new relaxed aplpe ios app rules. so are tcl apps are ok now ? (as long as they don't download code)

mh

Sep 9, 2010, 1:51:14 PM9/9/10

new relaxed ios app rules. so are tcl apps are ok now ? (as long as
they don't download code)
thoughts ?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/09statement.html

scottdware

Sep 9, 2010, 2:06:59 PM9/9/10

That sure would be nice! Hopefully that's the case.

Paul

Sep 9, 2010, 3:01:34 PM9/9/10

Does anyone here know what's happening with Tcl on android?

It's not available any more at:

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/downloads/list

Alexandre Ferrieux

Sep 9, 2010, 3:53:10 PM9/9/10

Interesting, esp. the mentioned paragraph about downloaded scripts:

3.3.2 An Application may not download or install executable code.
Interpreted code may only
be used in an Application if all scripts, code and interpreters are
packaged in the Application and
not downloaded. The only exception to the foregoing is scripts and
code downloaded and run by
Apple's built-in WebKit framework.

This prompts two questions:

(1) Looks like we can have starpacks, then. But installing 5 Tcl apps
now means installing 5 times the bulk of the interpreter. Would Apple
agree to distribute through the appstore thin "script-only apps",
simply saying that they depend on prior installation of a generic Tcl
interpreter ?

(2) In Tcl, code==data==code ;-) So say my IOS-Tcl app does
[::http::geturl] to retrieve some data, and swallows it with [eval]
(simply because that's the simplest and most natural way of parsing
stuff from Tcl). Would you say that it is "downloading a script" ?

-Alex

Now imagine I have a starpack on the iPhone

Gerald W. Lester

Sep 9, 2010, 5:11:47 PM9/9/10

Not sure, but the starkit for the android is available at
http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/android-arm/

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Donal K. Fellows

Sep 9, 2010, 6:40:50 PM9/9/10
On 9 Sep, 20:53, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  (1) Looks like we can have starpacks, then. But installing 5 Tcl apps
> now means installing 5 times the bulk of the interpreter. Would Apple
> agree to distribute through the appstore thin "script-only apps",
> simply saying that they depend on prior installation of a generic Tcl
> interpreter ?

Is it really all that big a deal? Compare the size of a particular
application packaged as a starpack with the equivalent package done
with any other language.

>  (2) In Tcl, code==data==code ;-) So say my IOS-Tcl app does
> [::http::geturl] to retrieve some data, and swallows it with [eval]
> (simply because that's the simplest and most natural way of parsing
> stuff from Tcl). Would you say that it is "downloading a script" ?

If the data is treated as data (i.e., it's a picture or a map layout
or ...) then I'd say it's within the key part of the rules. In
particular, they want people to purchase the app once and then to have
it, instead of having to download further parts of it later on. (I can
understand that.) Send the data as something like YAML or JSON and
then you can say "but of course it's data!" Or send it all in one app
with no further downloading at all; that's got to not be downloading a
script!

Don't act as a language-lawyer, think instead about fulfilling the
spirit of the rules. A meditation on the nature of code and data just
confuses. (I was going to say that it is a "duality" but that's really
missing the point; information can have both code-nature and data-
nature, just like an electron can have both matter and wave natures,
and any true description of it is incomplete without knowing both
natures. Not that I'd try to argue that with Apple.)

Donal.

Gerald W. Lester

Sep 9, 2010, 9:24:25 PM9/9/10
Gerald W. Lester wrote:
> Paul wrote:

>>> That sure would be nice! Hopefully that's the case.
>>
>> Does anyone here know what's happening with Tcl on android?
>>
>> It's not available any more at:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/downloads/list
>>

> Not sure, but the starkit for the android is available at
> http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/android-arm/

Re: Issue 424 in android-scripting: Tcl has disappeared from
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/downloads/list

The author of the Tcl interpreter for SL4A hasn't updated it to work with
the new versions. Until then, if you want to use Tcl, you'll need to install
an older version of SL4A (one from when it was still ASE).

MSEdit

Sep 10, 2010, 5:39:10 AM9/10/10
The Evolane main page http://www.evolane.com/ mentions an Iphone
version of etcl. Maybe this could be adapted for the new rules to
generate starkits.

I believe I saw Eric on google groups this week.

Could he let us know his feelings on the new rules and if our hopes
are founded.

He also mentions etcp for Android but the link seems broken.

Martyn

Gerald W. Lester

Sep 10, 2010, 8:57:40 AM9/10/10

Martyn,

I gave the Android link in my previous post.

MSEdit

Sep 10, 2010, 9:04:49 AM9/10/10
On Sep 10, 2:57 pm, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@KnG-
Consulting.net> wrote:
> MSEdit wrote:
> > The Evolane main pagehttp://www.evolane.com/mentions an Iphone

> > version of etcl.  Maybe this could be adapted for the new rules to
> > generate starkits.
>
> > I believe I saw Eric on google groups this week.
>
> > Could he let us know his feelings on the new rules and if our hopes
> > are founded.
>
> > He also mentions etcp for Android but the link seems broken.
>
> > Martyn
>
> Martyn,
>
> I gave the Android link in my previous post.
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC                        |
> | Email: Gerald.Les...@kng-consulting.net                                |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------+

I could not find any TCL on your page link.

ETCL seems to be in suspension for now anyway on all platforms.

Updates were regular before.

Martyn

Gerald W. Lester

Sep 10, 2010, 9:40:25 AM9/10/10
At http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/android-arm/ I see the following:

agcc-ndk 6647 bytes Jul 11, 2010 17:28:10
AndroidScriptingEnvironment.apk 145238 bytes Jan 15, 2010 02:05:20
ase-sh-tclkit.png 23484 bytes Jan 15, 2010 01:12:18
ase-tcl-interps.png 10867 bytes Jan 15, 2010 01:12:18
ASE-tcl-support.patch 5586 bytes Jan 15, 2010 02:37:59
ase-tclsh.png 15567 bytes Jan 15, 2010 01:12:18
Makefile 1181 bytes Jul 11, 2010 17:50:58
push.sh 727 bytes Jul 11, 2010 17:51:09
README.html 693 bytes Jul 1, 2010 23:31:46
tclkit-cli-8.6b1.1-android-arm.gz 891856 bytes Jan 15, 2010 00:57:42
tclkit-cli-8.6b1.1-android-arm.gz.asc 303 bytes Jan 15, 2010 00:59:20
tclkit-cli-8.6b1.2-android-arm-1.5.gz 926456 bytes Jul 9, 2010 21:03:48
tclkit-cli-8.6b1.2-android-arm.gz 916736 bytes Jul 1, 2010 23:27:48
tclkit-cli-8.6b1.2-android-arm.gz.asc 307 bytes Jul 1, 2010 23:28:52
tclkit-test-steveb.gz 934781 bytes Jul 13, 2010 00:56:44
tclsh_extras_r1.zip 274 bytes Jan 19, 2010 23:23:08
tclsh_r1.zip 900334 bytes Jan 19, 2010 23:23:08
tclsh_scripts_r1.zip 1080 bytes Jan 19, 2010 23:23:08

Note -- this is note eTcl but rather the starkit for Android which is what
was listed on the Google page.

| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Pat Thoyts

Sep 10, 2010, 6:10:25 PM9/10/10
"Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald...@KnG-Consulting.net> writes:

>Paul wrote:

>>> That sure would be nice! Hopefully that's the case.
>>
>> Does anyone here know what's happening with Tcl on android?
>>
>> It's not available any more at:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/downloads/list
>>

>Not sure, but the starkit for the android is available at
>http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/android-arm/

Always good to know someone actually used or wants it. I'll try and get
on with updating this for their new packaging system. The change from
ASE to SL4A was fairly disruptive.
--
Pat Thoyts http://www.patthoyts.tk/
PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97 10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD

MSEdit

Sep 20, 2010, 7:56:10 AM9/20/10

Just found this on the appstore http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/commodore-64/id305504539?mt=8
they have reactivated the BASIC programming, no save/load but it can
run BASIC.

Martyn

mse...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2011, 6:24:11 AM10/27/11
There is now this available for LUA so TCL should be acceptable !

http://twolivesleft.com/Codify/

I presume that it is possible to download/upload code using the clipboard.

Martyn

Kevin Walzer

Oct 28, 2011, 6:29:32 PM10/28/11
As far as I know, no one has ported Tcl to run on iOS.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

mse...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2011, 4:21:16 AM11/2/11
As I said before the evolane main page states

"Evolane activity focuses on providing extensive support and customization for our products (e.g. eTcl engine for Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian and iPhone, and embedded Linux systems). Evolane also shares its expertise in dynamic programming, cross-compilation, and portable rapid development."

So a port has been made but never released.
As I thought cocoa touch was a subset of cocoa and the mac port of TCL is already - I presume - interfaced with objective C alot of the hard work has already been done. Obviously TK is not the same problem.
It is a shame that Daniel Steffen is no longer available to help out.

Does anyone have a contact with Eric Hassold still to ask if he is willing to share the work he has done ?

Martyn

Kevin Walzer

Nov 2, 2011, 7:43:03 AM11/2/11
On 11/2/11 4:21 AM, mse...@gmail.com wrote:
> So a port has been made but never released.

Evolane hasn't updated eTcl for a couple of years, at least not
publicly. It's hard to say where things stand with it.

> As I thought cocoa touch was a subset of cocoa and the mac port of TCL is already - I presume - interfaced with objective C alot of the hard work has already been done. Obviously TK is not the same problem.

The Mac port of Tcl has only a few Mac-specific bits--it's mostly the
Unix port as, under the hood, OS X is just another Unix, and so the
C/POSIX API is sufficient.

iOS shares a lot of the same underpinnings, but they are not synonymous.

As far as Tk goes, Cocoa Touch is a a wholly different API than desktop
Cocoa (the frameworks are, respectively, UIKit and Appkit).

> It is a shame that Daniel Steffen is no longer available to help out.

Don't underestimate the amount of work it would take to port Tk to Cocoa
Touch. Daniel did the Tk/Cocoa port under contract to Apple (he's now a
full-time employee there); it took him nearly a year of full-time work
to finish it. Done as a weekend-warrior OSS project, a port of Tk to
Cocoa Touch would probably take longer--and that assumes that Daniel or
someone as skilled as he is doing the work, building on the work already
done.

--Kevin

mike.h...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2011, 5:08:20 PM11/11/11
i ported tcl to ios, and as described previously as an amusement and it's pretty uneventful. i just tweaked the MacOS flavor of the existing configure machinery and got something in place w/o much trouble. i was going start on making an "ik" but got side tracked on another project for a while. i plan on going back to it one of these days but i didn't really want to start until i can dedicate some concerted / sustained effort to it.

Gerald W. Lester

Nov 11, 2011, 6:42:36 PM11/11/11
On 11/11/11 4:08 PM, mike.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> i ported tcl to ios, and as described previously as an amusement and it's pretty uneventful. i just tweaked the MacOS flavor of the existing configure machinery and got something in place w/o much trouble. i was going start on making an "ik" but got side tracked on another project for a while. i plan on going back to it one of these days but i didn't really want to start until i can dedicate some concerted / sustained effort to it.

Could you submit what you had to do as an enhancement request to the bug
system and maybe someone with commit privs could start a IOS branch (and the
same for anyone who has done Android work).