ANN: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0 released

Gerald W. Lester

Nov 17, 2010, 7:56:41 AM11/17/10
Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0 released!

Thanks to all those who contributed code, especially code to
make the WS::Server work inside of servers other than TclHttpd.

Project Site: http://code.google.com/p/tclws

Download from: http://code.google.com/p/tclws/downloads/list

General Side Enhancements
Support of options to control XML generation
See Using Web Service Options documentation

Documentation enhancements
Examples servers for TclHttpd? and WUB
Server Side Enhancements
Works with WUB
Works with AOLServer
Works with Rivet
Works embedded in an event driven application
Generated documentation XHTML compliant

Client Side Enhancements
Addition of XML transformations call outs to facilitate such
things as signing and general XML processing

Experimental/Unsupported¶
Client side REST building tools
see ::WS::Client::CreateService and
::WS::Client::DefineRestMethod

Known Bugs
Issue #18
Does not support the same type name being defined
differently in different name space

Limitations
Supports only "Request-response" Message Exchange Pattern.
Issue #19
Does not support UNIONs directly -- requires code
see ::WS::Utils::MutableTypeDef
Issue #20
Only supports WSDL 1.0 and 1.1

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Harald Oehlmann

Nov 17, 2010, 9:39:25 AM11/17/10
On 17 Nov., 13:56, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@KnG-
Consulting.net> wrote:
>         Works with Rivet

Great that it supports Rivet now.

I just read the corresponding chapter in Wojciech Kocjan's Book "Tcl
8.5 Network Programming" which describes its use very well (with
tclhttp).

Thank you,
Harald

tom.rmadilo

Nov 17, 2010, 3:53:53 PM11/17/10
On Nov 17, 4:56 am, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@KnG-

Consulting.net> wrote:
> Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0 released!

> Documentation enhancements

>         Examples servers for TclHttpd? and WUB
>         Server Side Enhancements
>         Works with WUB
>         Works with AOLServer
>         Works with Rivet
>         Works embedded in an event driven application
>         Generated documentation XHTML compliant

This is an important advancement! Thanks. One question: is it possible
to run on stdin/stdout? This is an useful standard to meet as it
proves protocol independence of the basic code.

tom.rmadilo

Nov 17, 2010, 4:05:32 PM11/17/10

Wait! I'm sorry, but the AOLserver port looks very strange: like you
have never used AOLserver? Maybe consult someone who knows how to
write an AOLserver module? Obvious major misunderstanding here.

Gerald W. Lester

Nov 17, 2010, 4:15:54 PM11/17/10
to tom.rmadilo

Tom, the AOLsever module was contributed. Please correct it. I'll remove
it from the list.

As to stdin/stdout -- I could easily do that, just never thought it would be
useful. The big thing would be how to tell when the XML is complete. Need
to think about that for a second.

Gerald W. Lester

Nov 17, 2010, 4:21:30 PM11/17/10
to tom.rmadilo

Until I hear back from you I'm pulling the AOLserver part of of the front
page of the web site. I'll leave the package in there.

As to stdin/stdout, XML terminated by an EOF sound reasonable?