Tcl dot net (Tcl.net, yes microsoft net framework) ? realistic?

Michael Reichenbach

May 26, 2007, 7:44:14 PM5/26/07
I am not a microsoft fan, but I think .net is a good thing.

To make a nice gui with winforms and vb.net is more easy for me then
using tk. Or with .net it`s easy to use win api functions.

What about Tcl.net? The tcl syntax is more easy then C# / vb. Tcl.net
with Microsoft Visual Studio and full oop by standard would be the most
awesome thing I can imagine as programing language.

Is there a statement about this idea from the tcl developers?

What about the tcl core team? Is it still interested, active and alive
or out of breath?

Robert Hicks

May 26, 2007, 10:37:38 PM5/26/07
On May 26, 7:44 pm, Michael Reichenbach <Reichenb...@discardmail.com>
wrote:

This is not in the scope of the core team. This would be a side
project that
some adventurous person would need to champion. There is no reason why
it could
not work. Python has done it and I believe there is a Ruby version as
well.

Robert

Donal K. Fellows

May 28, 2007, 3:39:51 AM5/28/07
Michael Reichenbach wrote:
> I am not a microsoft fan, but I think .net is a good thing.
>
> To make a nice gui with winforms and vb.net is more easy for me then
> using tk. Or with .net it`s easy to use win api functions.

I find Win API functions easy to use through Tcl; I can just pretend
that I'm on UNIX and have things work. :-)

> What about Tcl.net? The tcl syntax is more easy then C# / vb. Tcl.net
> with Microsoft Visual Studio and full oop by standard would be the most
> awesome thing I can imagine as programing language.
>
> Is there a statement about this idea from the tcl developers?

While I suspect that most of the Tcl Maintainers (as the devs are
called) are a bit short of effort to take the lead on such a task, this
should not be taken as discouragement. It should be not that difficult
to implement Tcl on .net; Tcl's already been implemented on Java for
years (as Jacl), and that should provide a good model for how to carry
out the integration.

Of course, if you're wanting to compile Tcl procedures down directly to
the CLR, that'll be a lot harder. But that's really not the first stage
to work on if you're doing it; getting a basic implementation of the
interpreter and a reasonable standard library (i.e. the Tcl commands) is
definitely what to do first.

> What about the tcl core team? Is it still interested, active and alive
> or out of breath?

The TCT provides oversight for the maintainers, but most things are left
up to those people who step up to the plate and do the work. Those who
step up, we cheer on (except when they try something daft, natch!)

[The Maintainers and Core Team are overlapping sets.]

Donal.

Michael Schlenker

May 28, 2007, 7:20:06 AM5/28/07
Donal K. Fellows schrieb:
> Michael Reichenbach wrote:

>> What about Tcl.net? The tcl syntax is more easy then C# / vb. Tcl.net
>> with Microsoft Visual Studio and full oop by standard would be the most
>> awesome thing I can imagine as programing language.
>>
>> Is there a statement about this idea from the tcl developers?
>
> While I suspect that most of the Tcl Maintainers (as the devs are
> called) are a bit short of effort to take the lead on such a task, this
> should not be taken as discouragement. It should be not that difficult
> to implement Tcl on .net; Tcl's already been implemented on Java for
> years (as Jacl), and that should provide a good model for how to carry
> out the integration.

In fact, someone already did this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tclcsharp

Michael

Donal K. Fellows

May 28, 2007, 8:16:22 AM5/28/07
Michael Schlenker wrote:
> In fact, someone already did this:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tclcsharp

In that case, all I've got to say to people is "if you want it, get on
and contribute". :-)

Donal.