Is there a port of Tcl/Tk to Android?

tomas

Apr 4, 2011, 11:18:03 AM4/4/11

Well, subject says it all. Riding the search engines just gives me a Tcl
port (by Pat Thotys). Any hints on Tk?

Thanks
-- tomás

Gerald W. Lester

Apr 4, 2011, 1:32:26 PM4/4/11
to tomas

Tomas,

The Tcl one is "dated".

No Tk one -- might be an interesting GSoC project.

Also may not be the correct way to do it -- might be better to present
things as HTML pages.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

tomas

Apr 4, 2011, 1:57:52 PM4/4/11
"Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald...@KnG-Consulting.net> writes:

> The Tcl one is "dated".

I see.

> No Tk one -- might be an interesting GSoC project.

That's a pity :-(

> Also may not be the correct way to do it -- might be better to present
> things as HTML pages.

You are most probably right on that. Somehow I can't be happy watching
this move of all applications into HTML pages.

Thanks a bunch for your insights!

Regards
-- tomás

Pat Thoyts

Apr 4, 2011, 8:17:01 PM4/4/11
"Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald...@KnG-Consulting.net> writes:

>On 4/4/11 10:18 AM, tomas wrote:
>>
>> Well, subject says it all. Riding the search engines just gives me a Tcl
>> port (by Pat Thotys). Any hints on Tk?
>>
>> Thanks
>> -- tomás
>
>Tomas,
>
>The Tcl one is "dated".
>
>No Tk one -- might be an interesting GSoC project.
>
>Also may not be the correct way to do it -- might be better to present
>things as HTML pages.

No. Android doesn't run any normal kind of windowing system. There is
nominally SDL under there someplace but its not something you get much
access too. The SL4A project provides for letting the script engines
pass messages to the java runtime to get things done using json. Also,
hecl provides a Java Tcl-alike that can be used to do Tk like things on
this platform via the Java classes.

The best bet would be to get Jacl working. Or whatever Tcl in Java is
called these days.
--
Pat Thoyts http://www.patthoyts.tk/
PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97 10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD

tomas

Apr 5, 2011, 3:45:11 AM4/5/11
Pat Thoyts <patt...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

[...]

> No. Android doesn't run any normal kind of windowing system. There is
> nominally SDL under there someplace but its not something you get much
> access too.

Yes, I think that kills it (one of the big pluses here was the
incredibly nice integration of Tcl with Tk: IMO very few toolkits "get
it" that well). No Tk -- no fun :-(

I think I'll give Hecl a whirl.

(Btw: sorry, I misspelt your name).

> The best bet would be to get Jacl working. Or whatever Tcl in Java is
> called these days.

How difficult would be to provide a Tk backend for that? Significant, I
guess :-(

Thanks and regards
-- tomás

Uwe Klein

Apr 5, 2011, 4:34:07 AM4/5/11
tomas wrote ( did I botch the attribution?) :

> Pat Thoyts <patt...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>No. Android doesn't run any normal kind of windowing system. There is
>>nominally SDL under there someplace but its not something you get much
>>access too.
>
>>The best bet would be to get Jacl working. Or whatever Tcl in Java is
>>called these days.
>

> How difficult would be to provide a Tk backend for that? Significant, I
> guess :-(

Someone ( and sometime ago ) wrote a basic Tk wrapper for SDL ?
I planned to use that on the GPX2 console toy. Now rests in project heaven :-(

uwe

tomas

Apr 5, 2011, 6:55:09 AM4/5/11
Uwe Klein <u...@klein-habertwedt.de> writes:

> tomas wrote ( did I botch the attribution?) :

(they seem correct from here)

>> Pat Thoyts <patt...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>>>No. Android doesn't run any normal kind of windowing system. There is

>>>nominally SDL under there someplace [...]

>> How difficult would be to provide a Tk backend for that? Significant, I
>> guess :-(
>
> Someone ( and sometime ago ) wrote a basic Tk wrapper for SDL ?
> I planned to use that on the GPX2 console toy. Now rests in project
> heaven :-(

Ah. Copious Free Time. The Mythical Unicorn ;-)

Regards
- tomás

Gerald W. Lester

Apr 5, 2011, 9:10:28 AM4/5/11
On 4/5/11 3:34 AM, Uwe Klein wrote:
> tomas wrote ( did I botch the attribution?) :
>>
>> [...]

>> How difficult would be to provide a Tk backend for that? Significant, I
>> guess :-(
>
> Someone ( and sometime ago ) wrote a basic Tk wrapper for SDL ?
> I planned to use that on the GPX2 console toy. Now rests in project heaven :-(

Hence my comment about it would make a good GSoC project.

Uwe Klein

Apr 5, 2011, 9:36:56 AM4/5/11
Gerald W. Lester wrote:
> On 4/5/11 3:34 AM, Uwe Klein wrote:
>> Someone ( and sometime ago ) wrote a basic Tk wrapper for SDL ?
>> I planned to use that on the GPX2 console toy. Now rests in project
>> heaven :-(
>

> Hence my comment about it would make a good GSoC project.

http://members.shaw.ca/tnbaker/SDLTk/

The question might be if onion wrapping software
is the right(tm) thing to do?
( black spots and pradigm inversion loom on the horizon )

uwe

tomas

Apr 6, 2011, 2:39:43 AM4/6/11
Uwe Klein <u...@klein-habertwedt.de> writes:

> Gerald W. Lester wrote:

> http://members.shaw.ca/tnbaker/SDLTk/

Wow.

> The question might be if onion wrapping software
> is the right(tm) thing to do?
> ( black spots and pradigm inversion loom on the horizon )

Yes, you are right. I'm nevertheless impressed.

Regards
-- tomás

Googie

Apr 6, 2011, 10:33:39 AM4/6/11
Pat Thoyts wrote:

> No. Android doesn't run any normal kind of windowing system. There is
> nominally SDL under there someplace but its not something you get much
> access too.

See http://twl.l33tlabs.org/
It's widget set for Java rendered by OpenGL.

I works on OpenGL ES (which is standard in Android). Although it would be a
huge effort to implement similar framework from scratch in Tcl (even with
use of TkOGL).

Just pointing out possibility other than the SDL.

--
Pozdrawiam! (Regards!)
Googie

alt...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2013, 3:51:06 PM12/5/13
A quick note for those who arrive here from a search:

A native Tcl/Tk 8.4 port to Android AndroWish is now working. Bundled with many packages.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/39022

DrS

Dec 5, 2013, 4:02:54 PM12/5/13
For those of us who haven't done anything on Androids, how do you
install it on the device? Is it on the app store?

DrS

tomás zerolo

Dec 6, 2013, 1:42:27 PM12/6/13
alt...@gmail.com writes:

> A quick note for those who arrive here from a search:
>
> A native Tcl/Tk 8.4 port to Android AndroWish is now working. Bundled with many packages.

Wohoo!

Thanks. That'd be a reason to steal/borrow/buy an Android device :-)

Thanks
-- tomás

ger...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2013, 2:29:20 PM12/6/13
Hello,

Here is a recipe to install AndroWish-debug.apk via Windows with ADB shell.

- Download AndroWish-debug.apk at :
http://www.ch-werner.de/sdltk/AndroWish/

- Download Android SDK (ADT Bundle) at :
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

- Install the ADT bundle in :
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20131030

- Plug your Android device in your PC (USB cable)

- Open a CMD terminal on Windows (a DOS window)

- Type :
cd C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20131030\sdk\platform-tools

- Copy AndroWish-debug.apk in this directory

- At the CMD prompt type :
adb devices

- And type :
adb install AndroWish-debug.apk

- If the installation works, you wil see "Success"

- To close the ADB shell type :
adb kill-server
exit

GS

Christian Gollwitzer

Dec 6, 2013, 2:49:48 PM12/6/13
Am 06.12.13 20:29, schrieb ger...@gmail.com:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a recipe to install AndroWish-debug.apk via Windows with ADB shell.

Is this really necessary? It should be sufficient to enable sideloading
on the phone (Settings->Security->unkown sources), download the .apk and
open it from a file manager directly on the phone. No need to employ USB
debugging mode.

Christian

Rani Ahmad

Dec 7, 2013, 10:30:19 PM12/7/13
Look! I can offer a free upload of Androwish to my developer console account to make it listed on Google Play store. I really want to do that because I want to allow the user to install it normally as he reads my Tcl/Tk how to book or watches the video tutorials.

Rani Ahmad

Dec 7, 2013, 10:32:47 PM12/7/13
On Monday, April 4, 2011 6:18:03 PM UTC+3, tomas wrote:
Oh i forgot! I'd love to have an Intel based AndroWish . I have Google TV and it's cool to let people see what is Tcl/Tk.

Gerry Snyder

Dec 10, 2013, 3:46:25 PM12/10/13
There is a new version, as of 7 Dec, that includes tls, treectrl, and
tkcon. It is getting to be pretty awesome.

If you don't want (or is that wish) to get to the download site via the
wiki, the URL is: http://www.ch-werner.de/sdltk/AndroWish/

Gerry