XSieve: XSLT + Scheme

1 view

Oleg A. Paraschenko

Sep 5, 2005, 4:31:46 PM9/5/05
Hello,

I'm glad to announce XSieve, an XML transformation language based on
combination of XSLT and Scheme. XSieve make XSLT to be a general-purpose
language.

XSieve allows to switch between XSLT and Scheme modes. Data have two
alternative representations: as XML nodes and as Scheme values. Data is
automatically converted on demand. The Scheme representation is in fact
SXML format:

http://ssax.sourceforge.net/

If you are intereste, read the full text of announcement, which is
biased towards the XML community:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.xml/msg/ee950d1cd9682d9e

Comments are welcome.

--
Oleg Paraschenko olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/ Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme

Andreas Rottmann

Sep 15, 2005, 5:27:36 PM9/15/05
"Oleg A. Paraschenko" <use...@datahansa.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to announce XSieve, an XML transformation language based on
> combination of XSLT and Scheme. XSieve make XSLT to be a general-purpose
> language.
>
> XSieve allows to switch between XSLT and Scheme modes. Data have two
> alternative representations: as XML nodes and as Scheme values. Data is
> automatically converted on demand. The Scheme representation is in fact
> SXML format:
>
> http://ssax.sourceforge.net/
>
> If you are intereste, read the full text of announcement, which is
> biased towards the XML community:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.xml/msg/ee950d1cd9682d9e

What advantages has it over SSAX-based transformation?

Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann | Rotty@ICQ | 118634484@ICQ | a.rot...@gmx.at
http://yi.org/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://yi.org/rotty/gpg.asc

Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise.

Oleg Paraschenko

Sep 17, 2005, 5:02:45 PM9/17/05
Hello Andreas,

> What advantages has it over SSAX-based transformation?

XSieve=XSLT+Scheme in fact means XSieve=XSLT+SXML. SSAX-based
transformations are based on the SXML format, and therefore should be
fully compatible with XSieve. As result, SSAX-based transformations get
all XSLT features for free.

--
Oleg Paraschenko olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/ XML news in Russian

Andreas Rottmann

Sep 18, 2005, 11:18:40 AM9/18/05
"Oleg Paraschenko" <ole...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Andreas,
>
>> What advantages has it over SSAX-based transformation?
>
> XSieve=XSLT+Scheme in fact means XSieve=XSLT+SXML. SSAX-based
> transformations are based on the SXML format, and therefore should be
> fully compatible with XSieve. As result, SSAX-based transformations get
> all XSLT features for free.

Aren't a SSAX (SXSLT) transformations a superset of what you can do
with XSLT? See:

http://ssax.sourceforge.net/#Documentation

Esp.

http://pobox.com/~oleg/ftp/papers/SXs.pdf
http://pobox.com/~oleg/ftp/papers/SXs-talk.pdf

Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann | Rotty@ICQ | 118634484@ICQ | a.rot...@gmx.at
http://yi.org/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://yi.org/rotty/gpg.asc
Fingerprint | DFB4 4EB4 78A4 5EEE 6219 F228 F92F CFC5 01FD 5B62
v2sw7MYChw5pr5OFma7u7Lw2m5g/l7Di6e6t5BSb7en6g3/5HZa2Xs6MSr1/2p7 hackerkey.com

Software Patents: Where do you want to stifle inovation today?

Oleg Paraschenko

Sep 18, 2005, 3:26:54 PM9/18/05
Hi Andreas,

> Aren't a SSAX (SXSLT) transformations a superset of what you can do with XSLT?

Well, both XSLT and SXSLT are turing complete, so none of them is a
superset of the other. They mostly differ in the following areas:

* XSLT is a templating language, XSLTS is tree rewriting.
* XSLT has a big community and online resources.
* XSLT tools provide infrastructure: XInclude, XML catalogues, ready to
use stylesheets, etc.

The last two points show that XSLT is superiour to SXSLT.

That documents are not convincing. I prefer the following:

SXSLT: Manipulation Language for XML
http://okmij.org/ftp/papers/SXSLT.ps.gz

This document shows that SXSLT is superiour to XSLT.

Do you see the contradiction? XSieve solves it.

Andreas Rottmann

Sep 20, 2005, 1:48:01 PM9/20/05
"Oleg Paraschenko" <ole...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Andreas,
>

>> Aren't a SSAX (SXSLT) transformations a superset of what you can do
>> with XSLT?
>>

> Well, both XSLT and SXSLT are turing complete, so none of them is a
> superset of the other.

Well, I should have said "superior" or "more expressive".

> They mostly differ in the following areas:
>
> * XSLT is a templating language, XSLTS is tree rewriting.
> * XSLT has a big community and online resources.
> * XSLT tools provide infrastructure: XInclude, XML catalogues, ready to
> use stylesheets, etc.
>
> The last two points show that XSLT is superiour to SXSLT.

This shows not that XSLT is superior to XSLT, but rather that the
community and resources available on XSLT is/are bigger. There is also
more Java than Scheme infrastructure available; does that mean that
the Java PL is superior to the Scheme PL?

> That documents are not convincing. I prefer the following:
>
> SXSLT: Manipulation Language for XML
> http://okmij.org/ftp/papers/SXSLT.ps.gz
>
> This document shows that SXSLT is superiour to XSLT.
>
> Do you see the contradiction? XSieve solves it.

There is no contradiction, it show just that many people/businesses
don't go after the best tools.

Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann | Rotty@ICQ | 118634484@ICQ | a.rot...@gmx.at
http://yi.org/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://yi.org/rotty/gpg.asc
Fingerprint | DFB4 4EB4 78A4 5EEE 6219 F228 F92F CFC5 01FD 5B62
v2sw7MYChw5pr5OFma7u7Lw2m5g/l7Di6e6t5BSb7en6g3/5HZa2Xs6MSr1/2p7 hackerkey.com

Always be wary of the Software Engineer who carries a screwdriver.
-- Robert Paul