interest:
http://osnews.com/comments/20181
http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2008081200735OSDTGN

Mats

PS: > 4000 reads!