BWidget

JarekL

Aug 23, 2011, 6:13:43 AM8/23/11
I have a question. Is sense to use BWidget toolkit for new projects?
TK 8.5/8.6 offers new, excelent looking widgets.

Harald Oehlmann

Aug 23, 2011, 7:54:10 AM8/23/11
On 23 Aug., 12:13, JarekL <j.lewandow...@gazeta.pl> wrote:
> I have a question. Is sense to use BWidget toolkit for new projects?
> TK 8.5/8.6 offers new, excelent looking widgets.

As I stated on wiki.tcl.tk/bwidget , I would not recomment using
BWidget for new projects if you target ttk (what you should IMHO).

Regards,
Harald

Kevin Walzer

Aug 23, 2011, 10:05:19 AM8/23/11
On 8/23/11 7:54 AM, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> As I stated on wiki.tcl.tk/bwidget , I would not recomment using
> BWidget for new projects if you target ttk (what you should IMHO).

I'd disagree with this. BWidget is still quite useful in certain
contexts. Its tree widget is more configurable than the ttk treeview,
and the listbox is also more flexible, and yet it is simpler to program
against than tktreectrl. Its notebook widget also offers more
flexibility than the ttk notebook.

I think the best strategy to use with BWidget is as a supplement--a very
powerful one--to the core and ttk widgets. Perhaps you wouldn't want to
do an entire project in BWidget, but I find it indispensible and I am
grateful that Harald continues to maintain it. That's why I've also
contributed some patches to the project and helped test Harald's updates
on the Mac.

In case you're curious how I use it, take a look at this screenshot:

http://www.codebykevin.com/packetstream-running.png

The tree widget on the left, styled to emulate a Mac "source list"
widget, is a BWidget tree. Doesn't look like the standard BWidget tree
in the demos with the Windows-2000-era appearance, but that's the
point--these changes are trivial to make. Doing this in tktreectrl would
give me a migraine, and I'm not aware that the ttk treeview can be
configured to this extent.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Harald Oehlmann

Aug 24, 2011, 11:34:33 AM8/24/11
Thank you, Kevin, for your contribution.

There's life in the old dog yet.*
BWidget is brilliant, no question.

-Harald

* what leo.org translated to the german proverb:
Totgesagte leben länger