Can TK be iSexy?

alex...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2007, 11:30:37 AM4/22/07
Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

Uwe Klein

Apr 22, 2007, 11:36:23 AM4/22/07
alex...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

Wait a year or two. Retro is in the chute.

If you lack humility for this you may
find an easy solution in Tile Tk:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11075
http://tktable.sf.net/tile/

uwe

Kevin Walzer

Apr 22, 2007, 11:48:23 AM4/22/07
With Tile, Tk is bringing sexy back...

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Bryan Oakley

Apr 22, 2007, 5:18:52 PM4/22/07
alex...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

Possible, arguably yes. Easy, arguably no. The tile widget set gives us
a set of widgets that will look right at home on a Mac (and no toolkit
is easier to use than Tk+tile on any platform), but a lot of the
"Apple-esq sexy" is a matter of good design. Good design, it probably
goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), is hard.

I will say it's difficult or nearly impossible to make a Tk GUI look
just like iTunes or iMovie, but I also know it's possible to make GUIs
that look as good as or better than textedit and many 3rd party apps.

suchenwi

Apr 22, 2007, 5:26:49 PM4/22/07
Note that in plain off-the-shelf 8.4 Tk it is easy to customize your
GUI:
- create a canvas
- display an image as background
- add custom items (buttons, menus etc.) as images
- use canvas bindings to implement the desired behavior

I've done this several times at work. It takes some fiddling, but in
general not very much.

Mark Roseman

Apr 22, 2007, 5:34:31 PM4/22/07
Ha, I had a good laugh at this ... while technically true, using it to
emulate an existing fairly sophisticated behavior is not exactly a quick
stroll in the park.

It's like saying Tk is powerful and can do anything - we give you a 1
AND a 0!

Mark

Donal K. Fellows

Apr 22, 2007, 7:52:25 PM4/22/07
Mark Roseman wrote:
> Ha, I had a good laugh at this ... while technically true, using it to
> emulate an existing fairly sophisticated behavior is not exactly a quick
> stroll in the park.
>
> It's like saying Tk is powerful and can do anything - we give you a 1
> AND a 0!

That's not *quite* true! We give people big boxes full of both of them
that they can put together their own way. This is by contrast to giving
people just one of each. ;-)

Donal.

Uwe Klein

Apr 23, 2007, 3:42:10 AM4/23/07

The contrasting gift here would be

a giftbox full of ONEs,
in matching sets of light blue and pink.

> Donal.

uwe

Mats

Apr 23, 2007, 9:39:00 AM4/23/07
On 22 Apr, 17:30, "alex....@gmail.com" <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

http://thecoccinella.org

/Mats

Larry W. Virden

Apr 23, 2007, 12:40:58 PM4/23/07
On Apr 22, 11:30 am, "alex....@gmail.com" <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

I wonder if the original poster ever actually saw sixties mainframe
era interfaces. Because, back then, _if_ you saw the one of the
handful of programs which were not hardcopy oriented, what you saw was
plain text displayed on a dumb terminal. No windows, no scroll bars,
etc.

So anything that Tk has EVER been able to do is sexier than the
sixties mainframe era.
Is the _real_ question really "is there a way that, without having to
code anything special, I can get my program to magically start looking
like any of the sexy GUI applications being sold by Apple"?

Kevin Walzer

Apr 23, 2007, 2:15:26 PM4/23/07
Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Is the _real_ question really "is there a way that, without having to
> code anything special, I can get my program to magically start looking
> like any of the sexy GUI applications being sold by Apple"?

Considering that I use Tk and target the Mac platform only, I'm
interested in this question.

The answer is, yes, at least to a degree, but it's largely a matter of
application design.

Out of the box, Tk looks strange on Apple. It takes some Mac-specific
techniques to get things like the application menu, help menu, keyboard
shortcuts, tooltips, and so on, right. Even Tile, which adds a lot of
the Aqua goodness that standard Tk lacks, is imperfect. It uses
old-school (10.2) tabs in the notebook widget, for instance, and doesn't
get scrollbars right.

So making a Mac-style application (on the Mac) is a matter of getting
little details right, and mixing and matching widget sets. In my own
apps, I use a combination of Tk, Tile, Tablelist, and BWidgets to get
something that's reasonably Maclike. See
http://www.codebykevin.com/packetstream-running.png for an example. Not
perfect, but this application (and others like it that I've developed)
does sell. I'm slowly building a shareware/commercial software business,
using Tk as my GUI toolkit, on OS X, where users are more picky about
their applications' conformance to platform guidelines than anywhere else.

If the OP is asking a different kind of question--how to achieve the
look of specific Mac applications, such as iTunes/iPhoto, regardless of
platform--then the answer, again, is yes, within limits. Some effects
that Apple uses in its applications, such as gradient backgrounds, are
not commonly done in Tk, but libraries/packages to support such effects
do exist. Careful selection of design elements such as icons and colors
can go pretty far in imitating that look and feel. Tk is *extremely*
configurable, so if you get a competent UI designer and a developer
together, I don't see why Tk couldn't be used to create an iApp.
(Personally, the look of these applications isn't to my taste, but
that's a matter of taste.)

Chris McDonald

Apr 23, 2007, 3:30:43 PM4/23/07
"Larry W. Virden" <lvi...@gmail.com> writes:

>On Apr 22, 11:30 am, "alex....@gmail.com" <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
>> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

>I wonder if the original poster ever actually saw sixties mainframe
>era interfaces. Because, back then, _if_ you saw the one of the
>handful of programs which were not hardcopy oriented, what you saw was
>plain text displayed on a dumb terminal. No windows, no scroll bars,
>etc.

Of course, Ivan Sutherland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Sutherland)
would strongly disagree.

--
Chris.

bgeer

Apr 23, 2007, 6:47:56 PM4/23/07
"Larry W. Virden" <lvi...@gmail.com> writes:

>On Apr 22, 11:30 am, "alex....@gmail.com" <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible and easy to make Apple-esq sexy rather than looking
>> like a throw back to the sixties mainframe era?

>I wonder if the original poster ever actually saw sixties mainframe
>era interfaces. Because, back then, _if_ you saw the one of the
>handful of programs which were not hardcopy oriented, what you saw was
>plain text displayed on a dumb terminal. No windows, no scroll bars,
>etc.

Card punch?????

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
<> bg...@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

Steve Landers

Apr 24, 2007, 3:52:32 AM4/24/07
to Mark Roseman
Mark Roseman wrote:
> Ha, I had a good laugh at this ... while technically true, using it to
> emulate an existing fairly sophisticated behavior is not exactly a quick
> stroll in the park.
>
> It's like saying Tk is powerful and can do anything - we give you a 1
> AND a 0!

Now now Mark ... if we take that approach we'd say that all web apps
suck. And we know that isn't the case (I know of at least two that don't
suck, and there might be others)

;-)

Steve

Larry W. Virden

Apr 24, 2007, 7:33:30 AM4/24/07
On Apr 23, 3:30 pm, Chris McDonald <c...@csse.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Of course, Ivan Sutherland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Sutherland)
> would strongly disagree.

Perhaps he would - all I can say is that the mainframes that _I_ was
around in the 60s didn't have much of an interface. Lots of cables
hanging out all over places that had to be modified... or
_patched_ ... to get the program they represented modified.

Shoot, Tk provides a better interface than the desktops of the 70s and
80s, let alone the mainframes of the 60s.

alex...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2007, 9:55:53 AM4/24/07
Larry's totally right on both counts. I've never seen a sixties era
mainframe; and yes. Can I get my application to look good without
actually changing too much code?

The whole theming thing is interesting; but until the OS and TK agree
on how widgets looks, getting a TK application to look good on, say,
Vista, OS-X or Beryl is a way away.

What I want to make is a touch screen kiosk application which looks
good and do it quickly. I doesn't have to blend with the OS. What
would be nice would be a totally graphical interface; no hard edges. I
think the canvas solution is a great idea. You could maximum the main
window and remove it's title bar and enforcea global grab. Then add a
nice whie canvas and start sticking some no relief buttons to it. Add
a nice roll over effect to the buttons and some nice graphics of (in
my case) horses to it.

Bob your unkle. A sexy rocking TK app.

Bruce Hartweg

Apr 24, 2007, 10:43:24 AM4/24/07
For a kiosk full screen app - check into an overrideredirect window
to take over the whole screen

Bruce

Christian Gollwitzer

Apr 25, 2007, 4:15:42 AM4/25/07
alex...@gmail.com wrote:

> Larry's totally right on both counts. I've never seen a sixties era
> mainframe; and yes. Can I get my application to look good without
> actually changing too much code?

Are you aware of tile and ttk in Tk8.5? Is this still not enough
eye-candy for your needs?

Christian

Larry W. Virden

Apr 26, 2007, 7:20:21 AM4/26/07
On Apr 25, 4:15 am, Christian Gollwitzer <Christian.Gollwit...@uni-
bayreuth.de> wrote:

Notice that Alex mentioned Vista and Beryl. Does Ttk work, out of the
box, fitting into those two OSes?

Joe English

Apr 26, 2007, 9:47:49 PM4/26/07
Larry W. Virden wrote:

>Notice that Alex mentioned Vista and Beryl. Does Ttk work, out of the
>box, fitting into those two OSes?

Yes, with caveats:

Tile releases up to and including 0.7.8 have a minor bug,
fixed in the just-released Tk 8.5a6 and in Tile CVS.
With the fix, apps will get Vista-style controls; without
it, they'll fall back to Windows 2K-style controls.

Beryl/Compiz isn't an OS, it's a collection of enhancements to the
X server and desktop environment. Ttk works just fine in that environment,
but doesn't take any special advantage of it either. Out-of-the-box,
Ttk on X11 still looks like 2002-era Gtk+, as per design.

--Joe English

Donal K. Fellows

Apr 27, 2007, 9:19:45 AM4/27/07
Joe English wrote:
> Beryl/Compiz isn't an OS, it's a collection of enhancements to the
> X server and desktop environment. Ttk works just fine in that environment,
> but doesn't take any special advantage of it either. Out-of-the-box,
> Ttk on X11 still looks like 2002-era Gtk+, as per design.

We should note that if someone contributes a new style that takes
advantage of Beryl/Compiz features, we'll be very thankful. :-)

Donal.

Georgios Petasis

Apr 27, 2007, 11:04:09 AM4/27/07
to Donal K. Fellows
O/H Donal K. Fellows έγραψε:

What exactly are these "Beryl/Compiz" features? When I hear "compiz" the
only thing that comes into my mind is some screenshots I have seen in
magazines, about a window manager (?) that shows the virtual desktops on
a cube that somebody can turn around (in order to select a desktop).
Is it something more? Are there any screenshots available?

(My linux is a fedora core 6. I haven't event searched if these things
are available there...)

George

Pat Thoyts

Apr 30, 2007, 8:57:05 AM4/30/07
Georgios Petasis <pet...@iit.demokritos.gr> writes:

>O/H Donal K. Fellows 苇纬衔毕蔚:

So far the only feature I have found that becomes available under a
composing window manager is transparency using wm attributes -alpha
starts working. This is present for Windows and Aqua and and with a
suitable window manager becomes available for X.

Otherwise these window managers are all about wobbly windows and stuff
and not really applicable. More important is to get a Gtk+ native
theme sorted that uses Gtk+ apis to draw tile elements.

--
Pat Thoyts http://www.patthoyts.tk/
To reply, rot13 the return address or read the X-Address header.