SICP

serp...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2008, 8:22:12 AM3/4/08
Hi guys,

Sorry for a potentially offtopic question but I don't know a better
place to ask.
I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
variant? It would be great to find out.
Thank you.

Joel J. Adamson

Mar 4, 2008, 9:21:44 AM3/4/08
serp...@gmail.com writes:

> I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
> spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
> variant? It would be great to find out.

Everyone calls it SICP in writing and "sick-pea" in speaking. Why are
you asking --- have you heard differently?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Aaron Hsu

Mar 4, 2008, 1:22:06 PM3/4/08
serp...@gmail.com writes:

> I wonder what is the correct spelling for SICP abbreviation. Is it
> spelled like [es ai si: pi:] or just [sikp]? Or maybe some other
> variant? It would be great to find out.

Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?

--
Aaron Hsu <arc...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arc...@jabber.org
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to

serp...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2008, 3:02:14 PM3/4/08
Aaron,

Sorry for being ambiguous.
I mean pronunciation.
English is not my first language, so please forgive me if I sometimes
use wrong words to express myself.

Serge

> Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?
>
> --

> Aaron Hsu <arcf...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arcf...@jabber.org

serp...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2008, 3:06:52 PM3/4/08
Joel,

Thank you very much.
Actually I've never heard anyone saying SICP. I only see it written
everywhere.
English is rarely used here.
But I am a little tired to refer to the book by its full title
"Structure and Interpretation od Computer Programs" every time. That
is why I ask.
Well, "sick-pea" is great! :)

Serge

Aaron Hsu

Mar 4, 2008, 6:14:06 PM3/4/08
serp...@gmail.com writes:

>> Do you mean the pronunciation or the spelling?
>

> I mean pronunciation.

If that is the case, I find ``'sik-pee'' to be the most natural unless
it would sound weird in context, and then I usually say the whole thing out.

--
Aaron Hsu <arc...@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arc...@jabber.org

Jeffrey Mark Siskind

Mar 4, 2008, 6:33:31 PM3/4/08

Actually, I've never actually heard people say sick-pea though I've
read that other people claim
to say and hear sick-pea. What I have heard lots of people say is
"Abelson & Sussman". The
idiom of refering to books (and papers) by the authors' names (for
papers you add the year)
is fairly common.
"Kernighan & Ritchie", "Cormen, Leiserson, & Rivest", "Hennesey &
Patterson",
"Lakoff & Johnson", "Russell & Norvig", "Genesereth & Nilsson",
"Winston & Horn",
"Friedman, Wand, & Haynes", "Clocksin & Mellish", "Sterling &
Shapiro",
"Manning & Schutze". ...

Brian Harvey

Mar 4, 2008, 8:47:14 PM3/4/08
Jeffrey Mark Siskind <qo...@purdue.edu> writes:
>Actually, I've never actually heard people say sick-pea though I've
>read that other people claim
>to say and hear sick-pea. What I have heard lots of people say is
>"Abelson & Sussman".

I generally say "Abelson and Sussman" to outsiders (although whenever I do
I feel guilty toward Julie S.) because "sick pee" seems a little, umm,
indecorous, but I sometimes say "sick pee" among ourselves.

> The
>idiom of refering to books (and papers) by the authors' names (for
>papers you add the year)
>is fairly common.

>"Kernighan & Ritchie", "Cormen, Leiserson, & Rivest" [...]

Some of your other examples are convincing, but I never hear anyone say
those two -- it's always "K & R" and "CLR." Maybe we should all just
start saying "A & S"?

Peter Rogers

Mar 5, 2008, 6:24:16 AM3/5/08

'-._ ___.....___
`.__ ,-' ,-.`-, HAVE YOU READ
`''-------' ( p ) `._ YOUR ABELSON AND
`-' \ SUSSMAN TODAY ?
\
. \
`'-----''

Matt Birkholz

Mar 8, 2008, 9:17:28 PM3/8/08
The New Hacker Dictionary calls it "The Wizard Book".