Google Groups không còn hỗ trợ đăng ký sử dụng hoặc đăng nội dung mới trên Usenet. Bạn vẫn có thể xem nội dung cũ.

SICP

79 lượt xem
Chuyển tới thư đầu tiên chưa đọc

serp...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
08:22:12 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
Hi guys,

Sorry for a potentially offtopic question but I don't know a better
place to ask.
I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
variant? It would be great to find out.
Thank you.

Joel J. Adamson

chưa đọc,
09:21:44 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
serp...@gmail.com writes:

> I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
> spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
> variant? It would be great to find out.

Everyone calls it SICP in writing and "sick-pea" in speaking. Why are
you asking --- have you heard differently?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Aaron Hsu

chưa đọc,
13:22:06 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
serp...@gmail.com writes:

> I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
> spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
> variant? It would be great to find out.

Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?

--
Aaron Hsu <arc...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arc...@jabber.org
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to

serp...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
15:02:14 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
Aaron,

Sorry for being ambiguous.
I mean pronunciation.
English is not my first language, so please forgive me if I sometimes
use wrong words to express myself.

Serge

> Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?
>
> --

> Aaron Hsu <arcf...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arcf...@jabber.org

serp...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
15:06:52 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
Joel,

Thank you very much.
Actually I've never heard anyone saying SICP. I only see it written
everywhere.
English is rarely used here.
But I am a little tired to refer to the book by its full title
"Structure and Interpretation od Computer Programs" every time. That
is why I ask.
Well, "sick-pea" is great! :)

Serge

Aaron Hsu

chưa đọc,
18:14:06 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
serp...@gmail.com writes:

>> Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?
>

> I mean pronunciation.

If that is the case, I find ``'sik-pee'' to be the most natural unless
it would sound weird in context, and then I usually say the whole thing out.

--
Aaron Hsu <arc...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arc...@jabber.org

Jeffrey Mark Siskind

chưa đọc,
18:33:31 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến

Actually, I've never actually heard people say sick-pea though I've
read that other people claim
to say and hear sick-pea. What I have heard lots of people say is
"Abelson & Sussman". The
idiom of refering to books (and papers) by the authors' names (for
papers you add the year)
is fairly common.
"Kernighan & Ritchie", "Cormen, Leiserson, & Rivest", "Hennesey &
Patterson",
"Lakoff & Johnson", "Russell & Norvig", "Genesereth & Nilsson",
"Winston & Horn",
"Friedman, Wand, & Haynes", "Clocksin & Mellish", "Sterling &
Shapiro",
"Manning & Schutze". ...

Brian Harvey

chưa đọc,
20:47:14 4 thg 3, 20084/3/08
đến
Jeffrey Mark Siskind <qo...@purdue.edu> writes:
>Actually, I've never actually heard people say sick-pea though I've
>read that other people claim
>to say and hear sick-pea. What I have heard lots of people say is
>"Abelson & Sussman".

I generally say "Abelson and Sussman" to outsiders (although whenever I do
I feel guilty toward Julie S.) because "sick pee" seems a little, umm,
indecorous, but I sometimes say "sick pee" among ourselves.

> The
>idiom of refering to books (and papers) by the authors' names (for
>papers you add the year)
>is fairly common.

>"Kernighan & Ritchie", "Cormen, Leiserson, & Rivest" [...]

Some of your other examples are convincing, but I never hear anyone say
those two -- it's always "K & R" and "CLR." Maybe we should all just
start saying "A & S"?

Peter Rogers

chưa đọc,
06:24:16 5 thg 3, 20085/3/08
đến

'-._ ___.....___
`.__ ,-' ,-.`-, HAVE YOU READ
`''-------' ( p ) `._ YOUR ABELSON AND
`-' \ SUSSMAN TODAY ?
\
. \
`'-----''

Matt Birkholz

chưa đọc,
21:17:28 8 thg 3, 20088/3/08
đến
The New Hacker Dictionary calls it "The Wizard Book".
0 tin nhắn mới