Advanced Interactive Shell

soli...@gmx.net

Mar 21, 2008, 5:03:39 AM3/21/08
Hello Group,
I'm looking for a somewhat advanced scheme shell (something like
ipython for python, but, well for scheme).

Features that I'd appreciate:

* gnu readline line editing
* visual parentheses matching (like the vim standard-plugin MatchParen
does)
* <tab> syntax completion

One solution that provides line editing is to pipe through ledit, but
then you do not have parentheses matching. DrScheme comes with
parentheses matching, but without line editing (and you can't use it
without X). I did not find any syntax completion, but this has lowest
priority (for me;).

Is there anything around?

Thx;)

Nils M Holm

Mar 21, 2008, 6:09:20 AM3/21/08
soli...@gmx.net wrote:
> * gnu readline line editing
> * visual parentheses matching (like the vim standard-plugin MatchParen
> does)
> * <tab> syntax completion

I have once written a tiny editor that provides paren highlighting, go
to matching paren, and expression evaluation in an interactive buffer.
Having said that, it is hardly maintained, has a Wordstar-like interface
and requires T3X to compile. If you are interested anyways:

http://www.t3x.org/attic/index.html#tse

--
Nils M Holm <n m h @ t 3 x . o r g> -- http://t3x.org/nmh/

soli...@gmx.net

Mar 21, 2008, 8:33:40 AM3/21/08
> Is there anything around?
I just discovered that Guile with readline support does exactly what I
want:

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Readline-Support

Marc Feeley

Mar 21, 2008, 3:10:21 PM3/21/08

Gambit has all of that and it highlights the input in bold to
distinguish it from the output in plain text.

Marc

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Mar 25, 2008, 4:58:53 AM3/25/08
soli...@gmx.net writes:

I would advise:

_\| |/_
_ emacs _
/| |\

This is a nice lisp shell in general. It has even better than
readline editing. It has a very nice paredit mode to edit
parenthesized code. It also has TAB completion. And it works as well
in a terminal as in X (or other native GUIs).

Having put (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/mzscheme") in ~/.emacs

you would launch your scheme shell with:

emacs -f inferior-lisp

Have a look at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ParEdit
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/browse_thread/thread/f1beeab946593057/9e010bdba239db05?lnk=st&q=#9e010bdba239db05
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GaucheScheme
etc...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

Marek Kubica

Mar 25, 2008, 6:14:33 PM3/25/08
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 02:03:39 -0700, solistic wrote:

> * gnu readline line editing

I usually wrap rlwrap (take a recent wersions, old ones don't work
properly) around mzscheme, that works.

MzScheme had readline support some time ago, but it is no longer linked
against readline due to license mismatches.

regards,
Marek