Dolphin Smalltalk 6.1 Beta

Andy Bower

Jan 5, 2008, 9:52:08 AM1/5/08
Folks,

We've decided to start the ball rolling with a beta release for Dolphin
6.1.

Unlike our previous beta programmes this one will be public rather than
closed, although you will have to have a valid Dolphin Professional
license to take part (i.e. Dolphin Community Edition keys will not yet
unlock the installer).

The setup program can be downloaded from:

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.1/DolphinSetupX61B1.exe

The release notes for beta 1 can be found at:

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.1/DolphinX61ReleaseNotes.html

As you'll see, this release offers quite a few bug fixes to 6.02 and a
number of enhancements. The latter are things like: better cosmetic
appearence under Vista, the ability to save out Idea Space templates and
an SUnit Plugin for the Class and System browsers.

Actually, although we've called this a beta, in some ways it's more like
an alpha. There are a number of features we'd still like to add to the
IDE, particularly in the area of the STS integration and these should
appear in the next beta release.

Please use the Dolphin Newsgroup (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin) for any
discussion about the beta.

Best regards

Andy Bower
Object Arts Ltd

Joseph Frippiat

Jan 5, 2008, 12:55:26 PM1/5/08
Thank you very much!

I just installed it on Windows XP home. When I opened the Class Diagram
(I like it very much :-) ) I got a warning in the System Transcript
about a missing file: msmask32.ocx . I downloaded it from the Internet
and no more warning.

The Dolphin is moving ...

I wish you all the best for 2008,

Joseph

IanB

Jan 5, 2008, 2:00:32 PM1/5/08
Thanks Andy.

All installed without any problem and, with one minor exception, all
my "working image" packages installed without any flagged errors at
all. I'll try redeploying my apps next - that's usually a good test.

The only problem I can see is that, due to the recent change in US
regulations, the icon for the Idea Space should really depict an
energy saving bulb :-)

--
Ian

The from address is valid

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 5, 2008, 6:28:51 PM1/5/08
Fantastic news!
Thank you very much for all your efforts.

I have installed the Beta 1 on Windows XP (32Bit) and Windows Vista
(64Bit) with the following first findings:

1. Under XP I have a problem in the Class Browser and the System
Browser: The text ("Instance") of the first radio button in the Methods
window is broken into two lines because the next radio button ("Class")
is too close to it.
I have chosen a bigger font size in Window's System Settings.

2. When I select a method in a Class Browser's or a System Browser's
Methods window, the leading icons of the highlighted row are hidden.
This happens only under Windows XP, not under Vista. As far as I
remember this problem already existed with Dolphin 6.02.

3. The Method Spies package from Solutions Software does not load
anymore. SSWDebugger class>>initialize does not compile because
"SkipMethods" is unknown.

Later this day I will start some tests with ReStore from Solutions Software.

Regards
Andreas

Bill Schwab

Jan 5, 2008, 7:17:36 PM1/5/08
Ian,

> The only problem I can see is that, due to the recent change in US
> regulations, the icon for the Idea Space should really depict an
> energy saving bulb :-)

That would give new meaning to the panic button - it would have
something to do with cleanup after dropping the bulb ;)

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bi...@anest4.anest.ufl.edu

Joseph Frippiat

Jan 6, 2008, 6:10:38 AM1/6/08
The icons for the classes StsEdition and StsToBeMergedChangeSet are missing.

Joseph

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 6, 2008, 6:42:20 AM1/6/08
Andreas Wacknitz schrieb:

> Later this day I will start some tests with ReStore from Solutions
> Software.

ReStore seems to work fine.

Regards
Andreas

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 6, 2008, 6:49:04 AM1/6/08
Andreas Wacknitz schrieb:

> 3. The Method Spies package from Solutions Software does not load
> anymore. SSWDebugger class>>initialize does not compile because
> "SkipMethods" is unknown.

I still don't know what happens here:

SSWDebugger class>>initialize
super initialize.

SkipMethods at: SSWMethodSpy put:
(IdentityDictionary new at: #handle put: 1; yourself).
(SkipMethods at: Process) at: #spy put: 1

gives an Error ("This methhod did not compile") when loading the
Package. The debugger says: Error: undeclared 'SkipMethods'.
SkipMethods used to be a LookupTable in D6 and now it seems to be gone.

Any comments?

Regards
Andreas

Andy Bower

Jan 6, 2008, 11:43:21 AM1/6/08
Andreas,

Some time ago, John Aspinall of Solutions Software gave us permission to
include the Method Spies/Breakpoints package as part of Dolphin 6.1. So
one of the tasks in the weeks to come is to get this into the next beta.
I'd have to take a look at why the package is refusing to load, which I
haven't the time to do right now.

BTW, both the Methods Spies and the Source Tracking System will be
available in the free DCE version of Dolphin 6.1. The presence of STS in
all versions should go some way towards promoting the STS export format
as a global exchange mechanism for all Dolphin users. Indeed, we're
hoping that David Gorisek (author of STS) will find time to finish a WAN
version of STS which can then be used as a central respository for all
shared code.

Best regards

Andy Bower

Fernando Rodriguez

Jan 6, 2008, 12:02:49 PM1/6/08
Hello Andy,

> Folks,
>
> We've decided to start the ball rolling with a beta release for
> Dolphin 6.1.

Wasn't development on Dolphin abandoned? Sorry, but I've been away for some
time, did the situation change in the midtime?

Thanks,
Fernando

James Foster

Jan 6, 2008, 12:16:08 PM1/6/08
On 10 August 2007, Andy wrote, "We will try to issue the 6.1 maintenance
release that we have been using internally (wrapping all outstanding bug
fixes) before the end of this year."
(http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2007Aug10.html). Other than being a
few days late (on a prediction made months ago!), this does not seem to
indicate any change in the situation.

I'm very appreciative of the continued contributions of Andy and Blair to
the Smalltalk community.

James Foster

"Fernando Rodriguez" <fernandoR...@easyjob.net> wrote in message

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 6, 2008, 1:30:51 PM1/6/08
Andy Bower schrieb:

> Andreas,
>
>>> 3. The Method Spies package from Solutions Software does not load
>>> anymore. SSWDebugger class>>initialize does not compile because
>>> "SkipMethods" is unknown.
>>>
>> I still don't know what happens here:
>>
>> SSWDebugger class>>initialize
>> super initialize.
>>
>> SkipMethods at: SSWMethodSpy put:
>> (IdentityDictionary new at: #handle put: 1; yourself).
>> (SkipMethods at: Process) at: #spy put: 1
>>
>> gives an Error ("This methhod did not compile") when loading the
>> Package. The debugger says: Error: undeclared 'SkipMethods'.
>> SkipMethods used to be a LookupTable in D6 and now it seems to be gone.
>>
>> Any comments?
>
> Some time ago, John Aspinall of Solutions Software gave us permission to
> include the Method Spies/Breakpoints package as part of Dolphin 6.1. So
> one of the tasks in the weeks to come is to get this into the next beta.
> I'd have to take a look at why the package is refusing to load, which I
> haven't the time to do right now.
These are good news. Method Spies are a valuable IDE enhancement.

Best regards
Andreas

Marco Leberfing

Jan 6, 2008, 1:32:23 PM1/6/08
i get an "Image version mismatch" and a crash on opening a Class
Browser.

Cheers
Marco

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 6, 2008, 1:44:42 PM1/6/08
Marco Leberfing schrieb:

> Hi,
> i get an "Image version mismatch" and a crash on opening a Class
> Browser.
This happens if you either open a 6.0 image with Dolphin 6.1 or vice versa.

Regards
Andreas

IanB

Jan 6, 2008, 4:54:05 PM1/6/08
Minor walkback.

Open a new SystemBrowser/ClassBrowser/ExecutableBrowser but don't
select anything.

Click on the toolbar icon to open another new SystemBrowser.

Walksback when it tries to find the owning package of nil.

I can't see any neat way of fixing it so it looks like it needs an
explicit test for nil in ClassBrowserAbstract>>browseSystem

Andy Bower

Jan 7, 2008, 4:00:49 AM1/7/08
Marco,

> i get an "Image version mismatch" and a crash on opening a Class
> Browser.

I don't understand this. "Image version mismatch" is an error that can
be generated when starting Dolphin using the wrong VM for the image file
being used. Yet you say the error occurs when opening a class browser
(so the image must already be started).

Can you let us know the exact sequence of events you go through to see
this error so we can try and reproduce it.

Best regards

Andy Bower

Andy Bower

Jan 7, 2008, 4:21:41 AM1/7/08
Folks,

> Please use the Dolphin Newsgroup (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin) for any
> discussion about the beta.

Thanks for the bug reports/encouragement so far. Just to let you know
that, in order to keep newsgroup traffic down, we won't acknowledge bug
reports here unless we need more information to track the problems down
but rest assured that we will be recording all the issues as they crop up.

Best regards

Andy Bower

Marco Leberfing

Jan 7, 2008, 5:39:17 AM1/7/08

Andy,

i installed 6.1 on my machine, which has 6.0 installed. I started my
old image and got the "Image version mismatch".

In that image i get the crash when opening a new Class Browser.

Cheers
Marco

Esteban A. Maringolo

Jan 7, 2008, 7:29:08 AM1/7/08
Hi Andy,

Andy Bower escribió:

> Folks,
>
> We've decided to start the ball rolling with a beta release for Dolphin
> 6.1.

This is great news!

Thank you for your effort!

Best regards,

--
Esteban

Marco Leberfing

Jan 7, 2008, 7:57:10 AM1/7/08
I packaged my project, uninstalled 6.0, started a new image in 6.1,
installed my package and it worked fine for some hours.
Now i can´t open my image again "An unhandled win32 exception occurred
in Dolphin.exe [5544]" :-(

Marco

Martin Rubi

Jan 7, 2008, 11:22:17 AM1/7/08
I'm having a similar problem as Marco's.
I had 6.0 installed in a machine with Win XP sp2. I installed 6.1, then
tried to open a 6.0 image and got "Image version mismatch". Then I
uninstalled 6.1 and reinstall 6.0, but still can't open an image by double
clicking on it. I've tried deleting the img associaton in every form I can
imagine, but still can't get it.
After the "Image version mismatch" message box there is another one
suggesting that I regsvr32 DolphinVM???.dll, but the registration fails (the
actual file is DolphinVM006.dll).
Dropping the 6.0 image file on the 6.0 Dolphin.exe works just fine.

I uninstalled the 6.1 because the Class Browser flickered a lot with any
selection change. It was running on a really really slow machine, but 6.0 is
ok in the same machine.

best regards
martin

Jeff M.

Jan 7, 2008, 3:35:02 PM1/7/08

Andy,

First, thanks! Second, I have to ask, I wasn't expecting any more
Dolphin updates from you or Blair. While I doubt this marks a return
to OA, does this mean that we can expect future updates to Dolphin (as
rare as they may come)? Or is it just that Dolphin 7.0 will never come
out?

Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I figured Dolphin was
pretty much "dead" in that it may never work with future versions of
Windows, etc. Seeing a post like this on the forums almost brought a
tear of joy to my eye. :)

Jeff M.

Steve Messamore

Jan 7, 2008, 4:36:55 PM1/7/08
yes, Indeed - there was much excitement about this in our organization.
May we hope?

Steve M.

Joseph Frippiat

Jan 7, 2008, 6:38:34 PM1/7/08
Steve Messamore a écrit :
> May we hope?

I don't know if this is significant but now there are two dolphins on
the splash screen instead of one...

ChanHong Kim

Jan 7, 2008, 8:11:51 PM1/7/08
Thanks to Object Arts.

I'm Korean who use multi byte character set(MBCS), so this X6.1
version solve the problem about Hangeul breaking in source editor.
Maybe new version of Scintilla does that.

I hope to release more stable and more powerful tools for Windows OS.

Agin, thanks to OA.

Andy Bower

Jan 8, 2008, 7:00:37 AM1/8/08
Marco,

> i installed 6.1 on my machine, which has 6.0 installed. I started my
> old image and got the "Image version mismatch".
>
> In that image i get the crash when opening a new Class Browser.

Ok, I've verified that this is a genuine problem and will try and
produce a fix for it shortly. In the meantime you can continue to use
old Dolphin images by dragging them and dropping them over the original
(6.02) Dolphin.exe.

Please do NOT click OK when you see the "Image Version Mismatch" alert.
I'm surprised it loads at all but if it does, you may corrupt your old
image.

Best regards

Andy Bower

Andy Bower

Jan 8, 2008, 7:02:01 AM1/8/08
Marco,

I'm surprised by this. D6.1 is very stable (here anyway). Could you have
corrupted the image in some way?

Best regards

Andy Bower

Andy Bower

Jan 8, 2008, 7:32:36 AM1/8/08
Steve, Jeff,

>> First, thanks! Second, I have to ask, I wasn't expecting any more
>> Dolphin updates from you or Blair. While I doubt this marks a return
>> to OA, does this mean that we can expect future updates to Dolphin (as
>> rare as they may come)? Or is it just that Dolphin 7.0 will never come
>> out?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I figured Dolphin was
>> pretty much "dead" in that it may never work with future versions of
>> Windows, etc. Seeing a post like this on the forums almost brought a
>> tear of joy to my eye. :)
>>
>> Jeff M.
> yes, Indeed - there was much excitement about this in our organization.
> May we hope?
>
> Steve M.

Yes you can expect maintenance releases for Dolphin. As you know Dolphin
is currently an excellent tool for building Win32 based applications and
one wouldn't expect that support for Win32 is going away anytime soon in
the Windows OS. So, it shouldn't be too difficult for us to keep Dolphin
running under future versions of Windows providing the Win32 base
remains supported. Indeed, we have to do this for applications that we
have running in house.

The announcement back in August was intended to convey the fact that,
given the poor commercial performance of Dolphin, we just do not have
the resources to commit to a major development programme; the sort that
would be required to port Dolphin to .NET.

So, I guess nothing has changed but perhaps I didn't explain the
situation clearly enough back in August.

Best regards

Andy Bower

Esteban A. Maringolo

Jan 8, 2008, 10:08:00 AM1/8/08
Joseph Frippiat escribió:

Dual core support perhaps?
That would be great :-D

Best regards,

--
Esteban

Martin Rubi

Jan 8, 2008, 2:23:31 PM1/8/08
Ok, ignore the comment about the flickering. I does flicker, but just like
6.0, and it's only noticeable in a very slow machine and when the shell has
a small size

best regards
martin

Andreas Wacknitz

Jan 8, 2008, 7:07:59 PM1/8/08
Andreas Wacknitz schrieb:

> Andreas Wacknitz schrieb:
>
>> 3. The Method Spies package from Solutions Software does not load
>> anymore. SSWDebugger class>>initialize does not compile because
>> "SkipMethods" is unknown.
>>
> I still don't know what happens here:
>
> SSWDebugger class>>initialize
> super initialize.
>
> SkipMethods at: SSWMethodSpy put:
> (IdentityDictionary new at: #handle put: 1; yourself).
> (SkipMethods at: Process) at: #spy put: 1

OK, I have found the cause of this: SkipMethods has been renamed to
SkipTable. Now MethodSpies seem to work but have some minor graphical
glitches (the red boxes are crippled) probably because of the newer
Scintilla plugin.

Regards
Andreas

Marco Leberfing

Jan 9, 2008, 4:33:40 AM1/9/08

Maybe i´ve corrupeted the image by clicken "ok" on the "Version
mismatch" message.

Bernhard Kohlhaas

Jan 10, 2008, 7:49:14 PM1/10/08
Andy Bower wrote:
> Yes you can expect maintenance releases for Dolphin.

[...]

> The announcement back in August was intended to convey the fact that,
> given the poor commercial performance of Dolphin, we just do not have
> the resources to commit to a major development programme; the sort that
> would be required to port Dolphin to .NET.
>
> So, I guess nothing has changed but perhaps I didn't explain the
> situation clearly enough back in August.

Hi Andy,

I guess I also misunderstood you in August. I took your original remarks
as "We'll give you a 6.1 release to wrap things up, but we won't do any
more maintenance beyond that.".

I'm happy to hear that I got it wrong.

Bernhard

Udo Schneider

Jan 16, 2008, 5:34:44 AM1/16/08
Andy,

while adding the base packages to STS I noticed that the image version
(SessinoManager current imageVersion) seems to be wrong. A 6.0.2 image
returns '2005.6.2.17' whereas a 6.1 image returns '2005.6.2.8'.

So when in STS this could lead to the conclusion that the 6.0.2 packages
are newer.

CU,

Udo

Andy Bower

Jan 16, 2008, 6:07:55 AM1/16/08
Udo,

That sounds like trouble ... I'll check it out.

Best regards

Andy

itsm...@hotmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 3:32:17 PM2/6/08
On Jan 6, 10:43 am, Andy Bower <bo...@SnipThisObject-arts.com> wrote:

> The presence ofSTSin
> all versions should go some way towards promoting theSTSexport format
> as a global exchange mechanism for all Dolphin users.

Have you considered STS interoperating with Monticello (Squeak's
source/package/version control)? There are a ton of Squeak packages
and users. Many of the packages are not particularly Squeak-specific,
and many of the users use Windows. If one could easily directly load,
edit, and save from Monticello repositories it would open up an
interesting avenue to both software and users.

- Sophie

David Gorisek

Feb 6, 2008, 5:04:47 PM2/6/08

The latest version of STS already does that. You can import Monticello
packages directly into STS and then load them into Dolphin image as
native Dolphin package.

STS also allows incomplete loading of packages (everything that
compiles). So, afterwards you can compare the loaded code with what's
left and see what code could not be compiled. You can then fix the
remaining code by manually change and compile methods or class definitions.

The new version will be included with the new Dolphin release (or is
already).

Best regards,

David