swazoo in comercial apps

1 view

rush

Nov 26, 2002, 8:50:25 AM11/26/02

I get headache from legalize, is there some kind soul which could tell me if
Swazoo could be used in commercial app (and distributed as part of it) ?

Second, can Swazoo be hooked with php? (via cgi perhaps).

Thanks,

rush

Steve Waring

Nov 28, 2002, 3:24:04 AM11/28/02
Hi rush,

> I get headache from legalize

Me too.

> is there some kind soul which could tell me if
> Swazoo could be used in commercial app (and
> distributed as part of it) ?

The license is LGPL [1]. My understanding of LGPL is that you can use and
distributed Swazoo with a commercial app. That is only my understanding; I
am not a lawyer, and I find the GNU licenses almost impossible to read.

Legalities aside, I know of a couple of uses of Dolphin/Swazoo in commercial
applications, and I think it would be great to see more.

> Second, can Swazoo be hooked with php? (via cgi perhaps).

Not sure on this one, but I would be interested in hearing what you come up
with.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

Thanks,
Steve

==========
Steve Waring
Email: swa...@ozemail.com.au
About: http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/harbor/steve.html
Journal: http://www.stevewaring.net/blog/home/index.html

rush

Nov 28, 2002, 3:50:04 AM11/28/02

"Steve Waring" <swa...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi rush,

> > Second, can Swazoo be hooked with php? (via cgi perhaps).
>
> Not sure on this one, but I would be interested in hearing what you come
up
> with.

I will have to look more, but at first view it seems that Swazoo is not
intended to be used like that. In other words I did not find outgoing cgi
interface from Swazoo that php could be hooked to. This makes sense since
this is not what was Swazoo created for in the first place. How much work is
to implement this interface properly I will have to look into (and maybe it
is even there, but I did not see it).

Also maybe your fastCgi could be of help since it implements incomming
fastCgi, so I could learn something from it.

Thanks,

rush

Steve Waring

Nov 28, 2002, 3:23:14 PM11/28/02
Hi rush,

> intended to be used like that. In other words I did not
> find outgoing cgi interface from Swazoo that php could
> be hooked to.

Right, there isnt a cgi interface for the Dolphin port, and I have not heard
about one for the other dialects. I dont think there would be too much work
to do as there is a fairly direct mapping between http headers and cgi
parameters.

> Also maybe your fastCgi could be of help since it
> implements incomming fastCgi, so I could learn
> something from it.

Yes, the FastCGI server passes cgi parameters through to the Dolphin app.
The page:

http://www.dolphinharbor.org/ns3/test

is served by Apache, which creates a fastcgi connection to a Dolphin app,
that contains a handler that basically echoes the information that Apache
sends it.

In the Spray download, I have a package for FastCGI that takes the cgi
parameters, converts them into an HTTP request, and feeds the request into a
Swazoo resource. However it sounds like you are after the opposite
conversion.