Problem using the plugin with Firefox

SimonG

May 23, 2007, 5:46:13 PM5/23/07
My web site (www.whiteowl.co.uk) now has several tclets. Since my
latest update I've found that after running them once or twice and
refreshing or pressing the back button causes Firefox to crash on both
on WinXP and Linux.

I think this is a Firefox 2.0.0.3 bug since I can't reproduce it on IE
7 (WinXP) and FIrefox1.5 (Linux). Once I have time to go through
necessary hoops I'll report it as a bug. In the meantime I'm
interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks.

Gerry Snyder

May 23, 2007, 11:38:22 PM5/23/07

It crashed 2.0.0.3 on my XP system, too.

Your site was fun, though.

Gerry

Dan

May 24, 2007, 4:58:29 AM5/24/07

> It crashed 2.0.0.3 on my XP system, too.

I just tried it with firefox 2.0 on linux x86. Playing
around with the "engraved text demo" from www.tcl.tk
froze firefox for 30 seconds or so, then it came back
to life. System was in a bad state though:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+
COMMAND
3274 root 25 0 357m 72m 7140 R 60.2 9.8 129:34.46
30035 dan 15 0 11316 7044 3640 S 36.9 0.9 1:40.46
3
14195 dan 15 0 147m 48m 20m S 2.3 6.5 11:09.47 firefox-
bin

30035 is a child of 14195. Anyhow, somethings definitely wrong.

Dan.

SimonG

May 24, 2007, 7:04:34 PM5/24/07
Thanks for the feedback. I have logged bug id 381943 with bugzilla for
firefox.

Simon

Larry W. Virden

May 25, 2007, 7:47:57 AM5/25/07
On May 24, 7:04 pm, SimonG <s...@whiteowl.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. I have logged bug id 381943 with bugzilla for
> firefox.

I wonder whether it is a firefox bug or a plugin bug? Has the plugin
been verified with firefox 2.x?

SimonG

May 25, 2007, 11:42:42 AM5/25/07

Hard to say of course, but since I could not reproduce the problem
with version 1.5 or pre3a (linux), or Konqueror 2.4.5 (linux), or IE7
(WinXP) which all use the same plugin I thought it more likely that
the bug is with firefox.

Of course it might be that the plugin is doing something wrong and
ff2.x is exposing that - can't really be determined without more info.
Is there a way of verifying the plugin with ff2.x?

Simon

Jeff Hobbs

May 25, 2007, 3:22:06 PM5/25/07
to SimonG

I have tried to repro an issue on Firefox 2.0.0.3 on XP and cannot. I
did create an updated build that uses Tcl/Tk 8.4.15 as a base. You will
find these at:
http://www.tcl.tk/software/plugin/

I updated Windows and Linux (x86 and x86_64).

Please try these and see if the same problem pops up. There are ways to
log what is going on as well, if that is necessary.

Jeff

SimonG

May 25, 2007, 6:01:23 PM5/25/07

Thanks for doing that Jeff. I've tried very hard to reproduce the
problem with this updated plugin on Linux and failed, so I have marked
the bugzilla report as resolved/fixed. I have not tested it on WinXP
but imagine the result will be the same.

Simon

Dan

May 26, 2007, 3:06:54 AM5/26/07

I still have the same symptoms. With the 8.4.15 plugin and firefox
2.0.0.3
on linux x86 I go to the "engraved text" demo and start dragging
blocks
of text around with the mouse. After 20 seconds or so the Tclet
freezes
up. Firefox itself is still fine, but the Tclet window doesn't respond
to any events (including expose events). CPU state is as in my

How can I get the logging information?

Dan.

Jeff Hobbs

May 28, 2007, 6:19:54 PM5/28/07
to Dan

In the environment before you start firefox, define the following:

export TCL_PLUGIN_DLL_LOGFILE=somefile.txt
export TCL_PLUGIN_LOGFILE=someotherfile.txt

TCL_PLUGIN_DLL_LOGFILE will have C-level debugging information spit out
(plugin core lifecycle stuff). TCL_PLUGIN_LOGFILE will have logging
information for the Tcl-side plugin operation (loading and execution of
Tcl streams).

Jeff