drag Squeak Shell To Dolphin's IdeaSpace

Eno

Apr 8, 2008, 3:58:31 AM4/8/08
Hi, folks:
I'm constructing my Dolphin workspace/project environment using
IdeaSpace.
Feel good in embedding/dragging any Dolphin's shells inside the
included Ideaspace shells.
But time by time, I asked myself if it'd be possible that any
non-Dolphin shells/processes can alse be dragged inside it, too.
This feelings frequent appeared while I'm using Squeak/Dolphin in the
same time, without choices, I must jump between two different worlds to
and fro, How tedious it is?
There are many good stand-alone non-activeX programms/utilities that
I liked and used much, Can they be embedded inside Dolphin? or wrapped
inside an activeX?

Best regards.

Tk Kuo

Udo Schneider

Apr 12, 2008, 5:20:06 PM4/12/08
Eno,

> But time by time, I asked myself if it'd be possible that any
> non-Dolphin shells/processes can alse be dragged inside it, too.
> This feelings frequent appeared while I'm using Squeak/Dolphin in the
> same time, without choices, I must jump between two different worlds to
> and fro, How tedious it is?
> There are many good stand-alone non-activeX programms/utilities that

check out
http://readthesourceluke.blogspot.com/2008/04/external-tools-in-dolphin-idea-spaces.html
. Maybe it helps.

CU,

Udo

Eno

Apr 14, 2008, 8:52:20 AM4/14/08
Udo Schneider wrote:
> check out
> http://readthesourceluke.blogspot.com/2008/04/external-tools-in-dolphin-idea-spaces.html
> .. Maybe it helps.
>

> CU,
>
> Udo

Thanks a lot, it seemed great and promising.
But while loading your goodies, I noticed I missed several prerequisite
packages, i.e. CU Zipfile, DH Shell core, which the latter I found in
dolphinharbor, but I could not find CU Zipfile.

As a result ( I think), some methods are missing or cann't be compiled,
such as PostedActionWindow>>presenter, which I don't know which packages
it belongs to or should be loaded or updated again via Sts version system.

Best regards.

tgkuo

Apr 14, 2008, 11:54:12 AM4/14/08
Hi, Udo

> Udo Schneider wrote:
> > check out
> >http://readthesourceluke.blogspot.com/2008/04/external-tools-in-dolph...
> > .. Maybe it helps.

I made it run now. But I found some disappointment that not all .exe
can be run inside the ExternalProcessPresenter,
due to the errors shown at ExernalProcessVIew>>basicGetProcessView
because of some ExternalProcess>>topLevelWindows not obtainable. these
included perhaps the Squeak.exe (V9), paint.exe etc. as by my tests on
Windows XP professional.

The Squeak image opened it's own windows instead after the errors.

Maybe some commandLine text arrangement is neede ( Squeak.exe -g:
\someimage.image ) or further hack on their topLevelWindows, or it is
just the fault on my system environment.

Best Regards.

Udo Schneider

Apr 14, 2008, 2:52:41 PM4/14/08
Eno wrote:
> Thanks a lot, it seemed great and promising.
> But while loading your goodies, I noticed I missed several prerequisite
> packages, i.e. CU Zipfile, DH Shell core, which the latter I found in
> dolphinharbor, but I could not find CU Zipfile.
Both packages are not needed anymore in the new version. CU* were Chris
Uppals Goodies which were hosted at Metagnostic. However although they
were great it seems that Metagnostic is down. I can send you a copy of
it if you like.

> As a result ( I think), some methods are missing or cann't be compiled,
> such as PostedActionWindow>>presenter, which I don't know which packages
> it belongs to or should be loaded or updated again via Sts version system.

Just download the newest packages here:
http://udos.s3.amazonaws.com/UdoSchneider_Goodies_200804142047.zip

CU,

Udo

Udo Schneider

Apr 14, 2008, 2:55:34 PM4/14/08
tgkuo wrote:
> I made it run now. But I found some disappointment that not all .exe
> can be run inside the ExternalProcessPresenter,
> due to the errors shown at ExernalProcessVIew>>basicGetProcessView
> because of some ExternalProcess>>topLevelWindows not obtainable. these
> included perhaps the Squeak.exe (V9), paint.exe etc. as by my tests on
> Windows XP professional.
MSPaint seems to be special thing. Spying a bit on it it seems that it
waits for user input way before it opens any window.

I fixed (hacked) it by /waiting/ for top level windows for some seconds
even after WaitForInputIdle() returns.

Try the new version available here:
http://udos.s3.amazonaws.com/UdoSchneider_Goodies_200804142047.zip

CU,

Udo

Udo Schneider

Apr 14, 2008, 2:59:35 PM4/14/08
Eno wrote:
> There are many good stand-alone non-activeX programms/utilities that
> I liked and used much, Can they be embedded inside Dolphin? or wrapped
> inside an activeX?
Maybe interested in the other way around? Embedding Dolphin into 3rd
Party Apps?
This deals with integrating Dolphin with PSPad:
http://readthesourceluke.blogspot.com/2008/04/dolphin-smalltak-in-pspad.html

CU,

Udo

Eno

Apr 15, 2008, 3:21:30 AM4/15/08
Hi, Udo
Udo Schneider wrote:
> Both packages are not needed anymore in the new version. CU* were Chris
> Uppals Goodies which were hosted at Metagnostic. However although they
> were great it seems that Metagnostic is down. I can send you a copy of
> it if you like.
I'd like to have a copy of these files, since IDE extensions.pac depends
upon CU Zipfile.

>> As a result ( I think), some methods are missing or cann't be compiled,
>> such as PostedActionWindow>>presenter, which I don't know which packages
>> it belongs to or should be loaded or updated again via Sts version system.
> Just download the newest packages here:
> http://udos.s3.amazonaws.com/UdoSchneider_Goodies_200804142047.zip

I installed the prior edition and it runs well, the Squeak condition
was solved
by supplying the image file in parameter field, which I missed. As to
your new edition, there are problems with shell opening in my hybrid
image ( old ones installed without removing), stack overflow and
missing method: PostedActionWindow>>presenter occurred ( which also
appeared at old edition, but disappeared after installing all packages?
) , I need some time to inspect why.

Yes, some .exe opening need some time, some wait for topLevelWindows
available maybe needed.

Thanks again for your time for sharing your innovative works.

Mercy

Udo Schneider

Apr 15, 2008, 10:59:55 AM4/15/08
Hi Eno,

> I'd like to have a copy of these files, since IDE extensions.pac depends
> upon CU Zipfile.

I uploaded the file here: http://udos.s3.amazonaws.com/Metagnostic.zip

Please note, that this package might is "tainted". It does not contain
the original Packages. Some packages (e.g. Ghoul) are the ones I patched
to make them DST6 compatible.

>>> As a result ( I think), some methods are missing or cann't be compiled,
>>> such as PostedActionWindow>>presenter, which I don't know which packages

I don't even have a PostedActionWindows class in my system. I tried the
packages in clean Community and Professinal Images w/o any problem.
Did you find out, where PostedActionWindow belongs to?

> I installed the prior edition and it runs well, the Squeak condition
> was solved
> by supplying the image file in parameter field, which I missed. As to

Sorry - I think I missunderstood you initial question. As you already
pointed out you need to supply the image path as a parameter to Squeak.
Otherwise the first window Squeak will open is a file selector asking
for the path.

> your new edition, there are problems with shell opening in my hybrid
> image ( old ones installed without removing), stack overflow and

How did you install the new package version without removing the old one
first??

> missing method: PostedActionWindow>>presenter occurred ( which also
> appeared at old edition, but disappeared after installing all packages?

As I said. I have no clue where PostedActionWindow comes from. It's
neither in the base image nor part of my packages.

> ) , I need some time to inspect why.

Any progress?

> Yes, some .exe opening need some time, some wait for topLevelWindows
> available maybe needed.

Your paint.exe example was a good one. But not even Paint can be used
withing Dolphin - although with massive redraw problems.

> Thanks again for your time for sharing your innovative works.

Thanks for the flowers :-)
It's a way to contribute something back to OA and the Dolphin Community
for the hard work.

CU,

Udo