Please recommend DBMS for upcoming project

ultranewb

Feb 17, 2011, 6:48:36 AM2/17/11
first disclaimer: new to tcl.
second disclaimer: while i am a very experienced programmer, i am
neither a web design guru nor a dbms guru.

i understand that "best is relative blah blah" and that there is no
definitive answer to the question, i just need some general guidance
is all.

at any rate, upcoming project is a "web project" with a database
backend. essentially it will present clients with a list of questions
which will change from week to week and month to month, and clients
will log in to record answers to these questions (and may log in to
update or change answers to questions). i am envisioning storing
questions, answers, and client account information in the db.

concerns which ARE NOT primary concerns in the choosing of the dbms:

performance (within reason, of course)
"object-orientedness "
"enterprise blah blah"
odbc-compliance
security

concerns which ARE primary concerns in the choosing of the dbms:

free (i don't know the difference between "as in beer" and "as in
whatever", but i don't need to modify the dbms or crack it open or
resell it blah blah, i just need it to be "free to download, free to
use for private or governmental usage" etc).

easily available

ease of integration with tcl, and possibly aolserver and/or "web
frameworks" of some sort (if i decide to go that route).

ease of use with both windows and freebsd (i'll probably start
development on windows as it's just more convenient for me, then move
the production system over to freebsd).

easily set up, configured, and used.

a "front end" either included with the dbms, or easily available,
which allows for editing of tables (entry of data).

other relevant info:

the traffic that i'm expecting for this website/database would be in
the thousands of hits a day, not millions, and from thousands of
clients, not millions. i'm no database or web guru, but given my
limited experience, these requirements don't sound particularly "heavy
duty."

data entered into the cells of the database will be text that will
encompass paragraphs at a minimum, possibly pages. this may be
laughably doable by pretty much all dbms's, or might not be doable by
any of them (as i've said, i'm not an expert in this particular
domain). but if it's doable, then its a requirement.

nice to have's:

light footprint, ease of download

thanks.

rene

Feb 17, 2011, 7:47:28 AM2/17/11
see sqlite.org

rene

Gerald W. Lester

Feb 17, 2011, 8:21:44 AM2/17/11
No brainer -- sqllite

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Aric Bills

Feb 17, 2011, 10:40:14 AM2/17/11
On 17 fév, 04:48, ultranewb <pineapple.l...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> a "front end" either included with the dbms, or easily available,
> which allows for editing of tables (entry of data).

For the front end, see SQLiteStudio: http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt

Sp...@controlq.com

Feb 17, 2011, 12:10:24 PM2/17/11

- Surprised you hadn't googled it already. SQLite.org

As an interesting aside, the SQLITE test harness is extensive, and written
in TCL. Its auther, D.R. Hipp has released it to the public domain
(completely free license), it is quick, ACID compliant and actively
developed. Oh, and the Tcl binding is dirt simple to use ...

Have fun.
Rob Sciuk

Tcl Bliss

Feb 17, 2011, 6:11:27 PM2/17/11
I agree with others, the combination of these two are my favorite:
http://sqlite.org and http://sqlitestudio.one.pl

jemptymethod

Feb 17, 2011, 9:50:44 PM2/17/11

I second, third, fourth and fifth everybody thus far! Tcl and SQLite
go together like peanut butter and jelly ;) To the extent indeed,
that even if you weren't using the Tcl bindings, you can set the
output from the SQLite command line as a Tcl list, for easy
programmatic consumption. Consider the following, gleaned from
http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html:

Set output mode where MODE is one of:
csv Comma-separated values
column Left-aligned columns. (See .width)
html HTML <table> code
insert SQL insert statements for TABLE
line One value per line
list Values delimited by .separator
string
tabs Tab-separated values
tcl TCL list elements

tomk

Feb 18, 2011, 11:54:40 AM2/18/11
I also agree with others, and would add that that is a SQLite Manager
Add-on for FireFox that can be useful.
tomk

ultranewb

Feb 18, 2011, 11:56:42 AM2/18/11
Wow, I guess it's unanimous. Thanks!

Neil

Feb 18, 2011, 4:30:27 PM2/18/11
While I am going to second (eighth?) everybody else, I will also
address your point of easy for a beginner:
I just built an app for the first time with sqlite in TCL (I've used
tcl, but not sqlite, before).

Full app, two days.

I'm pretty impressed with how well sqlite squished into my tcl code,
how easy it is to use with basic SQL knowledge, etc. In tcl-style, it
just does what it should.