ANNOUNCE: JTcl 2.0.0 alpha1

Tom Poindexter

Nov 17, 2010, 10:32:23 AM11/17/10

The JTcl team is happy to announce the JTcl 2.0.0 alpha1 release.

Get it now at:

http://kenai.com/projects/jtcl/downloads

Or find out more information at the JTcl website:

http://jtcl.kenai.com

JTcl - Tcl Language Interpreter in Java

http://jtcl.kenai.com

JTcl is an implementation of Tcl (Tool Command Language) written in Java.
JTcl implements a large extent of Tcl 8.4 syntax and commands, limited
only by API restrictions of the Java Virtual Machine. JTcl is based on
the Jacl interpreter (http://tcljava.sf.net)

INSTALLING JTCL

JTcl requires a Java JVM 1.5 or higher (Java 1.6 is recommended). You may
have to install Java if you don't already have it installed.

JTcl is distributed as a ZIP archive. Download the latest jtcl-{version}.zip
file from the JTcl website, and unzip into a directory of your choice.
Unix/Linux/Mac OSX shell script (`jtcl') and Windows batch file (`jtcl.bat')
are included.

SOURCE CODE

JTcl uses the Mercurial distributed source code control system. Install
Mercurial using your OS distribution package manager or get executables
from the Mercurial site: http://mercurial.selenic.com/

Browse JTcl source code: http://kenai.com/projects/jtcl/sources
Clone the JTcl repository: hg clone https://hg.kenai.com/hg/jtcl~jtcl-main

DOCUMENTATION

Please refer to the JTcl web site.

MAILING LIST and BUG REPORTING

Please subscribe and use the JTcl mailing list for questions and to
share information. The JTcl Bug tracker should be used to
report bugs.

Bug reporting: http://kenai.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=jtcl

**The JTcl Team**
--
Tom Poindexter
tpoi...@nyx.net

Googie

Nov 17, 2010, 4:47:11 PM11/17/10
What's the difference between JTcl and Jacl? Is JTcl simply updated
Jacl?

Regards,
Googie

Bruce Johnson

Nov 17, 2010, 5:12:36 PM11/17/10
Some info can be found here:
http://jtcl.kenai.com/faq.html

Yes, it's basically Jacl updated, but I'd hesitate to say "simply".
There are quite a few changes to bring it up to near equivalence with
Tcl 8.4. Also, the code has been refactored to arrange classes into
appropriate Java packages (channel, cmd, process ...) and the overall
build system has been made more Java friendly (for example, Ant or
Maven as opposed to a Makefile).
Bruce

Googie

Nov 17, 2010, 6:04:21 PM11/17/10
Thanks for explanation. I didn't want 'simply' to sound like I'm
underrating it, I was just wondering if there are other differences. I
really do appreciate the work you've done.

Regards,
Googie

Gerry Snyder

Nov 17, 2010, 7:54:50 PM11/17/10
On 11/17/2010 8:32 AM, Tom Poindexter wrote:
> The JTcl team is happy to announce the JTcl 2.0.0 alpha1 release.

Good news indeed!

I have downloaded it and stuffed it into Aejaks. I look forward to
testing my stuff with it.

Thank you for an early Christmas present.

Gerry

Tom Poindexter

Nov 17, 2010, 10:16:32 PM11/17/10
In article <vP_Eo.391731$pX3....@en-nntp-11.dc1.easynews.com>,

Gerry Snyder <mesmer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have downloaded it and stuffed it into Aejaks. I look forward to
>testing my stuff with it.

Note that Aejaks has a few patches applies to Jacl that haven't
yet been applied to JTcl. There is one patch in particular that
dealt with some issues I ran into with the Jacl event loop and some
thread issues (perhaps related to running in a servlet enging.) So be
warned about substituting JTcl just yet. Yes, it's on my list
to switch Aejaks over to using JTcl.

-Tom
--
Tom Poindexter
tpoi...@nyx.net

Gerry Snyder

Nov 18, 2010, 9:36:17 AM11/18/10
On 11/17/2010 8:16 PM, Tom Poindexter wrote:

> Note that Aejaks has a few patches applies to Jacl that haven't
> yet been applied to JTcl.

Tom,

Thanks for the warning.

I won't be too shocked if I run into problems.

Gerry