Secure interpreter...haven't we had that?

1 view

Robert Hicks

Jun 1, 2007, 5:13:34 PM6/1/07

Robert Hicks

Jun 1, 2007, 5:14:33 PM6/1/07
On Jun 1, 5:13 pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-have-finished-securing-python.html

Or maybe he means something different...

Darren New

Jun 1, 2007, 5:42:11 PM6/1/07

No, he means a safe interpreter. AFAIK, Python still only supports one
interpreter per process tho, yes? Makes it difficult to do some of the
good stuff.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
His kernel fu is strong.

Michael Schlenker

Jun 2, 2007, 1:24:58 AM6/2/07
Darren New schrieb:

> Robert Hicks wrote:
>> On Jun 1, 5:13 pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-have-finished-securing-python.html
>>
>> Or maybe he means something different...
>
> No, he means a safe interpreter. AFAIK, Python still only supports one
> interpreter per process tho, yes? Makes it difficult to do some of the
> good stuff.

IIRC they had some safe interpreter like features but threw them out
because extensions didn't play nice with them (introduced security
breaches).

Tcls safe interpreters have the same problem if a C coded extension
exposes unsafe features in its Safe_Init Function. So review the
extensions you allow to be used.

Michael